Collector's Corner..On Hiarcs In A Dedicated Chess Computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Fluppio wrote:Hi Mark,

missed opportunity? Maybe not :)

Do you think it's possible to create a "Hiarcs 2.1 SPARC"-Version nowadays? Don't know how far you had gone in the business with Saitek at that time, but this would be a very interesting project.

Best regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

It would be possible but I am not sure it would be effective these days. I have considered resurrecting all the old Hiarcs versions so they can run under simulated hardware conditions at some point as an interesting project when I have more time.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Eric Hallsworth has informed me that he is considering an article on the Hiarcs 13.3 Revelation Match in the upcoming issue of Selective Search
As is well known Selective Search has been published continuously since 1985

One of the conditions for the article is that i include a photo of myself
i hesitated but finally agreed
for those of you with a subscription i can only advise you ..when flipping through the next issue..

Be Afraid
Be Very Afraid Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Steve B wrote:Eric Hallsworth has informed me that he is considering an article on the Hiarcs 13.3 Revelation Match in the upcoming issue of Selective Search

for those of you with a subscription i can only advise you ..when flipping through the next issue..

Be Afraid
Be Very Afraid Regards
Steve
I suspect the next edition will be the biggest seller ever and then the next one will sell 0 as the shock will be to much ;-)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:Eric Hallsworth has informed me that he is considering an article on the Hiarcs 13.3 Revelation Match in the upcoming issue of Selective Search

Be Afraid
Be Very Afraid Regards
Steve
I suspect the next edition will be the biggest seller ever and then the next one will sell 0 as the shock will be to much ;-)
I Oft times wondered how you must have miraculously recovered from our meeting in NYC last year
i recall vividly as i was driving away and you were heading out to the BBC studios in NY...i glanced in my rear view mirror and could have sworn i saw you

Turning To Stone Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Mark Uniacke wrote:

Do you think it's possible to create a "Hiarcs 2.1 SPARC"-Version nowadays? Don't know how far you had gone in the business with Saitek at that time, but this would be a very interesting project.

Best regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

It would be possible but I am not sure it would be effective these days. I have considered resurrecting all the old Hiarcs versions so they can run under simulated hardware conditions at some point as an interesting project when I have more time.

Hi,

It would be effective among collectors of the old chess computers. I myself have a Sparc/Renaissance and consider it to be one of the most elegant dedicated Chess computers ever; However, I can't help regretting the Spracklen program. It could well be that Hiarcs programversion gets the Renaissance up there together with the 68030 Mephisto's and Tasc R30's.
Would be nice. Off course, there's a cost involved.

Just my opinion on this.

Xavier
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

xchessg wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:

Best regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

It would be possible but I am not sure it would be effective these days.

Xavier

Hello,

When following Ed Schröder's auction, seeing what is on the table for programs such as Gideon for the R30 (never released)....

I hope i'm forgiven for digging up such an old thread.

Greetings

Xavier
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

xchessg wrote:
xchessg wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:

Best regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

It would be possible but I am not sure it would be effective these days.

Xavier

Hello,

When following Ed Schröder's auction, seeing what is on the table for programs such as Gideon for the R30 (never released)....

I hope i'm forgiven for digging up such an old thread.

Greetings

Xavier
Gideon pro was recently released by Ed as an UCI engine. I do not have tasc machines and do not know if they can run UCI engines. Today there are 2 dedicated chess machines that can work with UCI engines. They are the Revelation and the Mysticum.
Mark about old Hiarcs engines that ran on Sparc modules, can they be released as UCI engines?

Old Hiarcs regards
Ricardo
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

time to revive this thread

History was made yet again last week when the First dedicated computers were released for sale to contain Hiarcs in a dedicated chess computer with a piece recognition board..the Phoenix Revelation II
when the Rev I was released it was the very first dedicated computer to contain a Hiarcs engine(13.3)

i have been looking for a decent opponent for Hiarcs 14.1 in the Rev ll but none of the dedicated computers i have can give it a decent match
readers can follow this thread from the start and see that i arranged a match between RevIH Vs.Rybka 2.2n8 running in the Resurrection II(same exact hardware as Rev I)
The match was a total crush for Rev I Hiarcs winning the match 8.5-1.5
That match received excellent coverage in Selective Search Magazine with move by move analysis provided my Eric Hallsworth

i am looking for a good opponent for Hiarcs 14.1 in the Rev II

as the board is full piece recognition i could set up a match switching engines after each move...with the new position automatically recognized by the board.a bit of work..but certainly doable
so i could play a match that way...alternating Engines on every move
say Hiarcs vs Shredder
however this would be like playing a match with both engines having pondering OFF..not so interesting to me
weakening Hiarcs by reducing its processing speed(another new Rev ll feature)and then pitting it against a suitable opponent is also not so interesting..to me anyway

i guess the only real test will be for another Rev II owner to come forward and play a match..perhaps in the Spring 2014

Open Challenge Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Steve,

As it is an open Challenge i have Mysticum with the following engines:

1)Stockfish 2.01
2)Komodo
3)Shredder Classic 4
4)Prodeo 1.8
5)Mephisto Guideon Pro
6)Houdini 1.5a
7)Stockfish 2.2.1

I have other engines but they are not so strong to face Hiarcs 14.1.

I also have Hiarcs 13.2 that Mark send to me for testing and when i run it at the insane speed for a dedicated that is 1.6 GHz in the display Hiarcs shows the incredible elo of 2965.

I can Download the speed of Mysticum to 800 MHz so it can be an even Match. Pick any of those engines and we have a match.

World chess champion dedicated chess machines
Ricardo :D
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:Hi Steve,

As it is an open Challenge i have Mysticum with the following engines:

1)Stockfish 2.01
2)Komodo
3)Shredder Classic 4
4)Prodeo 1.8
5)Mephisto Guideon Pro
6)Houdini 1.5a
7)Stockfish 2.2.1

I have other engines but they are not so strong to face Hiarcs 14.1.

I also have Hiarcs 13.2 that Mark send to me for testing and when i run it at the insane speed for a dedicated that is 1.6 GHz in the display Hiarcs shows the incredible elo of 2965.

I can Download the speed of Mysticum to 800 MHz so it can be an even Match. Pick any of those engines and we have a match.

World chess champion dedicated chess machines
Ricardo :D
OK
Thank You Ricardo
Adjust the proccessor speed to equalize the Rev ll speed and pick whatever engine is the strongest in the Mysticum
can you play today?
i can play the first game today at 11:00 am (my time)
this would be in about 3 hrs
perhaps a few more games in the next two weeks
then the rest of the match would be in April 2014
exact times and dates to be arranged

Match Terms.....
10 game match
Time Control...1 Min.Per Move Avg.
when playing White each computer must play each one of the following as their first moves.
in any order you choose
1.e4
1.d4
1.c4
1.Nf3
1.Nc3

can you play on PlayChess Regards?
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the match also. I will pick houdini 1.5a and slowdown Mysticum to 800 MHz. I can play on playchess as ricard60 only in the players room. I can not go in to the engine room. I can not play today but from wednesday up to next friday from 20:00 NY time i can play and next weekend at any time.

Great match to come regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:Hi Steve,

Thanks for the match also. I will pick houdini 1.5a and slowdown Mysticum to 800 MHz. I can play on playchess as ricard60 only in the players room. I can not go in to the engine room. I can not play today but from wednesday up to next friday from 20:00 NY time i can play and next weekend at any time.

Great match to come regards
Ricardo
playing in the Cafe is perfectly fine..Engine room not necessary
However i am Sorry Ricardo but your times and mine do not coincide
lets keep in contact by PM to try to arrange convenient times and dates starting the first of the New Year

Feliz Navidad Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Great.

Feliz Navidad y Prospero año nuevo
Ricardo
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Steve,

I don't have time until next weekend onwards, but if you have time later, I can also set up Mysticum at 800 MHz and play something like King 3.5 (CM11K engine) or Prodeo against you if you want.

I am not sure what the nps difference is between a via Nehemiah running at 800 Mhz or ARM 800 Mhz.

There are sure to be some differences there.

ps..... If I don't come online again before, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!

regards
Nick