To Tord (author of Glaurung) and Pascal (author of Scidppc)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
MSK

To Tord (author of Glaurung) and Pascal (author of Scidppc)

Post by MSK »

Hello all ,

It's possible to add Glaurung engine under Scidppc :?: , because Glaurung is strong under slow cpu (ppc) .

Thanks
Tord Romstad

Re: To Tord (author of Glaurung) and Pascal (author of Scidp

Post by Tord Romstad »

MSK wrote:Hello all ,

It's possible to add Glaurung engine under Scidppc :?: ,
I'm sure it is possible, but I'm afraid I can't do much to help making it happen. As far as I know, the development tools for Pocket PC run only on Windows computers, and I have no plans of getting one of those.

Of course, because my engine is free, it would be possible for someone else to do the port. I could help by answering questions about my engine, but I don't think there would be much else I could do.
because Glaurung is strong under slow cpu (ppc) .
I'm not so sure about that: Glaurung 1 is getting quite old and is no longer competitive on any platform. On the other hand, its active and sacrifical style of play might make it an entertaining opponent for humans who want to play against handheld devices.

Glaurung 2, which I hope will be quite strong when it's finished, will probably be trickier to port to handheld computers, because of its bigger memory requirements.

Tord
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

I just released today a Beta of ScidPocket, which works very well for me with Toga. My plans were to port first UCI engines, so if Glaurung belongs to this category, it is possible.

Concerning the difficulty of the port I used for Toga on Pocket PC cegcc-arm which emulates all the API used under Unix, so I am pretty sure there would be no real problem for Glaurung (if I can trigger down its memory requirements).

Rignt now the things I'd like to achieve first are to have an easy to install product, with a high level of stability. This is in good way, but not finished yet.

Pascal
MSK

Post by MSK »

Big thanks to Pascal and Tord .