Chessbase changes its GUI:Engine matches no longer possible!

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Albertan

Chessbase changes its GUI:Engine matches no longer possible!

Post by Albertan »

Chessbase has decided to make a dramatic change to its GUI for its programs. Apparently programmers were tired of having the GUI not work when they were using it for chess engine matches, (or they were tired of getting complaints from owners of the programs they sell regarding the GUI crashing or not working) and so the company has decided to eliminate the ability of an owner of the program to use the program to play Chess engine matches! <:( This situation happens when you update your Chessbase Engine program through the program's access to the Chessbase Games server.

Therefore anyone who is going to play an engine match with Chessbase engines has to use another GUI (such as Arena) to play these matches, or you should not update your Chessbase Chess program if you want to preserve the ability of the Engine to play engine matches. You can download the latest version of Arena (Arena 3.0) by clicking on the following link:

http://www.playwitharena.com/?Download

Sincerely,
Wayne
bnc1

Post by bnc1 »

Chessbase GUI 12 update 23 (Aug 12,2011) has moved the alternate colors option and the number of games option from the main engine vs. engine setup dialog to the database section for engine matches.

Perhaps this change has led you to the false conclusion that engine vs engine matches no longer work ?? I was also "confused" after first applying this update. If Chessbase would supply a simple changelog for GUI updates then some of this confusion could be avoided. :idea:
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

I am also not sure hiw you would play an engine match with your chessbase engines in arena.
Albertan

Thank you

Post by Albertan »

bnc1 wrote:Chessbase GUI 12 update 23 (Aug 12,2011) has moved the alternate colors option and the number of games option from the main engine vs. engine setup dialog to the database section for engine matches.

Perhaps this change has led you to the false conclusion that engine vs engine matches no longer work ?? I was also "confused" after first applying this update. If Chessbase would supply a simple changelog for GUI updates then some of this confusion could be avoided. :idea:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your response to my post. However, (and this has nothing to do with you), Now I am confused. Could you please tell me where to find this in the "database section" as I cannot find it in my program.

Sincerely,
Wayne
P.S They have eliminated this ability to play engine matches in their Chess programs like Deep Fritz 12,as I cannot find it there after updating my programs.
bnc1

Re: Thank you

Post by bnc1 »

Thank you for your response to my post. However, (and this has nothing to do with you), Now I am confused. Could you please tell me where to find this in the "database section" as I cannot find it in my program.

Sincerely,
Wayne
P.S They have eliminated this ability to play engine matches in their Chess programs like Deep Fritz 12,as I cannot find it there after updating my programs
When I click on the "Engine Match" option (which is part of the Engine tab), there is a new window created. On the left side there are 4 options listed under the Engine vs Engine header. The 4 options are "White", "Black", "Time" and "Database".
Albertan

Thank you!

Post by Albertan »

Hi bnc1,
Thank you for your reply to my inquiry.
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

You certainly can still do engine v engine matches. What you CAN'T now do is computer v computer matches via direct cable... :)
I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will...