A question regarding multiprocessors and Hiarcs...

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

veNa

A question regarding multiprocessors and Hiarcs...

Post by veNa »

Sup all? :)

Well, I've seen in your offical web-site that the software has only been tested on a machine with 8 CPUs, and that it is not recommended to use a bigger ammount of processors due to the fact that the results will then be unknown..! :(

Just out of curiosity, what will happen if I'll run Hiarcs on a machine with more than 8 CPUs..? Will the hardware/software itself be at some kind of risk..? :(

Another question I've is as follows: Did you meant 8 processors, or did you meant 8 cores..? Because there's quite a difference between the two... :\ By saying processors, you mean 8 processing units (without any relation whatsoever to the number of cores each processing unit holds within it), thus, I might even have (using todays technology) 8x4 (32!) processors calculating, each one reaching over 2.5 billions calcs/sec..! :) On the other hand, though, if you meant 8 cores, then (using, once again, the aforementioned example) I'll be only able to use 2 quad-core CPUs (2x4). So, what will it be? 8 cores, or 8 CPUs..? :) I think this issue brings up the need for a clarification at your web-site, where it sais "Max. 8 CUPs"..! ;)

Yours greatly, Arye. :)

P.S: I've also sent you guys an e-mail containing everything said above. I belive you don't check your e-mail that often, ha..? :( I've sent it, like, a month ago or so, so... It's not fresh or something... :\
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi,

Hiarcs has been tested on and we support it on up to 8 cores. There is no risk of damage if you try to run it on more.

Best Wishes,

Harvey