HIARCS 15 at reduced strength, hmm

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

KLc

HIARCS 15 at reduced strength, hmm

Post by KLc »

I'm a bit confused by at least the opening play of HIARCS 15 at reduced strength. I've set it to 1000 and played a 5'+3'' Blitz game. It played a nice advance variation in the French: 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3. Okay, then it played cxd4!? but still: is this played at a 1000 rating? I noticed this in all games: the opening is quite strong for such a low rating. Hmm.

In the "Play game" dialogue I've set "Book" to the default "Internat Book". Is this wrong? Should I set it to "No book"? I thought there's a rating depended use of the opening book!?

I cannot remember HIARCS 14 being that precise in the opening at reduced strength. You didn't do the same as Shredder 13, which is much stronger than Shredder 12 at reduced strength, did you?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: HIARCS 15 at reduced strength, hmm

Post by mrudolf »

KLc wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:44 pm I'm a bit confused by at least the opening play of HIARCS 15 at reduced strength. I've set it to 1000 and played a 5'+3'' Blitz game. It played a nice advance variation in the French: 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3. Okay, then it played cxd4!? but still: is this played at a 1000 rating? I noticed this in all games: the opening is quite strong for such a low rating. Hmm.

In the "Play game" dialogue I've set "Book" to the default "Internat Book". Is this wrong? Should I set it to "No book"? I thought there's a rating depended use of the opening book!?

I cannot remember HIARCS 14 being that precise in the opening at reduced strength. You didn't do the same as Shredder 13, which is much stronger than Shredder 12 at reduced strength, did you?
I wouldn't be surprised by 1000 player playing this. In the ancient times, where I was unrated, I played 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 with Black in one of my first games (the result of looking at one page of a chess book). OK, I followed it by 4...f5? but still...

Anyway, Mark will have to explain how internal book works. Other books simulate engine "not knowing" the variation based on probability (which depends on the rating and the number of games). So it can vary a lot.
KLc

Post by KLc »

Hmm, okay, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one line you played well but I played several games and the first couple of moves were always quite well. And tactically HIARCS 15 also felt stronger than HIARCS 14 at such a low rating. Is this just my impression?
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

I play against H15 set at 1500. IMO it's opening play reflects what I see players in the 1200-1600 range play at my local club. Sometimes their openings are surprisingly good, sometimes not that good.
KLc

Post by KLc »

Okay, I just had the impression it's stronger somehow than HIARCS 14.
DaMaBu

Post by DaMaBu »

I played a dozen or so games between Chess Genius on a recent Android device and Deep Hiarcs 15.1 on "match player's strength". It gives Genius a rating of just under 2400. I suspect that's about right, or maybe a bit low. The same result with The King Performance.