WCCC in Japan - Hans's Diary

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

WCCC in Japan - Hans's Diary

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The World Computer Chess Championship starts this weekend in Japan.

Once again Hans van der Zijden will provide us with his entertaining daily diary. I met him and Johan de Koning in London today at the start of their long flight to japan. We visited Mark Uniacke. Hans is the new editor of the CSVN Dutch Computer Chess magazine. His first interview was recorded today with Mark. Although they spent mpre time playing with Rubic Cubes then talking about Chess.

Hopefully Hans will provide us with some interesting updates over the next week or so.

Johan went outside and did some training on the trampoline.

We then went for Lunch in a Cafe. Hans thought his fried egg was Mayonnaise as he could only see the white bit. Fortunately in England we do not do the Dutch thing of putting Mayo on everything!
Hans van der Zijden
Editor Computerschaak

Kanazawa Diary

Post by Hans van der Zijden »

22-9 + 23-9
I already booked a flight from London to Japan, because I would travel together with Hiarcs operator Harvey Williamson. Sadly Hiarcs withdrew from the tournament, but Harvey offered to pick me up from London Stansted and bring me to Heathrow airport. I told him I would book an early flight to London, so I could offer him a lunch for his trouble. After I booked I told him the good news was that we could have lunch. The bad news was that we could have breakfast as well. I couldn't get a later flight and we had a lot of hours to kill. I then asked Harvey if he could arrange a meeting with Hiarcs programmer Mark Uniacke. I recently became the editor of "Computerschaak" and I thought it would be a good idea to interview him. That was no problem and Harvey drove me and Johan de Koning (the King), who also travelled with me, to a nice village close to London. During the ride I discovered the benefit of driving on the left side. It is great for turning left. Arriving at the house we were welcomed by Mark and one of his dogs. A strange creature though. I kicked his ball away and he brought it back to Johan. Mark also knows how to solve a cube, though not as fast. Which came to no surprise seeing the solvingsystem he used and the poor shape his cube was in. Still it made me wonder how much better my chessprogram would be if I had invested all the cubetime in my program.

After the interview Harvey drove us to the airport and the real journey began. After a long wait for boarding, we finally entered the plane and passed Premium Class and Business Class, before we could jam our behinds in the "no legroom"-chairs of the Sardines Class. Less than 12 hours later we arrived in Tokyo and here we had to wait 3.5 boring hours. Only form of entertainment was one shop and a television broadcasting sumo- wrestling. A lot of sweaty fat guys in an oversized diaper. I see enough of that when I look in the mirror. Except for the diaper of course. Another 75 minutes inland flight and a 40 minutes taxiride later, we finally arrived at the hotel. I wanted to internet right away to tell the homefront I arrived, but after a struggle of one hour with the helpdesk and the IT-bellboy (let's call him Manuel, because he was as useful as having an umbrella in the desert), we gave up. I will try again tomorrow at the venue with someone who does speak english.
Never do something today, that someone else can do tomorrow. (Confusedius)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I sent Hans an sms from a bar in Tel Aviv last night where they were celebrating the 250th birthday of Mr. Guinness. 5 minutes later he phoned me as he is able to receive sms's but not send them. It was also 0630 in the morning in Japan so I woke him up :-) He also could not get his internet to work. I think I was having more fun in the Pub in Tel Aviv. Sorry this picture is a bit dark. In fact it is very dark when i look at it now. This was supposed to show the waitress delivering my Pizza.

Hans van der Zijden
Editor Computerschaak

Kanazawa Diary

Post by Hans van der Zijden »

24-9
I slept a few hours after the internet struggle and tried some more things when I woke up. At 4:00 o'clock I tried again to sleep, but I couldn't. So I did some puzzles till I got tired. 80 minutes later I finally fell asleep and within 1 minute woke up again. Harvey sent me an sms. I sent one back hoping he could help me with my connection problems. For some bizar reason he received my respons many hours later. I didn't wait that long. I called him after a 5 minute wait. Being wide awake again after the call, I decided to have breakfast early, in the hope I would find someone who could help me afterwards. It was very quiet in the breakfastroom. They seated me next to a group of deaf people. One more person tried to help me with my internet after breakfast, but he didn't succeed. So I decided the venue was the place to be. Wireless was still working, so I started to e-mail people and download the backupbook. Also there was the official opening. Two elderly women in traditional clothes gave a musical performance with flute, drum and vocals. It was absolutely awful, but somehow they were famous in Japan. The snacks however, from a restaurant from famous chef Bocuse, were very good. Back to my internetproblems. Eventually the cause, a missing ethernetdriver, was found. I was able to download one, and it worked. Then I had a long wait for the playermeeting and afterwards Johan and I found a nice japanese restaurant, with many pictures of food on the menu, describing also in english what it was. Getting the right drink was more difficult. I wanted sparkling water. Although she new the word water, the sparkling bit made her think I wanted white wine with bubbles. Then she came back with a bottle of plain water. I said water ok and mimed bubbles. Back again after 1 minute she asked me if I meant Coca Cola. I thought I better settle for the plain water and made it clear again I really wanted water. To my surprise she brought back exactly what I wanted, sparkling water. When I wanted some mayonaise on my fries, I remembered I had a dictionary on my iPhone. I typed in mayonaise, hit translate and 5 japanese characters showed up. I let her read it and mayonaise I got. Hooray for modern technologie. I bought a tin with a lemon on it and 9% alc. I thought it would make me sleep well. The lemon turned out to be a grapefruit, which I don't like. So after a few hours of sleep I was up again. Nasty jetlag. Hope I don't fall asleep during round 1.

Never do something today, that someone else can do tomorrow. (Confusedius)
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi
Here is a good link to all the board games taking place in Japan not just the WCCC.
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/ICGA-events-2010 ... rogram.pdf
Bryan
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

No broadcast and no games on the ICGA website so far. You would think when people spend 1000's to attend this would be done much better.

A few bits of information I have gathered. Rybka won in R1. Junior lost to Thinker. Thinker now plays Rybka in Round 2. Jonny on 600 cores. Zappa is only running on 24 cores.
IA

Post by IA »

Results Round 1:

Darmenios - Rybka (0-1)
Thinker - Deep Junior (1-0)
Hector For Chess - Shredder (0-1)
Fridolin - Rondo (0-1)
Pandix - Jonny (0-1)

---------------------------
---------------------------

Round 2

Fridolin - Deep Junior
Rybka - Thinker
Hector - Darmenios
Pandix - Shredder
Jonny - Rondo

Regards...
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Harvey
Follow the links from here.
Rybka & Rondo lead 2pts each
They meet each other in Round 5 but it might be decided in the last round when the pairings are; Rybka - Shredder & Deep Junior - Rondo
http://www.icga.org/
Bryan
IA

Post by IA »

Web Results WCCC 2010:
http://ticc.uvt.nl/icga/cg2010results/WCCC.html

Round 2
1 Rybka - Thinker 1 - 0
2 Hector for Chess - Darmenios 0 - 1
3 Fridolin - Deep Junior 0 - 1
4 PandixBreakthrough - Shredder ½ - ½
5 Jonny - Rondo 0 - 1

Regards...
suj

Post by suj »

Zappa runs on 32 cores remotely.Remoting comp is 24 cores.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

suj wrote:Zappa runs on 32 cores remotely.Remoting comp is 24 cores.
The Turkish nut told me only 24 :)
suj

Post by suj »

I set up the remote client and he does the gui/book bit:P
suj

Post by suj »

by the way erdo has a new nick-"sex monster".Please contact erdo for more information:P
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Hans decided to post today's update in a new thread, he has been drinking :-)

So for those of you following this thread here it is:

25-9
The breakfast in the hotel is really good. So good that there was a waitingline to get in this morning. I invited one of the other dutch participants to sit with me, so I wouldn't have a table for 2 just for myself. Tournament director Jaap van den Herik pulled up a chair and joined another table for 2 where two people were already sitting. The staff first wanted to take him to an empty table, but when Jaap insisted, they brought the empty table to him. Since there was a shortage of drinks in the venue, I did some shoppings. A red bull, a coke, plain water and a can of pineapplejuice. Failed to see the "4% alc" sign. Luckily I had the redbull antidote, but I had a hard time staying awake during the second round. Round 1 paired Rybka to Darmenios, the top Polish program. The bad news is that the point stayed in Poland. The good news is that Rybka programmer Vasik Rajlich also lives in Poland. Darmenios programmer Dariusz Czechowski just knows the rules, but with only a simple evaluationfunction, he created a very fast searcher on just one
core. But not fast enough to Have Rybka worried. I had lots of free time before round 2, which I spent on translating my diary to dutch for the computermagazine. I thought game 2 would be easy as well, but Thinker (by Kerwin Medina) crushed Junior in the first round and proved to be a hard 4-core nut to crack. But crack it did. Thinker had some crashes in the first round, so I told Amir Ban (Junior) that he should have supported Jonny (you crash, you lose) during the playersmeeting. For a while I thought Rybka would lead the field alone, but Rondo (Zappa) managed to win a drawish looking endgame against Jonny on 800-cores! Most of his cores seemed to be busy finding the small chessboard on the huge monitor. At 18:00 the first round of the softwaretournament started. But since Rybka regretfully isn't participating, I decided to go back to the hotel, take a 2 hour nap, eat the sweet breads and croissant that I took from the breakfastroom instead of having dinner and work some more on the computer.

Image Image
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The shock of round 3 Rybka draws with Pandi. Thid=s from Hans on Skype:
Rybka was ahead about 50 minutes and .40 in score. Then all of a sudden the score dropped to 0.00 and never changed till the end. Pandix went from -.5 to +1.8, so I hoped he would avoid repetition and sac pawns. But it remained a draw.
Hans says he may be about to get a 2nd draw today v Jonny. Zappa won his 1st game so could be in the lead at the end of day 2.