We Need a Hiarcs Chess Play Service for Cell Phones!

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

dridge

We Need a Hiarcs Chess Play Service for Cell Phones!

Post by dridge »

Hi Mark,

I believe strongly that you need to go in a new direction. The future is a chess play server for GPSR/Java cell (mobile) phones.

Mobile Fritz is a brilliant idea but the software is so bad that I can’t believe that it’s out there. There is plenty of room in the market for this. There is virtually no competition at this time.

The number of chess players that own a cell phone dwarfs the number of chess players that have a PDA.

I would gladly pay for the service and the software. When given the opportunity, I would always rather play a person instead of a computer.

Believe me…this is the next big thing in mobile chess!
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

If ChessBase can't get MobileFritz to work well then there is little hope that Hiarcs can.The thing with playing chess against people on a server is that you need alot of people to make it work.Chessbase use there own server Playchess which has 1000's of users and 100's on at any single time so getting a game with the right time control and rating opponent is just a matter of seconds.Where as on those other servers with few users the wait can be quite long and I don't want to wait around to find out.
ljj8503

Post by ljj8503 »

To play chess remotely from a cellphone/pda to a chess server would be greatly welcomed. There was a program for palm a few years back called chesseverywhere, a palm app which would allow you to play wirelessly on popular chess servers like ICC, but do to lack of popularity it was put to rest. I hope something to his affect will be implemented in the next release (?)!!
mclane

Post by mclane »

i highly doubt that CHESS on a mobile makes much sense.
the micro-waves are breaking concentration while playing against it.

nevertheless chess genius for the symbian OS mobiles is great. you cannot really relate it with shredder, that is a java program and IMO very useless.
at least it was to me, i tried it out one day and thought that it is TOO SLOW and too unconfortable although my nokia 3650 has ~ 100 mhz.

Genius runs perfectly well on my nokia.
nevertheless the problem with the micro-waves emitted by the mobile still remains.
i prefer playing with the PALM because no pulsed waves make the brain heating up.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....