Banned by the CSVN

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Banned by the CSVN

Post by Harvey Williamson »

24 hours ago I received an email which I must admit totally shocked me. It ended with the words:
In the present situation the CSVN-board has no other option than to ask you not to attend CSVN-events in the future.
At the moment I am not going to name names but I am going to explain why I received this email.

A member of the CSVN board told me last week in Leiden that he had entered an, official, online tournament with a cracked copy of the latest Junior that was sent to him by a friend in Brazil. I was astounded by this. Surely members of the board of a Computer Chess Association should lead by example and not use cracked software? I told the board member that I was appalled by his actions. 1) As someone who is totally against the use of cracked commercial software. 2) As Junior is sold by www.Hiarcs.com 3) As a www.Playchess.com Sys op because the online tournament is being played there. Normally this would lead to sanctions being taken on Playchess. I decided just to say that the cracked version must not be used again on Playchess.

After making my feelings known the person concerned then contacted Mark to ask for a free Junior 12 licence. Mark replied that on this occasion he was not prepared to supply one. If the person had asked before using the cracked version we would of course have supplied a licence.

Some emails were then exchanged between Mark, Amir and the person concerned. I was also cc'd. After a couple of days the person concerned was sent a free Junior licence, although we had not received a clear apology. I really thought that would be the end of the matter. I have had no conversation with the person concerned since this email exchange began.

Then to my surprise I receive an email banning me from CSVN events. An email that raises a couple of questions.

1) What has this got to do with the CSVN board at all? It certainly has nothing to do with the Leiden tournament. An individual who happens to be a board member used cracked software emailed to him by a friend in Brazil.

2) Were the board made fully aware of the facts before allowing this decision to be taken in their name? It now appears as if the entire board supports the use of cracked commercial Chess software. I am sure this is not true

I replied to the CSVN board saying that I would give them 24 hours to respond to me or I will go public. I have heard nothing and 24 hours has now passed. I do not want to publish the emails in full but I will do if a speedy resolution to this situation is not found by the CSVN. This really does seem like 1 member of the board totally abusing his position by somehow convincing the other members that this is a matter for them to get involved with. I am sure the facts were not presented correctly to the board.

The conversation took place over Dinner on Thursday evening before the Dutch Open tournament, in Leiden, began. In my opinion this has nothing to do with the board. It was a shame the persons wife was there and that she felt insulted by the conversation I had with her husband, for that I apologise.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carl Bicknell

Re: Banned by the CSVN

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Harvey Williamson wrote:24 hours ago I received an email which I must admit totally shocked me.

Some emails were then exchanged between Mark, Amir and the person concerned. I was also cc'd. After a couple of days the person concerned was sent a free Junior licence, although we had not received a clear apology.
This bit doesn't make sense. Why was the person given a free licence? Is there a threat the Junior code will go public a la Fruit & Rybka 1? Was he given a free license to coax him not to do this?
Would destroy a good engine if the code is published.
mackgra

Post by mackgra »

I find this situation completely absurd to put it mildly. Admitting to the use of a cracked piece of software to a person connected with the sale and distribution of that software shows down right cheek IMHO.

As for the banning of you from future CSVN events, on what grounds and what basis for this is given? I for sure can't think of any plausable reason.
Also i'm guessing this so called 'ban' has come from the same CSVN board member that admitted to using the cracked copy themselves and im sure the rest of the board are not aware of the full facts.

Giving a full junior license when none was paid for originally shows a more than generous gesture on your part, i dont have the full facts but im not sure i would have done the same.

If the ban from future CSVN events isn't lifted, im sure you wouldn't want to be connected with an event whose board condones the use of 'cracked' software. Im sure all the Hiarcs forum member will give you their full support
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Banned by the CSVN

Carl Bicknell wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:24 hours ago I received an email which I must admit totally shocked me.

Some emails were then exchanged between Mark, Amir and the person concerned. I was also cc'd. After a couple of days the person concerned was sent a free Junior licence, although we had not received a clear apology.
This bit doesn't make sense. Why was the person given a free licence? Is there a threat the Junior code will go public a la Fruit & Rybka 1? Was he given a free license to coax him not to do this?
Would destroy a good engine if the code is published.
You miss the point. The person concerned has been a pillar of the Chess community for several years. Normally he would receive all versions for free. There is no deeper story here as you are trying to invent.

I am locking this thread for the moment. As a respected person is trying to mediate behind the scenes. I will let people know what happens or reopen this thread if a satisfactory resolution is not found.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Common sense has prevailed :-) The ban is lifted. Thanks for all the support I received and those who worked hard behind the scenes to fix this injustice, partially.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Emails have continued to be sent behind the scenes. The individual concerned still will not admit he has done anything wrong or that my ban was a mistake. I will tomorrow tell the full story and name names as the person concerned is bringing his office into disripute.
Eric Hallsworth
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Eric Hallsworth »

Good. You've been very wrongly treated if CdG thinks he's in any sort of right. I'm looking forward to logging on tomorrow!

Cheers - Eric
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Harvey Williamson wrote:... I will tomorrow tell the full story and name names as the person concerned is bringing his office into disripute.
tick tock... :twisted:
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

CatPower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:... I will tomorrow tell the full story and name names as the person concerned is bringing his office into disripute.
tick tock... :twisted:
lol - It will not appear today. It is taking a long time to write fairly and I am still hoping at this late stage to receive an email saying that the ban was wrong.
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
lol - It will not appear today. It is taking a long time to write fairly and I am still hoping at this late stage to receive an email saying that the ban was wrong.
what's the fuss about, the CSVN has 7 members...

i think i might join again for all the good fun they offer :D
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

CatPower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
what's the fuss about, the CSVN has 7 members...

i think i might join again for all the good fun they offer :D
If you join I will join also and nominate you as the new Chairman!
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Guess you will have to be willing to give up your British passport for that :wink:

But you could live in Leiden, the mecca of computer chess :lol:
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

CatPower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Guess you will have to be willing to give up your British passport for that :wink:

But you could live in Leiden, the mecca of computer chess :lol:
Where does it say you have to be Dutch to be a member? There are board members who are Belgian. We are all members of the EEC now. I think the European Parliament outranks CSVN but only just,
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Harvey Williamson wrote:.... There are board members who are Belgian...
I don't see Belgiums in the board, who is it?

http://www.computerschaak.nl/index.php? ... 35&lang=nl

Europe still has some traditions to hold on to you know. Before you know it the Belgiums will claim our future soccer world championship :P :P
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

CatPower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:.... There are board members who are Belgian...
I don't see Belgiums in the board, who is it?

http://www.computerschaak.nl/index.php? ... 35&lang=nl

Europe still has some traditions to hold on to you know. Before you know it the Belgiums will claim our future soccer world championship :P :P
Hans Secelle is Belgian and a board member so is Rink I think.

edit looks like they can not even keep their own website up to date with who the board members are.