Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

And the Modified computers just keep on comin...

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... SwiwVWRbs-

Will There Be No End To This Madness Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote: Will There Be No End To This Madness
to make a long story short: No! :roll:

That's The Market Regards,
Michael
plook

Post by plook »

Steve B wrote:
trontreez wrote: I think Steve's referring to the old "I don't have the power cord game".
correct
the ol trick rears its ugly head yet again

Make it 44 Regards
Steve
Elite A/S Challenger Chess
Auction is about to end (reserve currently not met) and I notice the seller added this:
On Nov-12-15 at 12:02:20 PST, seller added the following information:
in addition to previous description in picture 7 you'll see that there is a small scratch area by game control switch on the border, I also wanted to include that I have found and ordered a power cord that goes to this chess set and will have it within 2 weeks from now so the chess set will be complete
That will be long after the auction ends, so I am curious what tactic this might be?

Maybe for the next time around Regards,

Douglas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

plook wrote:

Elite A/S Challenger Chess
Auction is about to end (reserve currently not met) and I notice the seller added this:
I also wanted to include that I have found and ordered a power cord that goes to this chess set and will have it within 2 weeks from now so the chess set will be completeThat will be long after the auction ends, so I am curious what tactic this might be?
sounds like a ploy to have the buyer feel more confident that the computer is not defective

anyway.. the highest bid was $395..which did not meet the reserve price..still..not bad for a computer that is almost certainly
Defective Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:
chesspcmac wrote:
HI Steve, That upgrade was possible, my R.I.P serbian friend on Montclair NJ offered it to me once. Now I just checked his old pamphlets and the price was $449 US dollars.
I wish I had regards

Mike
Thanks Mike
i think i know who you are talking about
the guy who ran PBM International?
i just looked through some of his brochures and pamphlets that i have
couldnt find an offer to upgrade the Premiere but i do see him offering all kinds of Fidelity upgrades
not sure if these were Fidelity Factory Authorized though?
did he ever mention to you that they were?
if not it could explain why these upgraded Premieres dont have Fidelity Serial numbers

Located The Source Regards
Steve
perhaps another upgrade?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Elit ... 1991941617

EAS---->V2 Regards
Steve
plook

Post by plook »

Steve B wrote: sounds like a ploy to have the buyer feel more confident that the computer is not defective

anyway..it sold for $395..not bad for a computer that is almost certainly
Defective Regards
Steve
Or did it? The listing shows "Reserve Not Met", so the seller could possibly relist the auction and hope for better, perhaps with the promise of the adapter forthcoming.

Time Will Tell Regards,

Douglas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

plook wrote:
Steve B wrote: sounds like a ploy to have the buyer feel more confident that the computer is not defective

anyway..it sold for $395..not bad for a computer that is almost certainly
Defective Regards
Steve
Or did it? The listing shows "Reserve Not Met", so the seller could possibly relist the auction and hope for better, perhaps with the promise of the adapter forthcoming.

Time Will Tell Regards,

Douglas
i corrected my post 2 minutes before your reply above

Post Mortum Regards
Steve
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Steve B wrote:
perhaps another upgrade?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Elit ... 1991941617

EAS---->V2 Regards
Steve
Well for a start the Avant Garde box does not match the A/S challenger product. Dual LCD's vs. one. I highly doubt Fidelity would bother to upgrade the box as well as the board. Two model/serial numbers just looks plain suspicious when Fidelity just could have stuck one on top of the other. The 2265 plate makes things a little more interesting but again if you have a non-working V2 ... The no returns policy is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Hybrid regards,

Your Pal
tt
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Modding, but at the cheaper end of the market -

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schachcomputer-/ ... SwxN5WUe5z

The front of a Chess Partner 3000. Bits of the back of a Chess Partner 2000 and a chessboard and pieces which we are told are not part of the auction but for decoration purposes only. :D

v12 regards
Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

i actually have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-IN-BOX-RAD ... Sw7FRWU9Fq

Cost me $35 Brand Spanking New Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:i actually have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-IN-BOX-RAD ... Sw7FRWU9Fq

Cost me $35 Brand Spanking New Regards
Steve
People shouldn't encourage them by watching and following the auction. It gives the buyer delusions about the price.

I wonder if any person of the 7.3 Billion people on earth assuming they all had access to see the auction, would actually click on the buy now button and buy it. Excluding of course toddlers who might accidentally click on the button.

Maybe a super rich wife who thinks that a chess computer with the wording "Rare" might be a suitable Christmas stocking filler for her executive jet setting hubby who happens to have a chess board on display in his office to impress his visitors? LOL... maybe that's one scenario, can you think of other scenarios?

Hmmm... thinking about it, I hope he sells it. I will then immediately put "Disney Magic Castle Encouraged and Authenticated by the one and only Walt Disney Himself ... Super Extremely Rare, ...suitable only for super wealthy kids under the age 18" on Ebay for a meagre $20,000!

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Hmmm... thinking about it, I hope he sells it. I will then immediately put "Disney Magic Castle Encouraged and Authenticated by the one and only Walt Disney Himself ... Super Extremely Rare, ...suitable only for super wealthy kids under the age 18" on Ebay for a meagre $20,000!
I am a good judge of character and I know you would never do a thing like that
you have high moral standards for which I commend you
I on the other hand have no such standards...

Magic Castle auction with your exact auction title will be posted in a few Hrs Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Magic Castle auction with your exact auction title will be posted in a few Hrs Regards
Steve
We need to go all out, get all our money back in one swoop and make a slight profit to cover time used for shipping and handling of computer....

$1,000,000.... regards :P
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Steve
We need to go all out, get all our money back in one swoop and make a slight profit to cover time used for shipping and handling of computer....

ps.. I will even do a deal with you. You put yours up for $1,000.000 and I will put mine up at bargain price of $950,000 and if mine sells first we split the $950.000! LOL
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Steve

ps.. I will even do a deal with you. You put yours up for $1,000.000 and I will put mine up at bargain price of $950,000 and if mine sells first we split the $950.000! LOL
We need a third to join us
we shall call ourselves...

The Second Gang Of Three Regards
Steve
:P