Sign this petition!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Sign this petition!!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

http://www.bcf.org.uk/national/2007/hp-cas_feb07.htm

Sadly only UK citizens can sign this one but maybe this is something that can be done in other countries?

Chess in the Olympics!!

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Robert Weck

Re: Sign this petition!!

Post by Robert Weck »

Harvey Williamson wrote:http://www.bcf.org.uk/national/2007/hp-cas_feb07.htm

Sadly only UK citizens can sign this one but maybe this is something that can be done in other countries?

Chess in the Olympics!!

Best Wishes,

Harvey
When i was asked about 25 years ago, what kind of sports i prefer, and my answer was "Chess!", all people laughed about that! :cry:

And i am afraid, the situation did not change much until today...

Robert

P.S.: Thank God, that nowadays i can do "real" :wink: physical sports (i had severe asthma these days!), so today i can choose different answers... :wink:
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Hi,
I am not sure if chess has even been recognised as sport in the UK or has this changed?

Regards
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

BigBen wrote:Hi,
I am not sure if chess has even been recognised as sport in the UK or has this changed?

Regards
This petition is being run by the British Chess federation so i doubt it has been recognised
TurboKing

Post by TurboKing »

Hello

I have to disagree with you
Chess is not a sport since it is not a physical activity.
You use your muscles when practicing tennis , football , golf , and so on ...to make you win against your opponent unlike chess which doesn't involve any muscle
it only involves your brain to make you better , smarter , and no matter how physically strong or physically skilled you are , it won't make you win any game.
are Monopoly/Scrabble/Sudoku/puzzles sports ? No they are not
all these reflexion games are not sports , including Chess.
Claiming that Chess is not a sport is not a shame for the Chess community , it does not make it less interesting/valuable.
Mind games should not be considered as sports because they are not.
I don't mean to criticize or diparage Chess , I only say what I think is true.
Regards
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Boris,
TurboKing wrote:I have to disagree with you
Chess is not a sport since it is not a physical activity.
You use your muscles when practicing tennis , football , golf , and so on ...to make you win against your opponent unlike chess which doesn't involve any muscle
I have to disagree with you.
I don't know if chess is really a sport but they are others activities which do not really require muscles and which are not only considered as sports but have their place in olympic games : take for example shooting on fixed targets !

The point in common with chess : you need concentration and discipline.

I have not played a lot in club/competition but when you stay concentrated for a four-six hours game, you are tired in the end.

Best regards,
Alain
Alain

Post by Alain »

a few years ago, chess was recognized as sport in France :)

but a few years later, it lost this status :(

why ? because of the lack of anti-doping controls in chess competitions !!! :?

best regards,
Alain
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

From Wikipedia:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

If racing (in vehicles) is a sport, chess may also be considered a sport.