Registration Question before buying!

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

chesskish

Registration Question before buying!

Post by chesskish »

I have been looking to purchase the Chess Explorer having heard favorable reviews and also to support the hard work of a honest programmer.
My questions are these:

1. I have 5 PCs and two laptops (all are shared by my sons and myself at office and home) and I would like to know if my purchase is having any limitations to installing in all these computers.

2. I also would like to know if it will work on my P3 1 Ghz ancient system (which is a relict now serving my nostalgic memories as it was my 1st comp).

Suggestions: I also have a DGT board and would love to get DGT support any time soon along with Engine-Engine matches.
That is all I look forward.

There is no hurry for my suggestions but my queries may please be answered sooner as my mind wavers every minute!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The license is for personal use of HIARCS Chess Explorer. Provided the software is used only by you for personal use then that is ok. If your sons are children then including them sounds ok.

However, if your sons are adults then they should buy their own license to use the software as your license will not cover them to use the software as well as you.

About your old P3 you would need to contact me about the spec/OS and I will see what can be done. I cannot guarantee it will work on such an old system but I do have customers running on P3s so it is possible depending on OS.

Engine/engine matches and DGT support are features being considered for future releases, however they may not be available until version 2 so don't base your purchase decision on them definitely being in one of our version 1.n updates.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
chesskish

Post by chesskish »

Mark Uniacke wrote:The license is for personal use of HIARCS Chess Explorer. Provided the software is used only by you for personal use then that is ok. If your sons are children then including them sounds ok.

However, if your sons are adults then they should buy their own license to use the software as your license will not cover them to use the software as well as you.
I forgot to add that they are school going children. Only one plays chess. However he does not use any chess software as the coach has strictly warned him not to use it till he gives permission for fear that they may become lazy. Its only me who uses the programs and that too for mundane chess experiments and printouts.
Mark Uniacke wrote:About your old P3 you would need to contact me about the spec/OS and I will see what can be done. I cannot guarantee it will work on such an old system but I do have customers running on P3s so it is possible depending on OS.
I will post them here in a day or two, if it starts that is:). However its not that big a block as I rarely use it except for nostalgic purposes.
Mark Uniacke wrote:Engine/engine matches and DGT support are features being considered for future releases, however they may not be available until version 2 so don't base your purchase decision on them definitely being in one of our version 1.n updates.
I was really counting on this coming up in the current development schema. As much as I appreciate your HONESTY (which will really push me to buy the program) I am compelled to wait for the version 2 which will give the required support for the DGT and Eng-Eng features.

I am astonished at your honesty and patience in dealing with my queries. I wish you all success and hope to see your engine coming in to my computers as soon as technically possible. Though it may not matter much for other chess lovers it does matter a lot for a DGT owner.
God bless you!
chesskish

Post by chesskish »

chesskish wrote:Though it may not matter much for other chess lovers it does matter a lot for a DGT owner. God bless you!
I meant the DGT functionality not the program... which is tremendously useful :o
chesskish

Post by chesskish »

Finally done it!!!
The purchase was a breeze and I am really happy at the speed of the program. There are some areas of improvement but I think it will evolve into a top notch program very soon. I hope I will be playing with this program and its future versions for a long time to come. I will be documenting my discoveries with this program in my website and will also share it here.

I am happy to be a part now!

Some important areas for developments:
  • Native file format for better management like Scid and Chessbase to increase database limits.
    Or higher PGN database size limits.
    Configurable window-docking, drag and drop capabilities.
    Board-sounds or move announcements while watching a game (right now its enabled only while playing a game).
    Option to have text below menu icons as we need to hover for a few seconds now to see what it stands for.
    Option to search all_open_databases from a new board window position.
    Option to remember recent databases (5 or 10) or open a default database every time the program starts.
    Option to add kibitzers along with the main engine to get a different analysis.
    Option to show threat as an arrow and in analysis pane.
    Option to choose a specific opening whilst playing a sparring game.
The last one is important for my son's training and I am sure it will be useful for all aspiring players using this program.
And many more that I forgot while posting this post. I remembered them while using the program yesterday but I will see again...
All in all a great program and vastly superior direct author support. What more can one ask? :D
P.S I will be installing in my P3 system soon!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks for the feedback, many of the points you raise are under consideration. HIARCS Chess Explorer already contains a few of the feature requests you mention:

Board-sounds or move announcements while watching a game (right now its enabled only while playing a game).
The latest v1.2 has board sounds and this can be applied to ALL moves even when replaying a game.

Option to remember recent databases (5 or 10) or open a default database every time the program starts.
Recent databases are remembered and available on the File->Open recent menu item. Also recent games in a database are remembered and available from the recent games list.

Option to choose a specific opening whilst playing a sparring game.
You can choose between many openings in the Play dialog before a game is played. This makes it possible to practice specific openings in a sparring game.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
chesskish

Post by chesskish »

Thanks for your response Mark!
You are right. The board options are possible in all cases when the option in the dropdown menu is selected.
Regarding the Recent databases list I was aware of the 'Recent Databases' option but I meant a database that can be opened as default when starting the program. On hindsight its not needed now as the program may hang if the database would be corrupted or the HDD gets slowed down or for any reason. So please strike off that request.
Maybe in future when we have a native database format it would be better used?

Regarding the specific openings to be used while playing a parring game I found it was available when we ticked the option 'Nonstandard Opening position'. I guess that was why it was difficult for me to find. At first I assumed it to be Chess960 or some setup position sort of a feature and hence I did not venture to check it out. Maybe it is better renamed as 'Choose specific Opening' or something similar? Just MHO.

And is it possible to edit these nonstandard opening positions to suit our choices? If its a PGN file it would be great if we could have all our repertoire lines and just play those lines.

Looks like I need to really sit down and study it better. And that is what I am doing and enjoying now.
Regards and best wishes
Kish.