Just playing

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Just playing

Post by Reinfeld »

I love the limits of dedicated machines.

I'm approaching a vacation, veering into a pleasant chess binge. So I fired up the Designer 2325 with fresh batteries and played a little match with my phone - the app is Chess Pro, which reportedly relies on the Chess Tiger engine. I have a fistful of nasty apps (including Hiarcs and Shredder and Stockfish), but I like the training interface of Chess Pro. It has a nice incremental feel.

So I'm running 2325 through a sort of gauntlet against the app's rating system to see where it ranks. In other words, play at default settings, stop occasionally to sip a cooling beverage, and gradually dial up the alleged strength of the app (Fide ELO) until 2325 starts losing. Yes, I realize the app's "ratings" are loose. I'm going for chess jazz.

I set 2325 at default - nothing fancy, and I'm not being rigorous about time control. The machine is cruising comfortably so far - roaring up to 1950 ELO without losing a game, and it's fired off a few beauties. I'm looking for that zone of balance - the spot where the programs are evenly matched. When I reach it. I'll be curious to see what happens when I give 2325 more time. More to come.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Great experiment, specially the part of the fresh beverage.
The Fidelity you mention is a nasty beast, difficult to beat, if at all. I do not remember I ever did. Perhaps a draw.

Fern
Festina Lente