HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone

QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Uploading A PGN File

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
theGamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Uploading A PGN File Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am a programmer and have been hired to write code that would allow the user to upload a PGN file onto the Application which is web based.

The problem is that I am unable to get the MIME type of the file correct. I use octet as PHP understands this.

It works fine on my PC and the other PCs on the work, but my Boss's system shows errors. Also we are unable to upload using Google Chrome. Any Suggestions or leads towards the solution would be appreciated.

Thanks.
HDdarthduck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined these forums today trying to figure out if they had a solution yet to upload pgn databases. I'm glad they hired you! I downloaded about 25 chess apps for the 4S and this was my favorite because it allows for an automatic replay of database games. Chess-wise also does this but their replay speed is too fast and non-adjustable.

1) Anyway, please make it so you can download large batches of PGNs and not just one-by-one. Here is a site with examples of these: http://www.top-5000.nl/pgn.htm

2) Also, being able to reorganize the PGNs would be amazing. I'm not sure how that Million Base 1.74 database is organized and I hope it's not just a long list. Having some sort of way of sorting PGNs with internal folders would be ideal.

Since you say how to upload "a file", my dream of flooding my iphone with millions of PGNs probably will never happen. But mass uploads would be much more useful, so please take that into consideration.
h.g.muller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that a PGN file can contain an arbitrary number of games. From the ICCF website I downloaded a zipped PGN file of all correspondence games played in 2010, and it contained over 41,000 games. (I use it for testing WinBoard's game-database functions.)

The mime type of PGN files if application/x-chess-pgn .

When XBoard is installed it defines this mime type, and associates it with XBoard in game-viewer mode. So that when you click a PGN file, it will automatically fire up XBoard on it.
pearlofbag

Full Name: pearlofbag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Uploading A PGN File Reply with quote

Sorry Tony,I havent used Front Page,I just upload via my FTP program.
Doesnt it have any information in the Front Page help file to tell you ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: