Hiarcs for android?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

pwwaring

Post by pwwaring »

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but was just curious what the current thinking is on the possibility of an Android version. I switched from iOS to Android last year, and frankly not having HIARCS is about my only regret...
zamana

Post by zamana »

It's been over 2 years since this thread was created, but Mr. Mark always find an excuse to delay the Android port.

I guess that we'll never see Hiarcs for Android. Unfortunately.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Basically HIARCS Chess Explorer took much longer than expected to produce. It has effectively pushed everything else back by about a year. Unfortunately time is limited and there are many drains on my time.

I still intend an Android version later this year.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
IA

Post by IA »

Mark Uniacke wrote:I still intend an Android version later this year.

Ufffffff..... :shock:
pwwaring

Post by pwwaring »

Fantastic, thanks Mark - hope you manage to fit it in, and thanks for all the hard work!
zamana

Post by zamana »

Mark Uniacke wrote:(...)
Ok. I just make an appointment in my calendar. December this year I'll be back here :-)

Thank you for your great work.
Regards.
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Basically HIARCS Chess Explorer took much longer than expected to produce. It has effectively pushed everything else back by about a year. Unfortunately time is limited and there are many drains on my time.

Hi Mark
Can we still expect Hiarcs for Android in 2013??
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

ChessBase have improved their app for Android and will be able to add new engines soon, they already got StockFish and Critter performing on multicore phones. I guess it would be more profitable and easier for a developer to just port their engine to this app, rather than go thru the laborious and bug fixing their own package.
Professional engine authors will be able to sell their engine this way.
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 760d09f265
zamana

Post by zamana »

Remembering that if your engine is in C, you don't need fully port it to Java. You can just use the NDK (Native Development Kit), that is the same as the "JNI" (Java Native Interface), to make it run on Android.
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Cubeman wrote:ChessBase have improved their app for Android and will be able to add new engines soon, they already got StockFish and Critter performing on multicore phones. I guess it would be more profitable and easier for a developer to just port their engine to this app, rather than go thru the laborious and bug fixing their own package.
The Chessbase Stockfish and Critter Android apps According to what I have read online are not full fledged playing programs , but only analysis
modules. We still do need a standalone Hiarcs Chess Engine for Android.
zamana

Post by zamana »

RadioSmall wrote:
Cubeman wrote:ChessBase have improved their app for Android and will be able to add new engines soon, they already got StockFish and Critter performing on multicore phones. I guess it would be more profitable and easier for a developer to just port their engine to this app, rather than go thru the laborious and bug fixing their own package.
The Chessbase Stockfish and Critter Android apps According to what I have read online are not full fledged playing programs , but only analysis
modules. We still do need a standalone Hiarcs Chess Engine for Android.
Of course we prefer a full featured Hiarcs for Android app (GUI & Engine), but if only the engine will be ported, it could be used with Chess For Android (http://bit.ly/13G0dw9), an app from the great Aart Bik!

Chess For Android is a kind of generic chess UI with support for UCI engines.
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Basically HIARCS Chess Explorer took much longer than expected to produce. It has effectively pushed everything else back by about a year. Unfortunately time is limited and there are many drains on my time.

Any more news on this??
RexG8571

Post by RexG8571 »

I am so excited for an android version for Hiarcs! Hope it will be realized soon... :)
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

RexG8571 wrote:I am so excited for an android version for Hiarcs! Hope it will be realized soon... :)
I would not hold my breath ....You are looking at least another year from now ............
nahab

Post by nahab »

Android Hiarcs to christmas?