Pocket Fritz 3.2 Update

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Tsukrov

Pocket Fritz 3.2 Update

Post by Tsukrov »

And here comes the Pocket Fritz 3.2 Update!

English CAB-File.
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/PocketFr ... ateENG.CAB

The Update contains all the files from 3.1 Update. The former can be deinstalled BEFORE installing 3.2.

What's new?

* A new piece set.
* Extended reader functions.
* "Keep Alive"-option.
* Extended Tactics Training (Example from CBM 127)
* Quick Navigation through the commented games.
* Small GUI-Improvements.
* ChessMaster Books (OBK) are supported
* Bug-fixes.

Bonus Material:
Glaurung 2.1 Engine by Tord Romstad
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/Glaurung2.1.CAB

Greko 6.0 by Vladimir Medvedev
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/Greko6.0.CAB

Turing by Alan Turing.
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/Turing.CAB
Implemented by Mathias Feist and Ken Thompson

Media by GM Vlastimil Hort (eng)
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/HortMedia.zip

Endgames ABC as e-Book for PF3
http://fritzserver.info/pf3/32/EndgameABC.zip
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks for the new update, just been trying the new features.I like the endgame training improvement, tactics training and new engines but still have Hiarcs 12.1 as my 1st choice.How many new positions are in the extended tactics training?
The new chess set design "Ivory" still does not impress me much and all it does is make the "Diagram" design look all that better.
Any idea on how strong the Turing or Greko 6.0 engines are, as I don't want too much clutter on my PF3 and think I will limit to only the best.
Still waiting for Rybka or Naum to make it to PF3 :cry:
When that happens PF3 will be complete :)
Tsukrov

Post by Tsukrov »

There are no new positions for training. Just some changes in the training process.
Turing, I would say, is 1600-1800.
Greko - 2200-2300.

Best wishes

Stas
NaughtyKnight

Post by NaughtyKnight »

Stas.... posting the update just before Christmas day... ;-)

It sneaked under my radar while I was *trying* to play Wii Chess (bought by my other half!).

Thanks for the update, which I am downloading now.

P.s. Should there not be more publicity for PF3 on the official chessbase web site? I have not seen much. keep up the good work!
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks for the free engines.Any news on commercial engines planning to make a PF3 version.
Good to see the keep alive function, as I can turn off the screen and still know that it working in the back-ground.
The tactics training was better in the original version with the coach avatar giving advice.
Still impressed with the PGN loading capabilities.I just installed PocketGM and it has long delays in opening big files, and somtimes gives error messages.
horstgrau

Post by horstgrau »

Thanks for the update, Stas!
It's really good to see my favourite chess-program being actively supported. I was looking forward to a weak engine, and there it is: Turing. Exactly what I wanted, so that I can play a quick blitz-game and be able to win.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Cubeman, that the Diagram-pieces are still better than the new Ivory-pieces. But I don't need Rybka or Naum, Hiarcs is strong enough to make a descent analysis.
I'd like to install some selfmade-pieces myself. Could it be possible in future versions, to install custom-piece-sets? Or is it completley out of question?
Keep up the Good work!
Horst
PS: Happy New Year!!!
Tsukrov

Post by Tsukrov »

@NaughtyKnight
The official 3.2 (or 3.2.1) update comes next week. Everything was ready, but we wanted to keep the potential support-wave after the holidays.

(Inofficially) I think 3.2 is the last PF3 Update.

@Cubeman
The tactics training was better in the original version with the coach avatar giving advice.
Yup, the hat-guy is really charismatic :D. I've read somebody describing him as "Big Mafia Boss".
The reason to remove him from the tip-window were the lengthy tips from MoveForMove-column of D.King. The improvements are feedbacks for sub-optimal moves. Now you can see feedbacks, saved for special training-games. Just like in Fritz.

@horstgrau
I like "Ivory" more than "Wood". The purpose was to extend the pseudo 3D.
We are planning another solution.
NO, you can not use your own pieces, since there are 7 different sizes of them.

BUT, I'll release an fan add-on with user-created pieces from Big PC Fritz.

(Whispering:) The pieces are saved in the PFTextures.dll. There are 3 versions of it in the install CAB for different screen resolutions. If you are familiar with resouces hacking, you can replace them.
So, if you have a piece set in 7 resolutions, you can send it to me, I'll put them in the fan add-on next week.
horstgrau

Post by horstgrau »

You're right, Ivory is nicer than Wood.
Unfortunately, I don't have a seven-resolution-set, and just resizing looks awkward. But modifying the DLL works fine, thanks a lot for the hint! I just squeeze two resolutions into the DLL, that's enough for playing.
I'm looking forward to trying out your "fan-add-on"!
horstgrau

Post by horstgrau »

Will the "fan-add-on" be released here? Or on the Chessbase site?
Tsukrov

Post by Tsukrov »

I've reconsidered the "fan-staff".
It was good enough to be packaged in the official update.

Just download the update from the same link.
The new version is marked as 3.2.1

It's 3.2 + Russian localization + 2 new good piece sets + one small improvement.

I hope, everything will be published on chessbase-site.
horstgrau

Post by horstgrau »

Yes, they've published it on the Chessbase-Site. The two new sets are nice! I like the Fritz-pieces best. After all, what is a Fritz-program without Fritz-pieces?

OK, so Pocket Fritz 3 is complete now. What's planned for PF 4? Just kidding.. :wink:

Well done!
Tsukrov

Post by Tsukrov »

OK, so Pocket Fritz 3 is complete now.
Yup, it'so.
I think, 3.2 was the last update.
We should save something for PF4, shouldn't we?
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

DGT compatibility for PF4 please!!!

Thank you for 3.2.1 :D
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Great update, finally there are some really nice looking piece sets.I agree with horstgrau that the "Fritz" set is most appealing, also the "USCF" is nice too.I have to say that PF3 is the best out of all the PDA chess software that I have owned or tried and well worth every penny I spent.
I can now only wait for some more commercial engines to make the port.
Thanks again for the update and I look forward to the eventual release of PF4 when ever that will be.Some ideas for future release, support for FRC or Chess 960, an analysis board where you can follow the main line.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I've been enjoying getting my butt whipped by Hiarcs in PF3 but have a couple of questions if I can ask them here?

Is it possible to do multiple PV when in analysis mode like I can in PF2? I appreciate it's only a PPC but sometimes I'm away for protracted periods from any kind of normal PC and this can be useful.

Is the only way of using a really large book to use a chessmaster book? Previously if you owned Shredder you could export the book into PF2. I've had a poke about but the books appear to have changed formats?

Thanks in advance to any help!

Paul