HIARCS Chess Explorer for Mac: engines not launching?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

mwhoyle

HIARCS Chess Explorer for Mac: engines not launching?

Post by mwhoyle »

Hello,

I purchased a copy of HIARCS Chess Explorer for the Mac about a month or so ago. Each time I try to analyze a game (hit F2 or click the "Start/stop Current Engine" button), I get an error:

Engine HIARCS 14 WCSC has unexpectedly quit

This is on a MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Can someone help? I did move the application files from their default install location into a "Games" folder in my Applications folder, but I just upgraded to v1.4 and left the files where they install by default. Still get the error.

Matt Hoyle
[/img]
mwhoyle

Post by mwhoyle »

Think I may have found the problem. WHen I navigated to the Engines tab in the Preferences, selected the HIARCS 14 engine and clicked Configure, I got the same error. I added the engine again, and it now seems to be working.

Matt
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes, basically HCE stores a path to the engine and uses that path to start the engine. The path is a preference and is not altered in anyway by an update.

If an engine is moved, the path to the engine stored by HCE in its preferences is then pointing to nothing (the engine has been moved). To correct this you can remove the engine entry from the Preferences->Engines tab and use the Add button to browse to the new location and add the engine back in. HCE can then access the engine.

This has highlighted our error message in this case about engine unexpectedly quit is misleading so we will change this so it more accurately explains the issue so the user can correct it.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com