Question for Novag Obsidian owners

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
scandien

Post by scandien »

hello

The playing level cannot be check with with this pondered graph ( or even this test)... This graph indicates the weakness and the strength of the player/machine.

there is a graph with brute data (not given here) , indicating the real rate of success int the differents position, but i have the feeling it cannot be considered , as the test was initialy created by the author for human. So i have the feeling too, that machine very efficient versus human will get better result.

This is why i ponder the brut data to fit a mean of 50 . By the way i can see for a particular machine, if it's playing level is dueto tactical skill or Strategic skill. If it plays best in middle game or in endgame and so on...
With all this analysis i can give a playing style for the machine.

It seems to be compliant with the real style as described in internet

a absolute balanced player will have 50 in every skill , you are rigth. and it seems the best machines/players are very balanced
bess regards

Nicolas
scandien

Post by scandien »

i will try to explain the system

in this image

i have a meaning for 14 machines ... this indicates more or less the playing style of machines.

As you can see the strength of machine relys on severals skills :
Tactics (tactique in french)
defense
threats detection (menace in french)
and counter attack (contre attaque in french)

normally machine are better during middle game , and in general are not so efficient in endgame.

As well attacks and sacrifice are the weak points for machine (the ability to identify a weakness, to mobilize their piece and to plan a long term attack on this weakness, and the ability to sacrifice material to get a positional advantage).

helping this could help

best regards

Nicolas
[/list]
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

what do the numbers mean? when is calcul 14 for example??
scandien

Post by scandien »

hello

you can find explanation on m home page.

The different rating in each category indicate where are the strength and the weakness of the machine. The values are pondered toc50 , this mean that , whatever the level of the machine, the mean will be 50; This pondering allows me to compare the playing style of the machine or if you prefer , it enables me to see the skill on which the strength relys for the machine (the level is compared in rating list).

Nomally 'calcul' (in english calculation) refers to the skill to predict the opponent move, and in general to computer the good variation.
I do not know machine with a calculation rating of 14 ( this is generally a strong point for computer)

best regards

Nicolas
Irrawang

Novag Agate plus

Post by Irrawang »

Played my Novag Agate plus for the first time at 5 sec/move and was appalled by its play. It doesn't develop its pieces properly and then just shuffles them around, moving its rook back and forth from h1 to g1 etc. it is supposed to have a 16K Kiiinger program but I seriously doubt that.
Re the Obsidian. I have a Novag Emerals Classic plus (which is probably very close to the Obsidian) and it plays some very passive moves in the opening. Not necessarily a bad thing as most chess computers play an aggressive and active game and variety can be a good thing.

Cheers, Rob.
Always pays to read the manual.