My 250th Birthday Gift

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

My 250th Birthday Gift

Post by spacious_mind »

I am celebrating with a glass of wine in my hand my 250th birthday gift. What do you think about this tiny little machine.

I was actually surprised at how small it was so i figured I would share the photo:

I am quite impressed with it Quite a nifty little hand held.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: My 250th Birthday Gift

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:I am celebrating with a glass of wine in my hand my 250th birthday gift. What do you think about this tiny little machine.

I was actually surprised at how small it was so i figured I would share the photo:

I am quite impressed with it Quite a nifty little hand held.

Best regards
Happy Birthday Nick
i wish you 250 more
:P

personally i like the little Jasper and you hit it right on the head
it feels great to hold in the hand
i also especially like the Jasper Special:

Regards From Jasper Florida
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

hi Steve,

Actually that is the Jasper Special. The Jasper is still missing in my collection :(.

What are the differences between the two?

best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:hi Steve,

Actually that is the Jasper Special. The Jasper is still missing in my collection :(.

best regards
hi Nick
as far as i know there is no difference what so ever
in fact the manuals are totally identical EXCEPT for the name on the front page..and the two computers make the same identical moves
the only difference is the label on the backside of the computer

perhaps the Special Jasper was sold by Novag as part of a package along with other merchandise as a holiday promotion kinda thing?

Grasping At Straws Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:

best regards
hi Nick
in fact the manuals are totally identical EXCEPT for the name on the front page..and the two computers make the same identical moves

perhaps the Special Jasper was sold by Novag as part of a package along with other merchandise as a holiday promotion kinda thing?

Steve
Hi Steve
So there really is no need for me to try and have both. Thanks for the info.

How do you test? I normally start them both with f3 for a quick test and then let them play there moves. Obviously they are set up the same.

For a thorough clone test I do something which is a lot more involved. (But I dont open machines unless they are broke. I leave that to others :D )

Regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:

best regards
hi Nick

Steve
Hi Steve
So there really is no need for me to try and have both. Thanks for the info.

How do you test? I normally start them both with f3 for a quick test and then let them play there moves. Obviously they are set up the same.

For a thorough clone test I do something which is a lot more involved. (But I dont open machines unless they are broke. I leave that to others :D )

Regards
i also hate to open a chess computer Nick

i check this by having both computers play a few games against another computer and comparing the moves,move times and evaluations(if shown)
i let them use their books because if there is a difference in the books then we can say the computers are not identical
if i want to check the program only(such as comparing the Citrine program to the Star Ruby) then i would play games with books turned off(if possible) or from a startup position well out of book

usually when i want to compare the clock speed of two suspected clones i use a one move test ..usually a4 or h4(assuming both moves have no book replies) and watch to see when the computers reach a certain ply depth(usually 6)

BTW..i also notice that the two computers have different model numbers..
Jasper..Art.no 38701
Jasper Special.. Art.no. 38711

Best
Steve
PS..Hallsworth informs me he is expecting your Citrine in within two weeks
did you receive an email from him about that?