CXG Sphinx Accolade

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
klute

CXG Sphinx Accolade

Post by klute »

Can anyone tell me to what extent the Gyula Horvath program contained in the CXG Sphinx Accolade (distributed by Excalibur in the early '90s) differs from the later Ron Nelson Grandmaster program in terms of book, strength, playing style and so on?

The two programs would appear to be closely related having the same ROM, RAM, levels and shared CXG Sphinx / Excalibur pedigree. The Accolade has different selectable playing styles and runs at 10MHz compared to the 12MHz of the Grandmaster, which might account for a few ELO points difference but are there any substantial differences? I'm aware Nelson incorporated some Spracklen ideas into the Grandmaster program and there are probably other software improvements he made, but there's not much information available comparing the two.

Enquiring minds need to know regards
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Only guy here that can answer that is Steve Blincoe, who has an intimate nexus with Nelson.
In my opinion, yes, Nelson surely used some Spracklen ideas and perhaps more, as in any case everybody does if they can put a hand on other software. As much Spracklen software was sold to Fidelity and so it came to Excaliburs vaults, it is easy to suppose Nelson has had all the time and opportunity to dissemble the thing and get at last some decent program.

Fern
Festina Lente
mclane

Re: CXG Sphinx Accolade

Post by mclane »

klute wrote:Can anyone tell me to what extent the Gyula Horvath program contained in the CXG Sphinx Accolade (distributed by Excalibur in the early '90s) differs from the later Ron Nelson Grandmaster program in terms of book, strength, playing style and so on?

The two programs would appear to be closely related having the same ROM, RAM, levels and shared CXG Sphinx / Excalibur pedigree. The Accolade has different selectable playing styles and runs at 10MHz compared to the 12MHz of the Grandmaster, which might account for a few ELO points difference but are there any substantial differences? I'm aware Nelson incorporated some Spracklen ideas into the Grandmaster program and there are probably other software improvements he made, but there's not much information available comparing the two.

Enquiring minds need to know regards
IMO the pandix clones play passive and are sometimes helpless in tactics.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Antonio Marques

Re: CXG Sphinx Accolade

Post by Antonio Marques »

[/quote]

IMO the pandix clones play passive and are sometimes helpless in tactics.[/quote]

Hi Thorsten

Pandix is a freeware? Engine?

[]s
Antonio Marques