Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

There seems to be fewer boards of interest on eBay these days. They are there occasionally, but there is so much 'junk' otherwise. Also, prices have generally increased for boards that wouldn't be called collector items in the last year. Sometimes there seems to be a correlation between discussions of some boards on this forum and the subsequent increased eBay price of those same boards.

Case in point: Excalibur Alexandra. You used to see 'new' or 'almost new' Alexandras going for as little as $30 a couple of years ago. Lately, I've seem them priced well over $100. I have had an interest in the Alexandra partly because of discussions here (usual suspect: Fernando :)), but also because I have the Excalibur Pavilion which has the same firmware and LCD and I'd like to see a match between the two of them.

But I'm not interested in paying over $100 for the Alexandra. So this AM (Sun), I take a peek at eBay and there is an Alexandra in 'new' condition with box & manual in great shape (which I believe tends to support the likelihood that the board is well cared for) EXCEPT that one rook is missing. That doesn't bother me- I have at least 2 extra sets of Excalibur pieces. Anyway, Excalibur pieces for boards with this formfactor or that of the King Arthur series are some of the ugliest ever made! I usually substitute them for Fidelity or Saitek pieces.

And the BUY NOW PRICE? Drum-rolll: $18.88 plus shipping.

Dave Hits That BuyNow Button With Lightning Speed Regards!
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote: Sometimes there seems to be a correlation between discussions of some boards on this forum and the subsequent increased eBay price of those same boards.
Yes i have noticed that as well
in fact i notice when ever an auction is mentioned here.. it usually has a dramatic impact on the price and number of bidders.. depending on if the comments made here are positive or negative
Just another indication that the Hiarcs forum is the most watched forum in the world for dedicated chess computers

:P

Congrats On Ms. Alexandra Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

SirDave wrote:There seems to be fewer boards of interest on eBay these days.
Well here's a minty looking Sensory 12B - quite a few seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-Wood-Ch ... 2801328aa5

Not that the 12B is terribly exotic, but it's one of the more interesting Fidelity machines from the mid '80s, at least in terms of the casing.

I personally never cared for this model - the Elegance is a different kettle of fish! I will be content to simply watch from the sidelines.

I see only one potential, one subjective and one actual cause for concern here to would-be 12B owners.

The potential problem is that the seller doesn't appear to have shown it operating, or made any comment one way or another about its operational state.

The subjective problem is that, in my view, the asking price is high.

The actual problem is...

...it appears to be missing its factory plastic bag Regards
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Great photo of the Saitek Cosmic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-Cosmic-C ... 4d33fe23dd

Funkadelic Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well that now infamous Elite Champion appears again after two aborted attempts by the seller to sell it for "Buy Now's" of $1000 and $800 respectively
he has his first bite at $99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-rare-Fide ... 3cfcce30a8

i notice the seller is from Greece
with Greece soon to go bankrupt who knows if the country will even be handle an overseas shipment

Rioting In The Streets Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dont see Many dedicated computers on Ebay from the Austrian Company Peri
The Gamma For your bidding pleasure
complete with box,pieces and manual

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 25a8e9ba85

Rock Me Amadeus Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:Well that now infamous Elite Champion appears again after two aborted attempts by the seller to sell it for "Buy Now's" of $1000 and $800 respectively

with Greece soon to go bankrupt who knows if the country will even be handle an overseas shipment

Steve
The first "bite" , and my only bite. I figured it was worth a punt at $100,
but no more. All four of the remaining feet at the base had been taken off and replaced. We can't even be sure it's an Elite, much less whether or not
it works. Went for way over US$400
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
Steve B wrote:Well that now infamous Elite Champion appears again after two aborted attempts by the seller to sell it for "Buy Now's" of $1000 and $800 respectively

Steve
The first "bite" , and my only bite. I figured it was worth a punt at $100,
but no more. All four of the remaining feet at the base had been taken off and replaced. We can't even be sure it's an Elite, much less whether or not
it works. Went for way over US$400
L
Well as I previously mentioned
the computer is in Greece and with Greece's economy on the verge of total collapse if I were the buyer I would be concerned that the seller will not be able to ship this baby

Bankrupt Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote: Well as I previously mentioned
the computer is in Greece and with Greece's economy on the verge of total collapse if I were the buyer I would be concerned that the seller will not be able to ship this baby

Bankrupt Regards
Steve
At the moment, this is no minor concern. Purchasing items such as chess boards from overseas (to North America) always has extra possible complications -different postal systems, prolonged delivery time and you have less recourse if the item doesn't arrive in working condition.

However, as we speak, Greece is truly on the verge of bankruptcy. Banks have been closed thru July 6 and the maximum withdrawals from ATMs is $66. I wouldn't touch anything on eBay coming from Greece at the moment. (None of this is meant to imply that the people in Greece are any less trustworthy than anyone else. It's the financial system that is broken and all that goes with it.)

Sad Times for a Country With Such Historical Significance Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:
At the moment, this is no minor concern. Purchasing items such as chess boards from overseas (to North America) always has extra possible complications -different postal systems, prolonged delivery time and you have less recourse if the item doesn't arrive in working condition.

However, as we speak, Greece is truly on the verge of bankruptcy. Banks have been closed thru July 6 and the maximum withdrawals from ATMs is $66. I wouldn't touch anything on eBay coming from Greece at the moment.
Exactly
I can just imagine how far my wife would get if only allowed to spend $66 a day..I have tried tons of ways to limit her spending
Now that I think about it.
Perhaps now might be the perfect time to..

Move To Greece Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

SirDave wrote:

Banks have been closed thru July 6 and the maximum withdrawals from ATMs is $66.
I assume that is per day and per account. So a married couple can
withdraw $132 per day, or $924 per week. Most people would probably
be doing pretty much just that. IOW they would be withdrawing more
than normal.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

1000 Euro and counting for this R30 unit with no original box,no manual.. no smartboard and no pieces

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tasc-R30-Schachc ... 488009e5ff

The Cadillac Of Schachcomputers Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:1000 Euro and counting for this R30 unit with no original box,no manual.. no smartboard and no pieces

Steve
The seller's description is in German and on my iPad it's all mixed up.
Isn't this the with a few bad display segments?
That Greek meltdown must be sending people ga-ga throughout Europe.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
Steve B wrote:1000 Euro and counting for this R30 unit with no original box,no manual.. no smartboard and no pieces

Steve
L
My translation program also comes up with a bad display comment
but looking at the photos I cant really see anything wrong with the display?
that third photo on the bottom does look at bit iffy but it just might be the lighting in the photo?
Squinting Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote:

Steve
L
My translation program also comes up with a bad display comment
but looking at the photos I cant really see anything wrong with the display?
that third photo on the bottom does look at bit iffy but it just might be the lighting in the photo?
Squinting Regards
Steve
The seller is talking about some pixel problem in the last line in the display (where the move is given)... Don't know about that, I notice the same thing on and off on mine. What's troublesome is the way some new (with only 6 actions completed) bidder took the bidding from 250 to 1000 in no time... For just a console, no board it seems. Those that have a SB30 for PC connection at home will find themselves short of a connection cable between console and board...

Time for a run on the bank and put one's money safe in something collectable???