I am an unguided Missile ?!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I am an unguided Missile ?!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Eric van Reem the outgoing editor of the prestigious Dutch Computer Chess magazine in his last edition decided to misuse his position and abuse the CSVN board and me in his editorial.

While I quite like being called an unguided missile and a nitwit. The board of the CSVN posted a reply which is below. Good Luck to Hans van der Zijden the new editor whose 1st interview in his new role will be with Mark Uniacke on the 22nd September. As Hans is travelling through London on the way to Japan and the WCCC - more on this later.

http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... 28&lang=en
At this moment you have received the August volume of Computerschaak in which Eric van Reem retires as the editor. In his last editorial he, among other things, critizes the board. Unlike from redactions in common and, in our association for more than 30 years always done, he has no adversarial applied. The board was not able to give a reply to this.

Without going into his extensive article further, we see that he contradicts and describes facts completely wrong. The tone of the article is condescending and vindictive.

We want to elaborate only one case spoken of in the editorial, because we received a complaint from the person in question.

It is regarding the press release from Eric that he released on behalf of CSVN, in which he mentioned the results, but nothing about the used hardware. A cluster is superior compared to an ordinary personal computer, not mentioning it is an omission. The complainant was of course right and like the CSVN, Chessbase also immediatly corrected the press release. That does not detract from the promotion for the CSVN, and the words "unguided missile" and "nitwit" are certainly not applicable.

We regret this course of events. By appointing a new editor, we hope our magazine will be published on a more regular basis. And furthermore we take care that you will be spared from acts of personal frustration that have little to do with editing articles.
Hans van der Zijden
Editor Computerschaak

Bad translation

Post by Hans van der Zijden »

Sorry for the poor english. The dutch article by our chairman was translated and sent to all boardmembers and the editor, prior to putting it on the website. Both Hans Secelle and I made changes and suggestions. Hans even made a much better translation. Sadly only a few suggestions were used. In case you were wondering, "redactions" should be editorials. The rest should be clear enough.

Hans van der Zijden (Editor Computerschaak)
Never do something today, that someone else can do tomorrow. (Confusedius)
Graham Banks

Re: I am an unguided Missile ?!

Post by Graham Banks »

Harvey Williamson wrote:.............While I quite like being called an unguided missile.........
You have to give him marks for creativity! :lol:
gerold

Re: I am an unguided Missile ?!

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:.............While I quite like being called an unguided missile.........
You have to give him marks for creativity! :lol:
Sounds like the fellow was creative in describing himself. :D