The Surprises of Ivan the Conqueror by Excalibur

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The Surprises of Ivan the Conqueror by Excalibur

Post by Fernando »

After playing several games against Alexandra, I took from my vault Ivan the Conqueror, supposedly using the same program as his sister, but, to my experience, playing a much better game.
It is said that that could be so because Ivan thinks in the adverse time and Alexandra does not, BUT I tend to think that something more is in the offing. I have been victim of one or two incredible combs by Ivan because I never even suspected such a plastic machine could ever think in something like that. I am sure Alexandra never played like that and neither did Champion Chess Challenger or even Elite. I talk of the sacrifice of a rook by a pawn!!! From then on a row of moves took me to a losing material condition after a succession of checks and threats. I was the victim but I was delighted. It is ever something good to experience that this or that comp. is capable of better game than you believe and so you must play more carefully next time.
No, i did not save the position.....

Fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Did you ever get round to checking for those bugs I mentioned last year?

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61039#61039
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Did you ever get round to checking for those bugs I mentioned last year?

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61039#61039
Yes, I did. In both cases the machine behave as you predict, with those bugs....

Fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Thanks. A shame but I suppose it comes down to how frequently they actually effect game play. The big thing in favour of your machine is that it does seem to play a better game than the barely adequate Alexandra.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Thanks. A shame but I suppose it comes down to how frequently they actually effect game play. The big thing in favour of your machine is that it does seem to play a better game than the barely adequate Alexandra.
A lot better game I dare to say, perhaps 100 Elo or more.
I have played both units many times and I have difficulties to beat Ivan, not so Alexandra.
My guess: Ivan is 1850-1900
Alexandra is 1700-1750

Just guesses, I insist

Fern
Festina Lente