how much cost to create powerful chess machine ?

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

f5mtadas

how much cost to create powerful chess machine ?

Post by f5mtadas »

Hello

I am IT engineer and I am very interesting and I think I will invest big money on Chess machine developing.

How to begin to create it and how much cost to create the machine ?
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

:lol: You will need "big money" to purchase or build a top of the line chess machine.

I keep a spreadsheet of various systems I am pondering to build...

Here's a clip from a current 6-Core and 12-Core Machine. Most prices and Item#s are from www.newegg.com. With the 6-Core System you could easily save money. For example... don't play PC Games? Then go with a sub- $200 video card. Me... I have only one "game" MS Flight Sim and more Video "horsepower" is never enough. The SSDs could be replaced with Mechanical Drives... cheaper case... cheaper memory... the 6-core motherboard listed costs about $400 than what is reasonable... Just the above is how I would do it for a number of reasons.

There’s a few item's not included if this was the Do-It-Yourself Build... stuff like Thermal Paste, anti-static wrist strap & latex gloves (i use them both for a build). The Windows OS is relatively cheap since it's an OEM version... legitimate use if you build the system yourself. And I just noticed I am missing a CD/DVD drive... add about $30 for a good SATA model.

Hope this helps.

Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi f5mtadas,
Are you talking about just a strong pc chess machine or a dedicated strong chess machine like the phoenix chess systems?

wich one regards
Ricardo
JamesCoons

I was thinking the opposite

Post by JamesCoons »

Build a cheap chess machine based on the Raspberry PI. The Raspberry PI is a 35 dollar Linux machine.
felice

felice

Post by felice »

Can't tell the exact cost because it depends.
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

All those expensive prices above depend upon one's "computer connections"or not.My nephew is in the computer repair and pro builder business of his own,travels around the country and told me that he will build me a 10 core system of my dreams to run my chess programs and more,complete with intercoolers and all the bells and whistles for no more than $2000 dollars.Perhaps he has a ton of computer systems and uses parts from many sources,but that does not bother me in the least.

If i was to ask him to build me a 12 core system,i'm certain he could do it for no more than 3,000-3500...not 7000+as I see above.

Retail prices do not exist in my book.Just like my quadcore with 8 GB memory and a terabyte drive.My nephew built it for 350.00.Never once,had a problem and my antivirus is the free version of AVG for 6 years now.Nortons?Don't make me laugh.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

vaporizer wrote:All those expensive prices above depend upon one's "computer connections"or not.
It also depends on the year. That above post you reference is nearly five (5) years old...

No idea what prices would be today.
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

watchman...your not talking about my post are you?My post is not 5 years old,its now,in the present and I just posted it a day or two ago.So my nephews price is now,not even a week old.If you speaking of someone else,I understand.Look again at the posted date,I just posted it and spoke in present terms.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

vaporizer wrote:watchman...your not talking about my post are you?My post is not 5 years old,
Yes vaporizer, I am talking about your post, because you made the statement:

vaporizer wrote:If i was to ask him to build me a 12 core system,i'm certain he could do it for no more than 3,000-3500...not 7000+as I see above.
The "not 7000+as I see above" comes from a 5 year old post.
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

watchman...you make no sense at all and there is no logic in your statement.What I wrote above was related to YOUR statement about the 7,000+ cost of your multcore system.If you made your statement above with 5 year old $$ value,that is also irrelevant,since the cost is still less for me than any quoted price now,or 5 years ago.If it was 5 years ago,my nephew's price would have been even cheaper.But for 3,000 or less,I can build the best or better than you mentioned above.Your prices,then 5 years ago or now,are pretty much based upon regular retail prices and/or labor.My nephew will build the best for me for no labor and parts from the thousands of systems he rebuilds every year from coast to coast.

My statement above shows simply that I can do the super multicore system with all the bells and whistles for less than half of YOUR quoted estimated price...whether it be 5 years ago or right now,in the present.
NoellEagan

Post by NoellEagan »

Hi...as per my knowledge with the 6-Core System you could easily save money. For example... don't play PC Games? Then go with a sub- $200 video card. Me.I have only one "game" MS Flight Sim and more Video "horsepower" is never enough. The SSDs could be replaced with Mechanical Drives,cheaper case,cheaper memory. The 6-core motherboard listed costs about $400 than what is reasonable. Just the above is how I would do it for a number of reasons.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

why on earth would you want to make a chess computer. And then one that must be strong. Where's the fun in that.

At the very least if you wanted you should make a chess computer that is fun to play with, one that has nice quirks and plays intuitively.

And before that, try to make a program that actually follows the basic rules of chess, just let it make a legal move at random if you like. Oh plus en passant, castling, and minor promotion. And the chess rules that after 50 moves where nothing promoted or got slain is a draw + repeat 3 times is a draw.
That should keep you busy for at least 6 months. Good luck.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.