Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
b4xter

Re: Saitek Renaissance chess computer with Sparc module

Post by b4xter »

Steve B wrote:
The auction is a bit confusing
the seller must have the power supply as he says the Sparc module is working ..but at the same time he is not including the power supply in the auction ??
does he have the power supply?
if not ..then how does he know that the module is working?
if he does..why not include it in the auction?
makes no sense to me
the board without the module will run on batteries and it seems to be running ok
the truth is that a large part of the final price will be because of the Sparc module and not the board so if i were bidding i would want this issue cleared up

Powerless Regards
Steve
Hi Steve, the seller is me. About the power supply the answer is simple: the original PSU is missing. I have used an old Toshiba laptop's PSU with the Sparc, it is an ordinary 9V 2A model, and I do not want to sell it with the board. That PSU is a European model and can only work on 230V 50Hz network - it is useless if the buyer lives overseas. If someone wants a proof that the module actually works, I think I can demonstrate it somehow (photo or video). Anyway, Ebay protect the buyer: if someone buy a defective or damaged item and starts a Paypal dispute, they immediately withdraw the money from the seller's account until the issue solved. The solution can be partial or full refund, neither Paypal nor Ebay will take the responsibility for such an issue. Of course Ebay still wants the seller fee and the seller have to pay the shipping, so the seller is not protected... This is how I lost $300 and a Novag Robot on a promising business - as a seller (the robot damaged in transit). No doubt, I am a talented and highly skilled looser :)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

b4xter wrote:
Steve B wrote:
The auction is a bit confusing
the seller must have the power supply as he says the Sparc module is working ..but at the same time he is not including the power supply in the auction ??
does he have the power supply?
if not ..then how does he know that the module is working?
if he does..why not include it in the auction?
makes no sense to me
the board without the module will run on batteries and it seems to be running ok
the truth is that a large part of the final price will be because of the Sparc module and not the board so if i were bidding i would want this issue cleared up

Powerless Regards
Steve
Hi Steve, the seller is me. About the power supply the answer is simple: the original PSU is missing. I have used an old Toshiba laptop's PSU with the Sparc, it is an ordinary 9V 2A model, and I do not want to sell it with the board. That PSU is a European model and can only work on 230V 50Hz network - it is useless if the buyer lives overseas. If someone wants a proof that the module actually works, I think I can demonstrate it somehow (photo or video). Anyway, Ebay protect the buyer: if someone buy a defective or damaged item and starts a Paypal dispute, they immediately withdraw the money from the seller's account until the issue solved. The solution can be partial or full refund, neither Paypal nor Ebay will take the responsibility for such an issue. Of course Ebay still wants the seller fee and the seller have to pay the shipping, so the seller is not protected... This is how I lost $300 and a Novag Robot on a promising business - as a seller (the robot damaged in transit). No doubt, I am a talented and highly skilled looser :)
Thanks for your reply
well from the Robot debacle I can see you are an honorable seller
I did not know you were also the seller for the Ren-Sparc
I can only say that if I were going to spend a lot of money on this I would want a quick demonstration that the module is working in the board
no fancy vidoes are needed..perhaps just a screen shot of a level setting that only the Sparc module has and not the program built into the Ren board
Level G1..for example ..which I believe is a 5 min Blitz game (if my memory serves me correctly)
I guess you could provide that as you do have some sort of power supply
I realize the buyer is protected by Ebay but in the unlikely event that the module is defective.. it is a bit of a hassle to resolve the problem(which I guess you know all too well)

Good Luck Regards
Steve
b4xter

Post by b4xter »

Steve B wrote: I can only say that if I were going to spend a lot of money on this I would want a quick demonstration that the module is working in the board
no fancy vidoes are needed..perhaps just a screen shot of a level setting that only the Sparc module has and not the program built into the Ren board
Level G1..for example ..which I believe is a 5 min Blitz game (if my memory serves me correctly)
You are right, Steve. Trust noone.

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

b4xter wrote:
Steve B wrote: I can only say that if I were going to spend a lot of money on this I would want a quick demonstration that the module is working in the board
You are right, Steve. Trust noone.
Well Done

Trust....But Verify Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Sparc is a good module, it cost me an arm and a leg when I got Renaissance with Sparc module, so good luck in your auction. Pleased I did though because my other Renaissance houses Brute Force. I probably should look for another Renaissance to house my Analyst module though someday to keep me from swapping.

Leonardo and Galileo I use for the Maestros.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

A New addition to the "Ridiculously Priced Club"
this guy listed this nonsense last week(see post above) ..ended the auction and now has re-listed it at the same price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVAG-Star-Diam ... 35f0503758

Airhead Regards
Steve
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Seems like a new World Record in Absurd Pricing...
plook

Post by plook »

Steve B wrote:A New addition to the "Ridiculously Priced Club"
this guy listed this nonsense last week(see post above) ..ended the auction and now has re-listed it at the same price

Airhead Regards
Steve
That was the listing I was referring to when I wrote it was refreshing to see an auction that did not start at $3500 or best offer.

But then, what of this?

Mephisto Montreux Electronic Computer Chess Set 32 Bit RISC **RARE**
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231657651387

Disposable income Regards,

Douglas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

plook wrote:
Steve B wrote:A New addition to the "Ridiculously Priced Club"

Airhead Regards
Steve
That was the listing I was referring to when I wrote it was refreshing to see an auction that did not start at $3500 or best offer.

But then, what of this?

Mephisto Montreux Electronic Computer Chess Set 32 Bit RISC **RARE**
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231657651387

Disposable income Regards,

Douglas
actually we don't know what it sold for
the seller accepted the best offer and there is no info on the final price
my guess would be something under $1000 which is fair for the Montreux which is a rare computer
certainly far rarer then the Saitek 2500

Less Then Full Transparency Regards
Steve
plook

Post by plook »

Steve B wrote: actually we don't know what it sold for
the seller accepted the best offer and there is no info on the final price
my guess would be something under $1000 which is fair for the Montreux which is a rare computer
certainly far rarer then the Saitek 2500

Less Then Full Transparency Regards
Steve
You are most correct. It is certainly odd how eBay lists sold items choosing to sometimes display Best offer accepted... or not. One has to delve deeper to discover the obfuscation.

Rhyme nor reason Regards,

Douglas
b4xter

Post by b4xter »

spacious_mind wrote:Sparc is a good module, it cost me an arm and a leg when I got Renaissance with Sparc module, so good luck in your auction. Pleased I did though because my other Renaissance houses Brute Force.
As time passes, I started to feel uneasy about the Renaissance board. The Sparc module is just a fancy thing for me - to be honest I did not use it too much -, but the board is my all time favourite. It is a joy to play with it though the built in engine is not too strong (but it is enough for my poor playing level). I started to play with the idea that I should cancel the listing on Ebay... but unfortunately cannot keep it: it is too large and heavy, and soon I move to the other half of the globe, without my collection. Life is sucks.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dont see too many Wooden CXG computers being sold by a US seller
there is some slight damage to the board ..still... the Sphinx Commander is a fairly rare computer

you can tell from the sellers description that he is pretty knowledgeable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXG-SPHINX-COMM ... 3d0223e4c3

He Probably Lurks Here Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Dont see too many Wooden CXG computers being sold by a US seller
there is some slight damage to the board ..still... the Sphinx Commander is a fairly rare computer

Steve
Not sure if that is a Commander maybe a 40 Plus.
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:

Steve
Looks like a Commander to me
i have one that looks just like it
but the model number would tell us more
my Commander is model number 3018
the 40 + is 3038

40 Something Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Steve
Looks like a Commander to me
i have one that looks just like it
but the model number would tell us more
my Commander is model number 3018
the 40 + is 3038

40 Something Regards
Steve
Maybe I am blind but I don't see a model number on it.
Nick