Hiarcs Forum One Year Anniversary Contest

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Hiarcs Forum One Year Anniversary Contest

Post by Steve B »

In Celebration of the Hiarcs forum's first anniversary we will be holding our third giveaway contest!

The Question..How many lines of code are there in Hiarcs 1?

the contest begins July 1st and will run until July 29th at which time three winners will be announced
the contest is open to all registered members
two guesses will be allowed per member..guesses can be made at different times throughout the month
all guesses in this thread only
the three lucky winners with the closest correct answers will receive their choice of a one year Subscription to the Computer Chess Magazine Selective Search:
http://www.elhchess.demon.co.uk/sscontnt.htm
OR
Any Hiarcs product from the Official Hiarcs Web Site:
http://www.hiarcs.com/

as an extra added bonus....Mark Uniacke will send all those entering the contest a free version of Hiarcs 1 originally released in 1992.

Good Luck And Happy Birthday To The Hiarcs Forum !

Can everybody that enters please make sure the email address in your profile is correct as this is what I will use to send out hiarcs 1. If it bounces back you wont get a prize!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

What might be useful here to give people with no-programming experience a clue is if someone could post how many lines of code are in some of the open source programmes like Crafty, Glaurung and Fruit.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Will you be able to reliably detect multiple entries by people with many different handles? I could see something like this being used to sabotage someone else's votes. For example, if tomski1981 made guesses of 1000 and 10,000, then miles could make guesses of 999 and 1001, and capa could make guesses of 9999 and 10001, and then tomski's vote has been sabotaged by one and the same person.
tomski1981

Post by tomski1981 »

(yet another thing i would complain about... :) )
“Tactics require observation, strategy requires thought.” (Max Euwe)
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Harvey Williamson wrote:What might be useful here to give people with no-programming experience a clue is if someone could post how many lines of code are in some of the open source programmes like Crafty, Glaurung and Fruit.
Do empty lines count?

Crafty is massive, 45596 lines. 12564 of which are comments. Nalimov's tablebase code takes up 6730 lines.
Glaurung 1.2.1 was 7021 lines.
Glaurung 2.1, 17106.
Strelka, about 5950 (I don't have an unmodified copy at hand). Only 170 empty lines! Still very readable.
Micro-Max is 133 lines. Or one line if you remove all the unnecessary stuff, such as linebreaks. There's also a website's worth of comments.
Scorpio, 8809.
Fruit 2.1 was 15386 lines, Toga 1.2.1 about a thousand more. Current Fruit is a completely different engine, at least code-wise (bitboards can do that to a mailbox engine).
Arasan 10.4 is 39354 lines. More non-comment lines than even Crafty! Like Crafty, it uses Nalimov EGTBs.

What language was Hiarcs 1 written in? All of the above are C or C++, like most engines. I think the strongest non-C/C++ engine is Delfi (Pascal and assembly).
Last edited by Vempele on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Vempele wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:What might be useful here to give people with no-programming experience a clue is if someone could post how many lines of code are in some of the open source programmes like Crafty, Glaurung and Fruit.
Do empty lines count?

Crafty is massive, 45596 lines. 12564 of which are comments. Nalimov's tablebase code takes up 6730 lines.
Glaurung 1.2.1 was 7021 lines.
Glaurung 2.1, 17106.
Strelka, about 5950 (I don't have an unmodified copy at hand). Only 170 empty lines! Still very readable.
Micro-Max is 133 lines. Or one line if you remove all the unnecessary stuff, such as linebreaks. There's also a website's worth of comments.
Scorpio, 8809.
Fruit 2.1 was 15386 lines, Toga 1.2.1 about a thousand more. Current Fruit is a completely different engine, at least code-wise (bitboards can do that to a mailbox engine).
Arasan 10.4 is 39354 lines. More non-comment lines than even Crafty! Like Crafty, it uses Nalimov EGTBs.

What language was Hiarcs 1 written in?
Thanks for all the information. There certainly were no Tbs in H1 - I will try and get Mark to post a few details about language etc... in the next few days, he is unavailable at the moment.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

turbojuice1122 wrote:Will you be able to reliably detect multiple entries by people with many different handles?

we have held several contests in the past and so far there have been no problems and i suspect things will go smoothly with this one
we have the ability to detect two members posting from the same ISP address but i guess if someone is hell bent on cheating they will try anything
anyway...before we announce any winners we will be providing the results to Tomski for review
perhaps he can detect any...

Inconsistencies Regards
Steve
tomski1981

Post by tomski1981 »

wow, so i could win a Hiarcs 12.1 UCI engine? that's mighty generous of hiarcs...
“Tactics require observation, strategy requires thought.” (Max Euwe)
overtond

Post by overtond »

Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Please note that I'm participating for the fun and not for the prizes, as I already have them. So, just in case I win, please, give my prizes to the 4th place, or something. ;)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:300

Please note that I'm participating for the fun and not for the prizes, as I already have them.
you already have a subscription to Selective Search?
Startled Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Here is my first guess, I too am entering for fun and a copy of Hiarcs 1. If I fluke another win then please donate my prize to the next closest.

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote: If I fluke another win then please donate my prize to the next closest.
i think trying to figure out who will actually receive the prizes is going to be harder then guessing the answer to the Contest Question
:P

Pulling Out My Slide Ruler Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

="Steve B
i think trying to figure out who will actually receive the prizes is going to be harder then guessing the answer to the Contest Question
:P

Pulling Out My Slide Ruler Regards
Steve
Well at this rate Overtond is going to win the lot! :lol:

Come on everyone have a stab, the odds are actually quite good.

Better than the national lottery regards

Paul
fallstalk

Guess #1

Post by fallstalk »

-----> 870 <------ *this is not really a guess, but using deep scientific logic I am sure this is the exact number. Also, after winning a copy of HIARCS 1 I'll combine it with HIARCS 12 to be one of the first with HIARCS 13...