Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:Somtimes Ebay tries too hard...

i recently lost an auction for a chess computer i had a mild interest in
i already owned the model but i needed the box
anyway...Ebay sends me an email alerting me to the fact that a similar item has now been put up for auction and they are confident i will be interested in it
here is what they sent...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Retro-TOMY- ... 1580299885

:P
I Dont Think So Regards
Steve
I can understand why one wouldn't want the Hello Kitty unit. I'm waiting for the Frozen one.

Princess Regards,
Dave
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I'd almost give real money to get rid of the seller cluttering my ebay feed with repeated postings for individual pieces from the Mephisto Talking Chess Academy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-Mephisto ... SS:US:3160

I get it. When you're missing one piece in a set, it's a nagging thing. I've felt the pain. But still - seller charges $8 per piece. Knocks off a buck for the pawns - a bargain. Shoot, if you had the board and no pieces, you could pick up the entire army for a mere $240.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:
I get it. When you're missing one piece in a set, it's a nagging thing. I've felt the pain. But still - seller charges $8 per piece. Knocks off a buck for the pawns - a bargain. Shoot, if you had the board and no pieces, you could pick up the entire army for a mere $240.

- R.
Yeah
it always annoys me when I see auctions for pieces one by one
just a money grab..mucking around in the misery of others

although.. I think when it comes to the Mephisto Bavaria pieces (which are for the piece/color recognition board) I think selling those one by one is perfectly fine and actually a god send to those with a defective piece(s)
I myself bought a Bavaria black pawn that was auctioned off on Ebay and I was very happy to get it
without a full set of working pieces this very expensive computer is basically

Useless Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Reinfeld wrote:How about this for crazy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
Agreed.. Beyond Ridiculous
i wouldnt even pay that much this complete Fidelity V2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121568877512?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

However if i was still searching for a Saitek Renaissance with the Sparc module i might shell out that much:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261778008114?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Lemon Regards
Steve
Yes, that Renaissance with the Sparc module caught my eye, too. I wouldn't have a problem paying a premium price for that combination. Because that is the #1 item on my

Short list regards,
Brian B
The Ren Sparc sells for an unprecedented $3500
amazing

35 Large Regards
Steve
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

Yeah, how would you like to be one of the guys that bid $3500 and still didn't win? I figured it would take over 3000 Euro to win it. Was it Nick that won it? I think that is his Ebay ID as he has outbid me on other things in the past.

This auction may have caught the attention of other Sparc owners and might just entice one or more to sell. We will have to see about that.

Waiting for the next one regards,
Brian B
mclane

Post by mclane »

The Prices in the Last weeks have gone completely Crazy. And the reason is that some Collectors want to increase their Money by demanding completey nonsense prices.

People who want 500 euro for an Mephisto academy.
Or 150 for a Mephisto II or 150 for a chess challenger 10 or
380 for a month carlo. Mephisto ESB II for 400.

All completely bullshit.

I saw people demanding 400 euro for a Mephisto exclusive mm2.

The exclusive is maybe 120 and the mm2 is maximal 80.
Challenger 10 is nearly 50.
Academy maximal 150.
Monte maybe 100.
Mephisto II 50.
Mephisto ESB II maximal 150.

All prices when in good condition.

What we see in the last days is something that makes me angry because I see a few people who seem to LIVE from selling something with a price that is over any limit, making maximal profit.

Sorry guys but this is not funny anymore.
Why should we suddenly pay 150 or more for a challenger 10 ?
Or the MM2. We could paint the sky with MM2 modules. This module is not rare. Nothing, same counts for exclusive and modular machines.
So modular is 50 and exclusive is maximum 120. And mm2 IS NOT 200 or 300 and together 450 or more. 120 +80 is 200 IF in good condition.

Why would we want to pay 150 or 300 or 500 for a Boris ?? This wooden box is maybe 50 or 80 when in good condition. But not mOre then 100.

A polgar module for 400 euro ????? It's maybe 250. But not more.

There is nothing rare with super system III.
Why pay more then 20 ?

But in the last month the guys who sell these units run completely crazy and I suspect that the collectors need money or want to increase the value of their collection or the few ones making profit want to make more profit.

Guys I do not see a reason why a super system III suddenly costs 100 euro.
When a few years ago it was 20 or even less. There IS no reason we should suddenly pay 100 or more. Nonsense.

Believe me. This whole hobby gets more and more annoying due to people who want to make extra profit.
Last edited by mclane on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:Yeah, how would you like to be one of the guys that bid $3500 and still didn't win? I figured it would take over 3000 Euro to win it. Was it Nick that won it? I think that is his Ebay ID as he has outbid me on other things in the past.

This auction may have caught the attention of other Sparc owners and might just entice one or more to sell. We will have to see about that.

Brian B
Dont know who the winner was but its clear emotions were running high in the auction
just yesterday a friend of mine sold his mint Ren board on Ebay ..with no module ..and he could barely crack $700
advanced algebra tells us that this Sparc module added $2800 or thereabouts to the final price

Sparktacular Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

If someone really, really wanted a Tasc R30 - what would be a fair price for it? Lower than the SPARC I would think although it is stronger, so maybe not by much.

Carl
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:If someone really, really wanted a Tasc R30 - what would be a fair price for it? Lower than the SPARC I would think although it is stronger, so maybe not by much.

Carl
i think a fair price for an R30(V2.5) is $2500 with the Smart Board 30 including the pieces,original manual, velvet pouches for the pieces(preferably Red velvet and not Grey velvet), and adaptor..also nice but not a must would be the box for the R30 unit and the box for the Smart Board

XXX Hardcore Collecting Regards
Steve
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

Steve B wrote:
Brian B wrote:Yeah, how would you like to be one of the guys that bid $3500 and still didn't win? I figured it would take over 3000 Euro to win it. Was it Nick that won it? I think that is his Ebay ID as he has outbid me on other things in the past.

Brian B
Dont know who the winner was but its clear emotions were running high in the auction
just yesterday a friend of mine sold his mint Ren board on Ebay ..with no module ..and he could barely crack $700
advanced algebra tells us that this Sparc module added $2800 or thereabouts to the final price

Sparktacular Regards
Steve
Maybe a bit less than $2800 as there was an Analyst D 6MHz module included, too. According to the seller, this Sparc was his grandfather's computer. I wonder how many old computers are sitting in an attic, or loft, or in a closet just waiting to be discovered by next of kin? On second thought, some of these computers may end up in the hands of one of the grandchildren and just tossed in a toy bin with everything else.

Still waiting regards,
Brian B
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:
Maybe a bit less than $2800 as there was an Analyst D 6MHz module included, too.
your right Brian
i forgot about the Analyst OSA Module
figure about 300 for the module leaving 2500 for Sparky
i guess i forgot all of my high school Algebra
:P

X+Y=Z Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I wouldnt pay 14k(large) for this
i wonder what the seller would want for a complete set?
anyway .. the auction description (which is copied from wiki) ..is a great read!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-World-Ches ... 25a12042a6

1972 Regards
Steve
vonderlasa

eBay is loaded with wishful thinkers

Post by vonderlasa »

One guy has been trying unsuccessfully to sell Seirawan's excellent book on the Fischer-Spasky return match, signed by the author, for about $3300 for months [value: ~$100]. So what does he do? Double down and RAISE the price to $4289.99!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Regrets-Fisc ... 463554d5c9 :shock:
scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello ,

here another crazy sell:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schachcomputer-M ... 4ae5deb466

Nearly 1000 euros for a Modular chessboard with Rebel !!!

br
Nicolas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

All I can say is.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Fidelity- ... 25a159198b

Sweeet Regards
Steve