Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
I am not complaining :) Lets hope it works!

Regards
Nick

Ahhh
well done
:P

Wooden Regards
Steve
Well sometimes you strike lucky! :) I picked up this buy now USCF in pristine conditions (box, everything) as a buy now a few months ago while I guess everyone else was asleep!

You take the good with the bad regards.

Nick
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
I am not complaining :) Lets hope it works!

Regards
Nick

Ahhh
well done
:P

Wooden Regards
Steve
Well sometimes you strike lucky! :) I picked up this buy now USCF in pristine conditions (box, everything) as a buy now a few months ago while I guess everyone else was asleep!

You take the good with the bad regards.

Nick
The Super 9 showed up today. I can report that it functions perfectly. The pieces as Steve already observed are not original, but I can remedy that easily enough.

Did you all snooze again the other day?

Fidelity Mobile Master regards!
Nick
Larry

Post by Larry »

In my case it's not a case of snoozing, it's just that some USA eBay
auction items simply don't show up on non USA eBay. The S9 deluxe
did, but being heavy and minus the box put me off. Congrats to
you and glad it works.
Some USA sellers emphatically refuse to ship outside USA some even
refusing to send to Alaska and Hawaii. I can get around this because I
do have a couple of good American friends who are kind enough to
bid and ship to me. Of course I will do the same for them anytime.
L
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Larry wrote:In my case it's not a case of snoozing, it's just that some USA eBay
you and glad it works.
L
Hi Larry,

No nothing to do with the Super 9 Deluxe. I don't go to Ebay nowadays as much as I used to, so even more surprising that I seem to have hit a streak of being able to buy a couple of rare computers at the point of logging in. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by telling you all :) but therefore my asking if you were all asleep :)

Anyway USCF a couple of months ago and Mobile Master a couple of days ago.

Best regards,
Nick
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Seems the Seller got an offer of $1500 for the Fidelity Decorator which was $500 less then his opening bid
so he closed the auction..relisted it at $1500 and it was immediately sold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE- ... 1402215290?

it should be noted that the Decorator was sold with either the normal voice challenger program or the ADVANCED voice challenger program
I have two Decorators one with each program

Voice Of The Past Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Seems the Seller got an offer of $1500 for the Fidelity Decorator which was $500 less then his opening bid

it should be noted that the Decorator was sold with either the normal voice challenger program or the ADVANCED voice challenger program

Steve
Well mine has been on a top shelf in my storage cupboard for years since I bought it. They are so big and in a sense so useless because the legs are so small that you can't put them anywhere in a house on display because of looking out of place with the rest of your furniture. Too big for a table and too small on the floor. Only place to keep them is locked away in storage.

Useless Regards
Nick
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:Seems the Seller got an offer of $1500 for the Fidelity Decorator which was $500 less then his opening bid

Steve
Well mine has been on a top shelf in my storage cupboard for years since I bought it. They are so big and in a sense so useless because the legs are so small that you can't put them anywhere in a house on display because of looking out of place with the rest of your furniture. Too big for a table and too small on the floor. Only place to keep them is locked away in storage.

Useless Regards
Nick
Actually I have been using one of them as a serving tray
you can fit an entire breakfast on the chess board
I enjoy having my morning Coffee and a buttered croissant while being greeted to the familiar and cheerful

I am Chess Challenger...Select your Level and Danish Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Steve

Useless Regards
Nick
Actually I have been using one of them as a serving tray
you can fit an entire breakfast on the chess board
I enjoy having my morning Coffee and a buttered croissant while being greeted to the familiar and cheerful

I am Chess Challenger...Select your Level and Danish Regards
Steve
That might work :idea: :P
Nick
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Larry wrote:In my case it's not a case of snoozing, it's just that some USA eBay
you and glad it works.
L
Hi Larry,

No nothing to do with the Super 9 Deluxe. I don't go to Ebay nowadays as much as I used to, so even more surprising that I seem to have hit a streak of being able to buy a couple of rare computers at the point of logging in. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by telling you all :) but therefore my asking if you were all asleep :)

Anyway USCF a couple of months ago and Mobile Master a couple of days ago.

Best regards,
Nick
Congratulations on your winning bid!

I was the guy at $297, so I wasn't snoozing, just didn't want it that bad. It wasn't worth any more than that to me just to buy it to play it, I can wait for the non-wood version. It will probably be cheaper, too.

I have learned over the years that rarity doesn't mean much to me personally. I have items in another hobby that are quite literally one of a kind and some with very low production. Are they worth more? Sure. Are they more fun? Sometimes, but not necessarily. High prices on some collectibles usually has more to do with too few units chased by too many buyers. It may or may not be indicative of a good value nor does a high price promise a good experience. It may just be in demand because it is rare. Now, if it is a rare item that is universally recognized as being a great product, but was simply under produced, well those items can be very expensive and rightly so.

Yeah Nick, I am new to this hobby, but I catch on fast, so the next time you might have to dig a little deeper to win:)

Until the next time regards,
Brian B
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Brian B wrote:
Congratulations on your winning bid!

I was the guy at $297, so I wasn't snoozing, just didn't want it that bad. It wasn't worth any more than that to me just to buy it to play it, I can wait for the non-wood version. It will probably be cheaper, too.

I have learned over the years that rarity doesn't mean much to me personally. I have items in another hobby that are quite literally one of a kind and some with very low production. Are they worth more? Sure. Are they more fun? Sometimes, but not necessarily. High prices on some collectibles usually has more to do with too few units chased by too many buyers. It may or may not be indicative of a good value nor does a high price promise a good experience. It may just be in demand because it is rare. Now, if it is a rare item that is universally recognized as being a great product, but was simply under produced, well those items can be very expensive and rightly so.

Yeah Nick, I am new to this hobby, but I catch on fast, so the next time you might have to dig a little deeper to win:)

Until the next time regards,
Brian B
Hi Brian,

It is always good to see people getting interested in the dedicated chess computers. I am still amazed that more people are not returning back to these machines with chess programs being unplayable nowadays.

btw... my snoozing comment has nothing to do with the Super 9 :) I was amazed that on two occasions recently I logged into Ebay and someone has just placed a buy now auction and in both cases for computers that are very rare. The one being a Fidelity USCF which rarely gets seen and the other was a Fidelity Elite A/G Mobile Master, also extremely rare. It is for this reason that I asked if everyone was asleep with tongue in cheek, since normally people spot them immediately and make their posts here at Hiarcs!

Best regards,

Nick
Nick
BlackSails911

Recently won Ebay Item

Post by BlackSails911 »

HI I am new to this forum although I have been lurking for about a month. I recently won an Mephisto Exclusive with the MMIV Module.

Seems like a pretty nice unit. Seller was new to Ebay with no feedback, so it was a bit of a risky play. It took a while to get and the seller told me the one he was sending me had a dent in the side so he was waiting for a new shipment, which is odd because these things have not been made in nearly 30 years. I think I have one of the original German boards.

The MM IV is a bit weak for me (seller claims this model has the module MM IV w/ MM V EPROM but I don't know how to confirm that). I would love to get a Vancouver type module but those look very hard to come by. Does anybody know if they make the Revelation or resurrection modules for these exclusive boards?

Lots of good information on these message boards. I hope to get involved more.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Recently won Ebay Item

Post by Steve B »

BlackSails911 wrote: Does anybody know if they make the Revelation or resurrection modules for these exclusive boards?

Lots of good information on these message boards. I hope to get involved more.
Hi
Welcome to the forum
the Premiere forum on the net for anything related to computer chess or chess computers

the Res I and Res II modules were made to work in all of the original Mephisto boards
Modular
Exclusive and
Munchen

i dont own the Rev Modules but i imagine they will work as well

you do need to make certain that your Exclusive board is not the really old one that will only work with 8 bit modules(as in your MMIV module)
most Exclusive boards sold will work with 8 and 16\32 bit modules though so you are probably OK
sadly there is no way to tell the difference cosmetically (unless your board is marked with an "S")

Forum Exclusive Regards
Steve
BlackSails911

Exclusive Board

Post by BlackSails911 »

Thanks for the information. I don't see an S on the board. It has a battery compartment for 5 "C" batteries and seems to be working OK.

I guess I need to contact Mr. Ruud about ordering a module. I don't see a place to order them online. Maybe I will check the German Ebay site for a Vancouver/Lyon/Roma 2 module
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

In this site you can contact Ruud: http://www.phoenixcs.nl/
xchessg

Re: Exclusive Board

Post by xchessg »

BlackSails911 wrote:Thanks for the information. I don't see an S on the board. It has a battery compartment for 5 "C" batteries and seems to be working OK.

I guess I need to contact Mr. Ruud about ordering a module. I don't see a place to order them online. Maybe I will check the German Ebay site for a Vancouver/Lyon/Roma 2 module
Hi,

I have some Phoenix modules. They are designed to work with 5V.

The thing with the older Modular (metallic surface) and the older Exclusives (battery compartement) is that these boards often put "something in excess of 5V" on the modules. Can very well be 6V and more. With early 8 bit module sets like the IV you have, that worked fine. When Mephisto began to put 32 bit modules on the market, they came up with adapter modules (with exactly 5V output) or better regulated boards...

So my advice would be to really mesure what your board puts on the modules. The phoenix modules would run with something like 6V (given they get enough mA), but the higher voltage would cause the expensive display to give way rather early...

Xavier