Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:

I know this Elite is being sold minus it's original box. Steve, does the
original Elite box have it's own distinguishing markings?...eg is there
a copy of the serial number, and perhaps an "Elite" sticker?

L
Hi Larry
No
The Elite was shipped in a normal Fidelity Sensory Champion Box with no special sticker.there might have been a serial number sticker but these fall of so easily its impossible to say
US Distributors of the Elite however did offer a Briefcase type of carry case but this was not sold by Fidelity
also not included are the very valuable Certificate of Authenticity documents as well as the quality control documents in which each member of the production run signed personally, which of course included Ron Nelson's signature
(now that signature i bet is a high priority item for Nick to add to his collection)

if you look very closely at the 5th photo..the front of the computer does show the spot carved out..where the plaque would have been mounted

Hmmm Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:you would think the seller would spring for a $25 adapter to test it
Hi Steve

The "can't test / no adapter / sold as is / no returns" rubbish spouted by too many shadowy eBay sellers makes my blood boil.

I bet nine times out of ten, the adapter is sitting right next to them and they've spent a fair bit of time trying to make their dead unit work.

The second eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller describes a Schachcomputer as "new" when it quite obviously is not.

The third eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller says "I don't know how to play chess" and uses that as an excuse not to disclose all the evil little gremlins afflicting the Schachcomputer in question.

The fourth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller displays pieces and pawns on the board in a weird checkers / draughts configuration. Only slightly less worse is a seller placing kings and queens on the wrong starting squares.

The fifth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller describes the Schachcomputer in question as "rare" when in most cases, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of the things were manufactured.

The sixth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller has an asking price in some cases up to one hundred times the actual value of the Schachcomputer in question.

The seventh eBay thing that makes my blood boil is...

...but that's enough for one posting and it's getting late Downunder Regards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:
Steve B wrote:you would think the seller would spring for a $25 adapter to test it
Hi Steve

The "can't test / no adapter / sold as is / no returns" rubbish spouted by too many shadowy eBay sellers makes my blood boil.

I bet nine times out of ten, the adapter is sitting right next to them and they've spent a fair bit of time trying to make their dead unit work.

The second eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller describes a Schachcomputer as "new" when it quite obviously is not.

The third eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller says "I don't know how to play chess" and uses that as an excuse not to disclose all the evil little gremlins afflicting the Schachcomputer in question.

The fourth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller displays pieces and pawns on the board in a weird checkers / draughts configuration. Only slightly less worse is a seller placing kings and queens on the wrong starting squares.

The fifth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller describes the Schachcomputer in question as "rare" when in most cases, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of the things were manufactured.

The sixth eBay thing that makes my blood boil is when a seller has an asking price in some cases up to one hundred times the actual value of the Schachcomputer in question.

The seventh eBay thing that makes my blood boil is...

...but that's enough for one posting and it's getting late Downunder Regards
And A Partridge In A Pear Tree...
:P

All valid complaints
and Yet...If Not for Ebay I think our hobby would have become...

Extinct Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote: and Yet...If Not for Ebay I think our hobby would have become...

Extinct Regards
Steve
Hi Steve

Indeed yes, this is very true despite all. In fact just this morning (probably because of all the passionate discussion Mr Nelson generates) I was feeling all misty-eyed for the good old days and forked out a whole USD 9.99 for a brand spanking new Mini Sensory on eBay. The shipping cost was almost four times that to reach our great sunburnt land, but it was worth it even if just for the...

...pieces still on sprues in sealed plastic bag Regards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:
In fact just this morning (probably because of all the passionate discussion Mr Nelson generates) I was feeling all misty-eyed for the good old days and forked out a whole USD 9.99 for a brand spanking new Mini Sensory on eBay. The shipping cost was almost four times that to reach our great sunburnt land, but it was worth it even if just for the...

...pieces still on sprues in sealed plastic bag Regards
Hi Cameron
Now all you need it a couple of the Mini ADD-ON Modules(in box with manual of course) and we will have you back to collecting ..full time...
In No Time Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:
klute wrote: Now all you need it a couple of the Mini ADD-ON Modules and we will have you back to collecting ..full time...
In No Time Regards
Hi Steve

Well actually, back in the day, I bought a brand new Mini Sensory when they were current along with CAC and CBO modules - I think I gave the CGG module a miss.

Alas, about 30 years ago I sold them to help finance new Schachcomputer acquisitions.

Now I pine for them again.

So if anyone out there has a working CAC module (must be boxed with manual - I'm a perfectionist!) they could part with, they will be handsomely rewarded...

Challenger Advanced Chess Regards
Jose

Post by Jose »

Steve B wrote:Super Rare Fidelity Elite Champion Sensory Number 124 of 500
Sadly the seller is selling it "As Is" since he cannot say if its working ..
relying on the ol "no power supply" excuse..
for a $900 item you would think the seller would spring for a $25 adapter to test it
also... the front Gold Plaque is missing ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-rare-Fide ... 3aab1d3b87

Its Always Something Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

i wonder about the white Serial-Sticker on that Elite Champion. Perhaps the Mainboard was downgrade or upgrade from Peter Reckwitz?!
If i remember correctly, only HE stick the round White Stickers on their boards? I am not sure if the Mainboard is original...

But the buyer can test here:

http://elpeon.com/index.php?mod=woodenCC

Interesting Regards
José
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:they actually charged you $3 a pop to play against the ARB?
Back in 1978 Chess Discount Sales in Australia charged 50 cents per game against the then brand spanking new Chess Challenger 10!
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cameron

While I have you...
you are an expert on Novag computers

every now an again I see this Novag Graphite being sold on Ebay in a box with a bizarre title..Pack Initiation

any clue what that was all about??
something to do with the French Language??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVAG-PACK-INIT ... 463bff7685

Six Pack Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:every now an again I see this Novag Graphite being sold on Ebay in a box with a bizarre title..Pack Initiation

Hi Steve

Ravensburger (well known in Europe, not so much elsewhere) repackaged the Novag Beryl Plus / Star Beryl under the "Pack Initiation" branding - think of it as a "starter pack" of a chess computer bundled with a chess book. This was similar in principle to what Mephisto used to do with their "Chess School / Schachschule" packages.

Some years earlier, Nathan (another fairly well known company in Europe) bundled the Novag Secondo in much the same way.

Now here's the interesting bit (for me at least) and why I say Beryl Plus / Star Beryl. Both Monsieur Plastique and I have done considerable research on this, but we haven't yet got our hands on one of the little devils to test our theory.

Our theory is that the Beryl variant in the Ravensburger "Pack Initiation" contains a 4K program _with a much larger opening book_ than a standard Beryl variant. We think it's a cut-down version of the 16K Novag program in terms of book (rather than an ordinary 4K Novag program) whilst retaining the higher playing strength.

Therefore, it's quite a bit stronger than one would otherwise think. This would also make the program either unique or almost unique.

I made a huge amount of notes on this at the time, but I'd have to see if I've still kept them.

Strong Novag Beryl variant with big opening book Regards
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote: every now an again I see this Novag Graphite being sold on Ebay in a box with a bizarre title..Pack Initiation

And yes, the Graphite was intended for the French market only and the included booklet is in the French language.

The Graphite has unique blue-coloured buttons quite different to those of a standard Beryl, but it's the secret sauce inside the casing that really interests me.

Incidentally, more than a few people seem to confuse the Granite and the Graphite for some reason. They're totally different things - the Granite has a pretty standard 4K program in an Amber housing.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:

And yes, the Graphite was intended for the French market only and the included booklet is in the French language.

The Graphite has unique blue-coloured buttons quite different to those of a standard Beryl, but it's the secret sauce inside the casing that really interests me.

Incidentally, more than a few people seem to confuse the Granite and the Graphite for some reason. They're totally different things - the Granite has a pretty standard 4K program in an Amber housing.
OK Thanks
I have the Granite but not the Graphite
I am still trying to get my head around the bizarre name"pack initiation"
why this name on the box instead of just...Graphite?

I guess this will just have to remain a ...

Question For The Ages Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:
klute wrote: I am still trying to get my head around the bizarre name"pack initiation"
why this name on the box instead of just...Graphite?
Well "Pack Initiation" in French literally translates as "Initiation Pack" just as "Schachschule" in German translates as "Chess School" and so forth.

Ravensburger wanted to to emphasise that it's a complete training package. I've just had a quick look at my Mephisto Schachschule in the cupboard and it doesn't mention "Mephisto Europa" on the packaging either.

As for naming the computer itself Graphite rather than keeping the Beryl name, possibly Ravensburger simply wanted to differentiate itself. However as summarised in my earlier post, I do strongly suspect it runs a 16K program with the opening book pruned down to fit all the code within 4K - certainly deserving of a new name and a much better sounding one too in my opinion!

After Ravensburger going to all this effort, it's interesting to note that the box artwork itself is pure Novag with only minor modifications. Ravensburger and Novag likely had some kind of joint promotional arrangement, as distinct from a complete rebadging exercise.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote: Well "Pack Initiation" in French literally translates as "Initiation Pack" just as "Schachschule" in German translates as "Chess School" and so forth.

Ravensburger wanted to to emphasise that it's a complete training package. I've just had a quick look at my Mephisto Schachschule in the cupboard and it doesn't mention "Mephisto Europa" on the packaging either.
OK
The Chess School terminology I understand
I guess when you reverse the words and read it as ...Initiation Pack ...then it does make a bit more sense
leave it to the French..

Dom Pérignon Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:
Steve B wrote:Super Rare Fidelity Elite Champion Sensory Number 124 of 500
Sadly the seller is selling it "As Is" since he cannot say if its working ..
relying on the ol "no power supply" excuse..
for a $900 item you would think the seller would spring for a $25 adapter to test it
also... the front Gold Plaque is missing ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-rare-Fide ... 3aab1d3b87

Its Always Something Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

i wonder about the white Serial-Sticker on that Elite Champion. Perhaps the Mainboard was downgrade or upgrade from Peter Reckwitz?!
If i remember correctly, only HE stick the round White Stickers on their boards? I am not sure if the Mainboard is original...

But the buyer can test here:

http://elpeon.com/index.php?mod=woodenCC

Interesting Regards
José
Well the seller has lowered the Buy Now Price by $100
my guess is that he does have an adaptor and he has tested it and that baby is broken
if it was working he could get double this price assuming this was an original Elite Champion and not an upgrade or something more sinister

Deflation Regards
Steve