Citrine again

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Citrine again

Post by Fernando »

I wonder -in fact I ask to the knowledgeable people here- if Citrine unit has been improved in a second or third production bath to date. And if not, after so many test, what do you think about his capabilities.
Clearly is a pretty unit, but also is Grandmaster of Excalibur, but it plays a very mediocre game.
The value of Citrine is around 350 bucks. For guy like me, shipping, handling, customs, etc, that could growth to 500.
It is worthy?

I was affluent, but currently impoverished man regards
Fernando
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Citrine again

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
The value of Citrine is around 350 bucks. For guy like me, shipping, handling, customs, etc, that could growth to 500.
It is worthy?
The program has not been changed but some minor bugs have been removed
Selective Search now rates Le Citrine at 2041
i dont think you would EVER pay $500 for one chess computer Sir Villegas..
even if it were stronger then a World Champion such as Kramnik and made out of Ivory

$50 Bucks(with shipping) is your limit Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve,

Which is stronger excalibur or citrine?. Is there a rating in SS for excalibur?

rating regards
Ricardo
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
It is worthy?
The program has not been changed but some minor bugs have been removed
Selective Search now rates Le Citrine at 2041
i dont think you would EVER pay $500 for one chess computer Sir Villegas..
even if it were stronger then a World Champion such as Kramnik and made out of Ivory

After so many years you still does not know me...
My limit is 55 bucks, all included.
Very hurted regards
Fdo

$50 Bucks(with shipping) is your limit Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:Steve,

rating regards
Ricardo

HI Ricardo
i guess you mean the Excalibur Grandmaster?

Le Citrine is stronger..
Current issue of Selective Search(no.135) says:
Excalibur GM..1798
Novag Le Citrine..2041

Not Even Close Regards
Steve
TurboKing

Post by TurboKing »

rating regards
Ricardo
hello
Excalibur Grandmaster is rated 1845 by schachcomputer.info and Citrine is rated 2084
Novag Citrine is overrated
Mephisto boards ( Exclusive) with a strong module such as Polgar can be sold on Ebay for 300 euros maximum
so in my opinion if I were to spend 200~300 euros for a worthy chess computer I would buy Mephisto board + Polgar module for instance.

cheers
TK
KarmaZen&Oliver

Post by KarmaZen&Oliver »

TurboKing wrote:

rating regards
Ricardo
hello
Excalibur Grandmaster is rated 1845 by schachcomputer.info and Citrine is rated 2084
Novag Citrine is overratedTK
CITRINE have 1977~2025 ELO ¡ ...I´m sure. ;-) I do test, I play.

bye from spain.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:I wonder -in fact I ask to the knowledgeable people here- if Citrine unit has been improved in a second or third production bath to date. And if not, after so many test, what do you think about his capabilities.
Clearly is a pretty unit, but also is Grandmaster of Excalibur, but it plays a very mediocre game.
It is worthy?

I was affluent, but currently impoverished man regards
Fernando
Even Citrine manufacturer Novag themselves tell us that Citrine has
the same program as the Novag Obsidian, running at the same speed,
but with a much improved opening book. Obsidian is rated 1970.
Back in the days of the Scysis Turbostar 432, they brought the same
machine out with an opening book which was quadrupled(!) in size, and
delivered a measly extra 15 rating points. It seems that nowadays they
can tune the book to the program better, and get much better results.
Wait a year
and the 'Star Citrine' will be released, with the Star Sapphire engine, and
also a bigger and better book.
all the best
Larry
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve,

What is the rating of the obsidian in the SS magazine?
Fernando
I test citrine an its rating is somewhere between 2000 and 2050.
I think citrine had played more than 50 games at tournament level in the SS magazine (Steve is this figure ok.?) with other dedicated machines so we can say that this rating is close to the real one , if you are a better player than that then maybe you should wait for the star citrine but maybe is over $ 350 bucks.

more bucks regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

What is the rating of the obsidian in the SS magazine?
I think citrine had played more than 50 games at tournament level in the SS magazine (Steve is this figure ok.?)
SS rates the Obsidian at 1972
i dont know the exact number of games Selective Search has played so far for Le Citrine but i would imagine that at least 50 games have been played probably more

i think the .info ratings are perhaps too high for both Le Citrine and Excalibur GM

Accurate Ratings Regards
Steve
KarmaZen&Oliver

Post by KarmaZen&Oliver »

Larry wrote:Wait a year
and the 'Star Citrine' will be released, with the Star Sapphire engine,
the hardware CPU citrine have 3 k ram ? and obsidian 2k ? ok it´s a small diferents, I don´t remenber exactly, but testing on BT 2450 2650... citrine have similar times... BUT exits some diferents ... very very smalls.

I don´t think that " the program of "star" series, diamond, shappire would install in "hardware" citrine... I think that this is not posible in the actual hardware... THE MB of citrine is "only one integrate chip", the board hardware of "series STAR" is a lot of expensive... have more chips, and it´s more big, in cpu and RAM...

and the "betters" are very smalls... on effect, I have more problems with CITRINE that with series STAR, I think that this is because de "big" book, is very "limit" to smalls engines, and they don´t know have "play" the positions after finish the boolk, in that situation is better a "line" computer that "like" to his module thinking, that a "better" line book but don´t undestard (~incomprehensible) finals positions... ("middle" game)

I think that "exits" in the market, a GOOD and cheaper CPU, ARM, and a optimized version of the ACTUAL program of citrine is more CHEAP that use a "complex" but old, desing of STAR... ( this program need a lot of Mhz, and a lot of ram to a better analisys... and even so, alone he/she stays in ~2100 / elo star series...

maybe a "chesstiger" version... the last final engine, that "not need" a lot of CPU, and run on a "CPU" ARM... on novag...

the "series" star are old... and expensive motherboard.

bye, from SPain.

OLIVer
m0nkee1

Star Ruby

Post by m0nkee1 »

I was offered a Citrine for £80 new but turned it down All the specs sound like the obsidian - and i have the star ruby which think is the same programme.

It plays nicely, hangs pieces in interesting ways. But it's not that strong.
I can beat it c 1 /5 games without much cheating :). Tho I like there
Style

I don't get the citrine. Why make such an expensive board and put a week programme in it. Why not the star Sapphire? programme. It would have been ideal.

Saitek should realease the Spark as a £100 is plastic board. And Novag shoud put the Star Saphire in the citrine Box Then we would have some decent new computers :)
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Citrine's strength can be greatly enhanced by using an external program (I know this is a kind of cheating :wink: )

For example I connect it to a Pocket PC via a Bluetooth adapter and the result is still a dedicated computer (right ?) with a strength of at least 2500 ELO (if not over 2600). This is the extensibility of the Citrine that makes it a great board. And I can also play at FICS with it.

Pascal
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

pgeorges wrote:
For example I connect it to a Pocket PC via a Bluetooth adapter and the result is still a dedicated computer (right ?)
actually no ..it is no longer a dedicated chess computer once connected to a PC or Pocket PC

a dedicated chess computer is one that uses no external computers attached to it to see game info.. or moves or clock times etcetc
and certainly not one where the engine is supplied externally

while i own Le Citrine ... myself and no true Hardcore XXX Collector would ever consider connecting it to an external device..but i realize the appeal of the computer for some is this ability to connect to Arena etc

Regards From the Elders (Definitions Committee)
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I once ask Alain if he had developed a driver for palm so it can be conected to citrine and the palm can be used as an external device, is something similar as if it was a plug-in module.
pgeorges, do you know if it is a driver for palm or pocket pc that can be connected this way?

plug-in modules for citrine regards
Ricardo