Fidelity Mini Sensory Chess Challenger opening modules

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Fidelity Mini Sensory Chess Challenger opening modules

Post by Reinfeld »

This little device was the first chess computer I ever owned. It took a while, but I learned to defeat it and graduated to Excellence.

At the time, I did not know about the opening modules that came with the mini. I have searched high and low for these cartridges for two years, and I've yet to see one for sale (a hint to PM me, if anyone is interested).

I'm also curious if the added modules affect the rating/strength. As with all low-level machines, it's difficult to measure ratings, and this one is no different. Still...I wonder if the difference (with modules) is noticeable.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Actually R ..Fidelity released 3 modules for the Mini Sensory I and Mini Sensory II
Only one was a book module

Module CAC-Advanced Chess Module
this module increased the number of playing levels,added a move take back feature,added pondering ,increased the book size and added some other features

Module CGG -33 Great Games
Had 33 GM Games you could follow or try to guess the next move

Module CBO-Book Openings
1,798 opening moves with the ability to select any one of 62 opening lines

I cant say the that level of play is noticeably better with the CAC module although you would think so with the pondering feature
however i noticed that most ponder hit moves were catastrophic blunders

Modular Madness Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I recently came across a CAC module, but it does not have any documentation. I've been searching online but so far no luck, though the search continues. Is there anything in the documentation that I really need in order to use it, or is it simply adding levels (from a user operation perspective).

Thanks!

[UPDATE:] Schach-computer.info says that the module adds the features and levels of the Fidelity Sensory 6. If that's the case, then the Sensory 6 manual should help me figure out any settings. Can anyone confirm this, maybe by comparing the manuals?
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I tend to doubt that the CAC module turns the mini into a sensory 6 however i didnt check that

here are the new level settings for the CAC module...
1-7 SEC AVG
2-30 SEC AVG
3-1 MIN AVG
4-2 MIN AVG
5-3 MIN AVG
6-INFINITE

some other changes:

you can use the TONE key to take back moves
DM key can offer move suggestions
problem mode once engaged at the beginning of a game auto cleares the
entire board

CAC Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Thanks, Steve -

That's the info I needed. The settings correspond exactly to the Sensory 6 settings (except for using the Tone key to take back moves).
Cheers,

Jeff B.