Hiarcs for iPad?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mythbuster

Hiarcs for iPad?

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
will there be a Hiarcs Version for the Apple iPad? The iPad has a much bigger Display with a higher Resolution Screen (1024x768) ... the iPhone Versions is working but upscaled the graphics are really bad! Also the new 1 GHz CPU is really strong! The Shredder iPad version is around 100 Elo Points stronger than the iPhone version on my iPhone.

So I really hope for an iPad Version!

Kind Regards,
Sascha
Tord Romstad

Re: Hiarcs for iPad?

Post by Tord Romstad »

Mythbuster wrote:Hi,
will there be a Hiarcs Version for the Apple iPad?
Possibly, but it looks like you'll have to wait for a while. Unfortunately, the iPad is still not available here in Europe. The iPad simulator in Apple's SDK is good enough for getting started, but some testing on an actual device is also necessary.
Mythbuster

Re: Hiarcs for iPad?

Post by Mythbuster »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Mythbuster wrote:Hi,
will there be a Hiarcs Version for the Apple iPad?
Possibly, but it looks like you'll have to wait for a while. Unfortunately, the iPad is still not available here in Europe. The iPad simulator in Apple's SDK is good enough for getting started, but some testing on an actual device is also necessary.
Right now I am in the Netherlands ... so there is always a way to get it ... if you really want ...

But nevertheless if the developer is interested I am willing to join Beta testing ... I did it for several other chess systems ...

Regards,
Sascha
bretti

Post by bretti »

Go on!
The iPad is really great and Shredder is just available!

Sure I will buy Hiarcs for iPad as soon as possible...
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

bretti wrote:Go on!
The iPad is really great and Shredder is just available!

Sure I will buy Hiarcs for iPad as soon as possible...
Yep! And tChess Pro also. It is a very good adaption for the iPad and even without extra costs to the iPhone / iPod Touch version!

Regards,
Sascha
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

How much faster is the ipad compared to iphone or ipod touch?
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Cubeman

The iPad A4 1 GHZ gain in speed at iPhone 3G - ARM 620 Mhz

Benchmark compares of the iPad against the iPhone 3GS:
http://furbo.org/2010/04/03/benchmarking-in-your-lap/

Regards...
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

Cubeman wrote:How much faster is the ipad compared to iphone or ipod touch?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3640/appl ... -review/16

"It’s called the A4 because it is the 4th generation SoC designed by Apple. That would make the silicon in the iPhone 3GS the A3, the A2 would be what’s in the iPhone and perhaps A1 was an older iPod chip? Either way, the A4 was the first we heard of Apple’s naming system"

The A4 is a typical smartphone SoC. It’s got CPU, GPU and DRAM all on a single package. It also appears to be the same size as your typical smartphone SoC, meaning there’s a good chance we’ll see this thing in the next iPhone. The A4 has 256MB of on-package DRAM, just like the current iPhone 3GS SoC. Remember that memory is used for the OS, all applications as well as video memory. It’s a testament to just how lightweight the iPhone OS is."
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

I have an iPhone 3G and an iPad. It seems that the iPad is around three times faster (playing Chess) as the 3G!

You cannot compare the speed just comparing the MHz. A Pentium 4 with 1.000 is way faster than a Pentium III with 1.000 ... :wink:

The iPad is amazing fast! No delays while surfing in the Internet and doing normal tasks. But there also a lot of new games like Galcon Fusion (www.galcon.com) or even "Need for Speed Shit" ...

I am sure: Within one year this will be the best hand held gaming device on the market!

Greetings,
Sascha
IA

Post by IA »

Thanks Mythbuster for the info, now just leave Shredder12 version for the iPad.

Regards...
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Mythbuster wrote:I have an iPhone 3G and an iPad. It seems that the iPad is around three times faster (playing Chess) as the 3G!

You cannot compare the speed just comparing the MHz. A Pentium 4 with 1.000 is way faster than a Pentium III with 1.000 ... :wink:

Greetings,
Sascha
For playing chess a 1 Ghz Pentium 3 is faster than a 1 Ghz Pentium 4 - I benchmarked them both.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Carl Bicknell wrote:
Mythbuster wrote:I have an iPhone 3G and an iPad. It seems that the iPad is around three times faster (playing Chess) as the 3G!

Greetings,
Sascha
For playing chess a 1 Ghz Pentium 3 is faster than a 1 Ghz Pentium 4 - I benchmarked them both.
Indeed, the Pentium 4 is one of Intel's darker moments. They "increased" clock speed using low level tricks which turned out not to be good.

A description of the new ipad CPU is at http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... esign.html

Does not seem to be an architecture improvement in terms of CPU clock speed, wonder why it seems 3 times faster than the iphone.
IA

Post by IA »

Applications Processor Performance:

the A4 in the iPad has a 37.6% performance advantage over the Qualcomm QSD8250 1GHZ:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3633/appl ... snapdragon

Regards...
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

You can look a the result 2 ways.Either the ipad is a really fast 2 Handheld device, or a medium performance notebook.I tend to bunch it with the notebook since you can't put it in your pocket, and you would look silly trying to use it when walking around.It would be good in a home enviroment but thats about it.
shiv

Post by shiv »

IA wrote:Applications Processor Performance:

the A4 in the iPad has a 37.6% performance advantage over the Qualcomm QSD8250 1GHZ:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3633/appl ... snapdragon

Regards...
Thanks for pointing out this link. However, being a person who used to follow computer architecture, the lack of information in the url worries me.

Seems like the speed gain might just be because RAM is closer to CPU and using a custom GPU. Normally, one expects the see a full CPU architectural description e.g. stages in pipeline, bursts, caching etc. I think Apple only improved the RAM placement and used a custom GPU. This is not easy to do, but not really a CPU optimization. The lack of information from Apple on the A4 CPU is surprising.