The New Pocket Fritz 4(Hiarcs) Wins in Mercosur 2009 9.5/10

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mschribr wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Hiarcs 9 on an old Palm in 2005 won a match against a 2600+GM. An iphone 4 with Hiarcs 13.xx and latest opening book would beat any GM in a match. The speed of the iPhone 4 is probably faster than the PC's some of the old computer v GM games were played on.

http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/phvgmjg.htm

another match from 2005 http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/gmvolkov.htm and another http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/gmbobras.htm
All of the games Hiarcs on a phone played are faster than 40 moves in 2 hours. Then Hiarcs on a phone never beat a GM at 40 moves in 2 hours. Then to say Hiarcs on a phone plays at GM level is misleading. To say that Hiarcs on an iphone will beat any GM is ridiculous.
Mark
It is not ridiculous if anyone can set up a match i will gladly bet £1000 that Hiarcs, on an iPhone 4, would win over say a minimum of 6 games. I would even guess that Hiarcs will not lose any games.
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Harvey Williamson wrote: It is not ridiculous if anyone can set up a match i will gladly bet £1000 that Hiarcs, on an iPhone 4, would win over say a minimum of 6 games. I would even guess that Hiarcs will not lose any games.
If Hiarcs 13.xx on the iphone 4 is so strong then why doesn’t Chessbase or Applied Computer Concepts play a 2600+GM at 40 moves in 2 hours? It could say Hiarcs is the only program on a phone to beat a 2600+GM at 40 moves in 2 hours.
I checked GM Sergey Volkov was 2622 not 2682. GM Piotr Bobras was 2563 not 2655.
Mark
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mschribr wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: It is not ridiculous if anyone can set up a match i will gladly bet £1000 that Hiarcs, on an iPhone 4, would win over say a minimum of 6 games. I would even guess that Hiarcs will not lose any games.
If Hiarcs 13.xx on the iphone 4 is so strong then why doesn’t Chessbase or Applied Computer Concepts play a 2600+GM at 40 moves in 2 hours? It could say Hiarcs is the only program on a phone to beat a 2600+GM at 40 moves in 2 hours.
I checked GM Sergey Volkov was 2622 not 2682. GM Piotr Bobras was 2563 not 2655.
Mark
Ratings change. Why would CB pay for Hiarcs on a phone to play a match as they have nothing to do with the product. The match is unlikely to happen for a couple of reasons. The cost would be huge and the battle with the GM's is over, the computers have won :(

If a Palm can do it in 2005 there is nothing to prove. Today's so called phones are actually hand held Computers. However if someone wants to set the match up and can find a sponsor we will be there. I doubt you will find a sponsor as the interest in these matches is, sadly, gone.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
mschribr wrote:
Mark
Ratings change. Why would CB pay for Hiarcs on a phone to play a match as they have nothing to do with the product. The match is unlikely to happen for a couple of reasons. The cost would be huge and the battle with the GM's is over, the computers have won :(

If a Palm can do it in 2005 there is nothing to prove. Today's so called phones are actually hand held Computers. However if someone wants to set the match up and can find a sponsor we will be there. I doubt you will find a sponsor as the interest in these matches is, sadly, gone.
Well, I'd certainly be interested in seeing a match like this! My money would be on Hiarcs all the way.

I wonder if anyone knows a GM that could offer an opinion on the strength of chess programs on the iPhone?
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Tsukrov wrote:Not so many.
<20kNps in the early positions, like any other device.

They are not very different.
Do we know what the depth of the Hiarcs Pocket Fritz 4 is?