Reference database in Chess Explorer

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Horatio

Reference database in Chess Explorer

Post by Horatio »

Hi,

Suppose I have a 100,000 games database open in Chess Explorer, and that I enter a game I have played. Is there a way to see in the game explorer window all the games that match the current position of the game I'm entering?. This is possible in Chessbase, but I haven't found how to do it in Chess Explorer.

Thanks,

Horatio
packi

Post by packi »

You can copy the position and the go Search->Position to find similar positions in your db.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Another approach you can use which is quite powerful.. you can copy and paste the game into the database (the game does not actually have to be saved into the database to do this).

The advantage of this is that you can step through the game just pasted and by selecting the database in the source selector you can lock the Show games button on. You will then have all the games which correspond to the current position shown automatically in the Game Explorer game list. Many strong players find this approach useful.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

I have found Mark's method to be very powerful and a delight to use. Paste the game into a new game and select 'Database' as your Source in the drop down menu on the right hand side. Works very well.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try them, but frankly I think it would be better if there was simply a specific feature to do this when one enters a game.

For example, I start CE, open database A and start entering a game - I would like to be able to open at the same time a reference database B and see in that database the games that match the current position of my game. Are there plans to implement this in a future version of CE?