Choosing HIARCS book style

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

martinus

Choosing HIARCS book style

Post by martinus »

Hello!

I started recently playing rated games with HIARCS, under the games statistics in Sigma Chess, using the Mac Hiarcs 11.2 MP and setting Elo force according to the evolution of mine. Over the board games are currently not a choice for me and I got tired of online abusers.
I want Hiarcs to vary openings and so, to better simulate human play, but I don't want it to play a lot of eccentric or inferior moves; I woudn't mind one once and a while, but 1 to 3 each game is too much. Rare variations at half the games would be nice, but it is too much if I never can play a main line or choose my own wild variation before Hiarcs.

My question is: is it better for me to use to opening book as varied, wide or as wild? The documentation don't tell exactly what is the difference. Could someone elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Choosing HIARCS book style

Post by Harvey Williamson »

martinus wrote:Hello!

I started recently playing rated games with HIARCS, under the games statistics in Sigma Chess, using the Mac Hiarcs 11.2 MP and setting Elo force according to the evolution of mine. Over the board games are currently not a choice for me and I got tired of online abusers.
I want Hiarcs to vary openings and so, to better simulate human play, but I don't want it to play a lot of eccentric or inferior moves; I woudn't mind one once and a while, but 1 to 3 each game is too much. Rare variations at half the games would be nice, but it is too much if I never can play a main line or choose my own wild variation before Hiarcs.

My question is: is it better for me to use to opening book as varied, wide or as wild? The documentation don't tell exactly what is the difference. Could someone elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks.

Hi,

On the Mac there are 4 settings for the book:

1. Tournament
2. varied
3.wide
4. wild

Varied seems like what you are looking for. Tournament will play a lot of variations but only the very best lines in the book. varied will still play good lines but with more variety which seems to be what you are looking for. Wide will give a lot of variety but some lines maybe suspect. Wild well - anything can happen use this when you want some fun!

Enjoy,

Harvey
Fuzzie

Post by Fuzzie »

Hmm, I've just upgraded to HIARCS 11.2SP from 10 (and Sigma 6.1.5 from 6.1.3). I can't find the menu option for setting these book styles. I can see the Library menu option which provides the list: Sigma Library, Sigma Chess Access, etc., and the Sigma Chess Access gives: Solid Tournament, Extended, Full. I cannot find any documentation related to these items, neither on the Sigma website nor on HIARCS.

I would like to have the Varied option if possible as I'm getting fed up with playing only 2-3 openings all the time.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Fuzzie wrote:Hmm, I've just upgraded to HIARCS 11.2SP from 10 (and Sigma 6.1.5 from 6.1.3). I can't find the menu option for setting these book styles. I can see the Library menu option which provides the list: Sigma Library, Sigma Chess Access, etc., and the Sigma Chess Access gives: Solid Tournament, Extended, Full. I cannot find any documentation related to these items, neither on the Sigma website nor on HIARCS.

I would like to have the Varied option if possible as I'm getting fed up with playing only 2-3 openings all the time.
Click on Analyze then engine then engine manager then Book Style - you can then set it to whatever you want.
martinus

Post by martinus »

Sigma Chess have an excellent online manual:

See here: http://www.sigmachess.com/_usersmanual/ ... l#CONTENTS

Your subject here http://www.sigmachess.com/_usersmanual/ ... %20Options
Fuzzie

Changing the openings book style

Post by Fuzzie »

Thanks for the replies; I now see how to change from the Tournament default. It's not obvious from the Sigma online manual that the Engine options do cover the setting of the Openings book style.
martinus

Post by martinus »

"It's not obvious from the Sigma online manual that the Engine options do cover the setting of the Openings book style."

Agreed. For the engine settings you also get the Hiarcs manual, in a text file, that comes with the engine, file called "H11ReadMe.txt"