New Tournament Announced

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

New Tournament Announced

Post by Fernando »

It will be played in my home and every one wanting to be part of it do not even need to come to Chile or even play trough Internet. They must only send his gear to my home and I, personally, will operate the stuff.
The competition will last about 5 years, but at the end of it the stuff will be sent, if possible, to his legitimate owners.
There is also a little fee to be payed of about 125 bucks, but I can accept payment in partialities.

Lets the Party Begins regard
Admiral Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Fern
good to see that you are still alive after all of the earthquakes
i was going to visit your home one evening in the off chance it was destroyed and i could rummage through the wreckage ..under the cover of darkness ..and perhaps pick up a buried chess computer or two if i was lucky

i guess that wont be necessary now

Your Caring Friend Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

The TASC R40 is on it way to you and the check is in the mail. :)

James
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

One Turk is also being shipped, just drop a Tortilla into the front slot every 30 mins
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Fern,

Nice to read you again, when i was in Chile in march last year you told me you live in Santiago and as far as i know the earthquake there was not so tough as in Concepcion, hope all your family is ok. I will send my citrine to Chile to you as soon i finish the match against the polgar (2). The citrine goes with an earthquake insurance just in case.

a year behind an earthquake regards
Ricardo
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Mr Babbage is on his way to Chile

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Erdo is on his way also

THE TURK (AUTOMATON)
(born 1769, died 1854) Hungary
[what is this?]
The Turk was designed by Hungarian engineer and inventor Baron Wolfgang von Kempelen in 1769. It was billed as a "chess playing automaton" capable of beating even the strongest challengers. During a performance, the showman would open two cabinets to display a large empty space, and then a third cabinet to display an area of tightly packed machinery, presumably the "brains" of the contraption. The secret of this hoax was that a normal sized man could recline within the machine, and remain unseen by the audience by repositioning himself during the initial display of the device's interior.

Its first performance was for the Habsburg Court in Vienna in 1770. It was exhibited thereafter although somewhat intermittently for the next 84 years.

After von Kempelen's death in 1804, the Turk was purchased by Bavarian showman Johann Nepomuk Maelzel. In 1809 during the Wagram campaign Napoleon Bonaparte played against it in Vienna. For a period it was in the private collection of Prince Eugene de Beauharnais but Maelzel acquired it again in 1817.

Further exhibitions followed but in 1837 both Maelzel and the Turks operator, Schlumberger (who was the tutor of Pierre Charles Fournier de Saint Amant) died from Yellow fever while returning to the USA from Havana. The Turk ended its days in the Chinese Museum in Philadelphia where it was destroyed by a fire in 1854.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Here is part of the entry fee:

I love the above photo. Hans in China had all these coins left over. Not sure the maid in the Hotel was able to read English?!

Hans is working on collecting money to enter Rybka

Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Chessbase will send the engine room

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

OH all right
i guess i can part with a computer to celebrate the survival of our Admiral

For my part..i will send this very expensive chess computer..cost me a small fortune but the cause is well worth it

Charitable Regards
Steve
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Great thread :) :)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Highendman wrote:Great thread :) :)
Fern gets the award for the best thread of 2010 so far. It ranks alongside quotes like this:

"It is exhilarating to play [HIARCS], more, a lot more than with any other strong program. It is a real pleasure to be defeated that way. Fast, lightning, unexpected death." - Fernando Villegas, April 2007
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Fernando must be very , very pleased about the response to his tournament. Event of the year! :)
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Fernando, I am glad that this good, I will send you pocket calculator of David Levy with which you can make statistical calculations and other computers with which you can play the game under any condition and situation ...... :roll: the road goes Visa of Chess.

Fidelity Chess Card for all types of extreme situations:

PD:I have placed my hopes in this great machine pocket.

Regards.... :wink:
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

My 1st ever machine it only plays Black but Karpov likes it. I will send it to Fern