Rybka 4

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Rybka 4

Post by Harvey Williamson »

below is what Vas has to say about R4 - of course he is free to do what he wants but what about the promised bug fix for R3 - imho paying customers must receive this without paying again.
I’d like to announce our plans for the rest of 2009 and beyond.
Rybka 4

Rybka 4 will be available in the first part of 2010. Full Rybka 4 packages will be put together by ChessBase and Convekta (ChessOK trademark), and a Rybka 4 package without GUI will also be available from RybkaChess. Whether you buy Rybka 4 from ChessBase, Convekta or RybkaChess, you will get the exact same Rybka 4 engines, available on the same day, with the same level of GUI integration, and at roughly the same price.

ChessBase will handle this release in the normal way - they will integrate Rybka 4’s new features into their Fritz GUI, and will document the product and begin sales when everything is ready.

Convekta will begin selling Aquarium + Rybka 4 packages already in ‘09. The GUI will be delivered upon purchase, while the Rybka 4 engines will be delivered as an upgrade when they are ready.

Like Rybka 3, Rybka 4 will be a one-time release and will be the only publicly available PC Rybka version for at least 14 months after the release date. There will again be a single-processor version and a multi-processor version. The early buyers should understand that there is no Rybka 4 specification at this time. I make no promises now about the release date, about the search and evaluation improvements, about the GUI features & different Rybka personalities, and about any relation between Rybka 4 and the internet Rybka versions (see below). Detailed information about Rybka 4 will be available at the time of release.
Rybka 4 opening book

The Rybka 4 opening book will be made by Jiri Dufek and will be sold separately by both ChessBase and Convekta. The two versions of the book will be in different formats but the content will be the same.
Internet Rybka hosting

It will soon be possible to rent the very latest Rybka version running on remote hardware via internet. This will allow us to make the latest Rybka version available at all times, give us a chance to seamlessly and continuously add features, fix bugs, and make cosmetic improvements, and let users effectively share hardware costs. Down the road, possibilities for interesting forms of multi-person analysis, remote clustering, and data sharing, may be introduced. These remote Rybkas will run on high-speed servers, and users will have the choice between renting one server, a single core on one server, or a cluster of servers.

ChessBase and Convekta will both support connecting to these machines. ChessBase’s service will go through PlayChess, they will announce the details and begin the service when they are ready. Convekta will have a new server dedicated to this service, and they will include some pre-paid remote Rybka time into their various products. ChessBase and Convekta will be responsible for all aspects of their services other than the engine and the hardware, and their documentation should be consulted for the precise terms under which remote time is purchased. Detailed information about the rented Rybka versions will be made available and will be continuously updated once hosting begins.

Vas
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I notice Jiri is now the book maker....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Yawnnnnnn

Post by Fernando »

I cannot care less about Rybka engine and/or the new Gui. Why should I, a lesser player?
I have enjoyed a lot more the different options of players by Sch. last incarnation. That caters for player like me, not a 3400 Elo machine with features for pros.
Hope that Hiarcs fathers get the message.

fern
Festina Lente
Carl Bicknell

Re: Rybka 4

Post by Carl Bicknell »

below is what Vas has to say about R4 - of course he is free to do what he wants but what about the promised bug fix for R3 - imho paying customers must receive this without paying again.
Harvey, for once I agree with you totally.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

one cannot thank Mr Uniacke enough for Pocket HIARCS, how else could we pass the time in those boring meetings or conference calls 8)
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Harvey Williamson wrote:below is what Vas has to say about R4 - of course he is free to do what he wants but what about the promised bug fix for R3 - imho paying customers must receive this without paying again.
I so much agree with your point of view on this! :P
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience come from bad decisions."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ted Summers wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:below is what Vas has to say about R4 - of course he is free to do what he wants but what about the promised bug fix for R3 - imho paying customers must receive this without paying again.
Go and post this in the CCC forum,the Rybka's sectarians will rip you off....

The fanatism of Rybka's fanboys is becoming so annoying lately that even to discus a similar issue like this will cause a vicious reaction from their side....

To me Vasik has gained totaly the status of a liar by not releasing the promised Rybka 3+ version....

Thanks God there are still honest authors out there like Mark Uniacke that are men enough to keep their promises....

Dr.D
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dr. D i am going to be near where you are the next couple of weeks - so if you are in Aqaba i will waive to you from the beach in Eilat otherwise from the other end of the King Hussain Bridge when I am in Jerusalem.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Dr. D i am going to be near where you are the next couple of weeks - so if you are in Aqaba i will waive to you from the beach in Eilat otherwise from the other end of the King Hussain Bridge when I am in Jerusalem.
Hi Harvey,
Say it and I will be there :D
Why don't you come to Aqaba to visit me,I have a big appartment down there and I only use it a couple of times during the year as a vacation spot....
I'll be so happy to see you in person regards,
Dr.D

P.S.Even if not this time,the invitation is valid whenever you decide :D
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Dr. D i am going to be near where you are the next couple of weeks - so if you are in Aqaba i will waive to you from the beach in Eilat otherwise from the other end of the King Hussain Bridge when I am in Jerusalem.
Hi Harvey,
Say it and I will be there :D
Why don't you come to Aqaba to visit me,I have a big appartment down there and I only use it a couple of times during the year as a vacation spot....
I'll be so happy to see you in person regards,
Dr.D

P.S.Even if not this time,the invitation is valid whenever you decide :D
Sounds good but I don't think I have time to get a Visa to cross from Eilat this time. I have done it before and I enjoyed Aqaba. I have visited Jordan many times often on route to Baghdad. If you can make it to Jerusalem on the 26th I will be celebrating my Birthday here www.theamericancolony.com a great Hotel in east Jerusalem.
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

The fanatism of Rybka's fanboys is becoming so annoying lately that even to discus a similar issue like this will cause a vicious reaction from their side....

To me Vasik has gained totaly the status of a liar by not releasing the promised Rybka 3+ version....

Thanks God there are still honest authors out there like Mark Uniacke that are men enough to keep their promises....

Dr.D
I think that's a bit strong. There are tons of people complaining on the Rybka website (I'm one of them) and elsewhere.

I don't like this new model one little bit though - I agree with that.
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Ted Summers wrote:

Dr.D
Did you see this poll I post on the Rybka website? Of the 60 people that reponded at the time that I am writing this, 81% think that the Rybka 3+ version is dead. Vas has said nothing to disspell this so far. Seems to me that alot of people are starting to dis-trust him on this (Rybka 3+) issue. It's a creditably issue as far as I am concerned, and he is starting to loose his.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=13495
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience come from bad decisions."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ted Summers wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Ted Summers wrote:

Dr.D
Did you see this poll I post on the Rybka website? Of the 60 people that reponded at the time that I am writing this, 81% think that the Rybka 3+ version is dead. Vas has said nothing to disspell this so far. Seems to me that alot of people are starting to dis-trust him on this (Rybka 3+) issue. It's a creditably issue as far as I am concerned, and he is starting to loose his.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=13495
Heading there now and yes,the Rybka 3+ issue has ruined his reputation in my opinion....it's a move with ?? from his side....
Dr.D
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Carl Bicknell wrote:

Dr.D
I think that's a bit strong. There are tons of people complaining on the Rybka website (I'm one of them) and elsewhere.

I don't like this new model one little bit though - I agree with that.
No,it's the naked truth and people must start to open their eyes and minds and to accept the facts as they realy are....
Dr.D
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

I liked the Rybka 2 business model. The end user involvement brought some excitement and sparkle back to computer chess.

The Ryka 3 model left a big gap particularly now it seems there will be no Rybka 3+ putting the well recorded bugs right.

When I read in the Rybka 4 model quote Vas "Another consideration is that we'll probably make the free version stronger, especially if the commercial version is eventually discontinued"

I find the switch is very close to the OFF position.

Maybe there is an opening for end user participation for developing the next HIARCS distribution model?:-)

PeterG