style Hiarcs-14

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
barquero37

style Hiarcs-14

Post by barquero37 »

anyone can comment on the style of play of Hiarcs-14?.
what changes in your style of play?
yanquis1972

Re: style Hiarcs-14

Post by yanquis1972 »

barquero37 wrote:anyone can comment on the style of play of Hiarcs-14?.
what changes in your style of play?

the only thing i've read so far is speculation that it's significantly better tactically. don't know about actual 'style' as i don't yet have it, tho it seems (to me) that hiarcs has been moving in a more 'solid' direction the past couple releases, w/ hiarcs paderborn being the last of the king attack monsters.

a couple links referencing the aforementioned engines --

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25609

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25603 (scroll down for the chart here or do a find 'werewolf'; H14 is not tested as i don't believe he owned it at that time but PB 2007 is)
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Well I hope compared to 13.2 that H14 knows when to exploit advantages better.I have noticed with 13.2 that it is quite happy to trade lots of material to end up with a symbolic end game advantage which is only enough to draw. Where as if it kept Queens and other material on then there is more chances to keep pressure on and make the middle game last longer. I don't yet own H14 so can't tell what the difference is.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

On the style I will quote a customer:
"H14 is much quicker to find the correct way as H13.2 and also will playing more aggressive move, too, especially
to find the winning way.

I think, you did a very good job!!"

On the endgame, H14 has a better understanding of material imbalances and when to exchange down. However, I still think this area can be improved further.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Mark Uniacke wrote:On the style I will quote a customer:
"H14 is much quicker to find the correct way as H13.2 and also will playing more aggressive move, too, especially
to find the winning way.

I think, you did a very good job!!"

On the endgame, H14 has a better understanding of material imbalances and when to exchange down. However, I still think this area can be improved further.
Converting everything to bitboards etc. in 64bit, wouldn't that add a substantial gain in power?

I just like to know why Hiracs hasn't been rewriten to get the absolute best the program could provide.

Thanks Mark!

Best Regards,
Terry McCracken