Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:
Steve B wrote:I worked with Roberson on about 10 different versions until it worked great
he would send me the revised UCI and then I would load it up and tell him the issues..we did this until it worked fine and then we stopped
I might go through ten different versions in three hours. This could take a week if I had to wait for interaction from another person.

A much better model would be like the Android or the iOS ecosystems where a developer is free to work at their own pace without the need for assistance by others.
perhaps..so...
it seems to me you should just out and buy a Rev II
make whatever changes you want..however many times you want ..and load them up yourself using the UCI server
why do you need the engine hardwired into the Rev ll?

Enlighten Me Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:why do you need the engine hardwired into the Rev ll?
Why would anyone need an engine hardwired into a Revelation ll?

Why should one engine be treated any differently from another?

Why not have the Revelation ll come with no engines and force all engines to use a separate computer?

As I wrote earlier, closed system = show-stopper.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:
Steve B wrote:why do you need the engine hardwired into the Rev ll?
Why would anyone need an engine hardwired into a Revelation ll?

Why should one engine be treated any differently from another?

Why not have the Revelation ll come with no engines and force all engines to use a separate computer?

As I wrote earlier, closed system = show-stopper.
show stopper for what??
some owners will never use the UCI option because they don't want to have to connect to the PC as it defeats the real purpose of a dedicated computer
I for one rarely use it

the UCI option was an added EXTRA ..a free bonus..first offered in the Resurrection ll and Revelation I
aside from this FREE EXTRA OPTION .. all engines in the Rev are hardwired into the computer as is the case
WITH ANY DEDICATED CHESS COMPUTER
permission was received from every engine author to hardwire it into the computer and for some of the engines a license fee had to be paid by the owner(Hiarcs,Shredder,etc.etc.)

Your Obsidian is a closed system so I don't see your gripe

Huh ? Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

closed system = show-stopper

Not for what, but for who.

A closed system is no good for anyone who wants a dedicated computer experience using their own program or an open source program from another author.

Also, why should a Revelation II or any other piece of machinery be closed to its owner?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:
Also, why should a Revelation II or any other piece of machinery be closed to its owner?
Well to answer that question go ask....
Fidelity
Mephisto
Scisys
Saitek
Conchess
Novag
CXG
CLG
Tasc

to name a few Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

You seem to miss the point: If some are allowed modification, why aren't all allowed modification?

Secondarily, why is the Revelation II closed? There is no good reason, or at least no good reason from the viewpoint of independent authors.

I'd like to hear from Ruud on this. Maybe it's just because he hasn't yet written the necessary documentation, and that's okay.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:You seem to miss the point: If some are allowed modification, why aren't all allowed modification?

Secondarily, why is the Revelation II closed? There is no good reason, or at least no good reason from the viewpoint of independent authors.

I'd like to hear from Ruud on this. Maybe it's just because he hasn't yet written the necessary documentation, and that's okay.
your right
I have no clue what your point is
but I am not thinking about this an engine author
you can contact Ruud via his web site

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php

Nuff Said Regards
Steve
ifekali

Post by ifekali »

sje wrote:If some are allowed modification, why aren't all allowed modification?
Modification is always allowed, just don't expect the maker to help you with it. He is under no obligation to do so.

-Izmet
http://fekali.com/collection
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I'm rather dumbfounded that the fact that the RevII is not open to accept software from independent authors is somehow a 'show-stopper'. As I understand it, the original objective was to provide a Cadillac-style dedicated board that plays all the engines of modules, or emulations thereof, from classic boards of the past.

I can only imagine the obstacles Ruud faced. To make the RevII open-source capable would have required a substantial extra challenge with relatively little return in sales.
xchessg

Re: download manual pdf

Post by xchessg »

chesspcmac wrote:http://www.revelationii.com/

go here to ->> download -->>PDF manual for the revelation

Mike

Hi,

DGT has done some work on the Site. It is now possible to register your Rev II.

Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

xchessg wrote:

Mike

Hi,

DGT has done some work on the Site. It is now possible to register your Rev II.

Xavier
Thanks
Done
the bluetooth number they ask for is a bit confusing
i tried to register 3 times before i finally got it
I had to leave out the last three digits before DGT would accept my registration

Exhausted Regards
Steve
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cadillac-style ... Perfectly described, Sir Dave.

Objective achieved, in my view.
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:

Mike
Thanks
Done
the bluetooth number they ask for is a bit confusing
i tried to register 3 times before i finally got it
I had to leave out the last three digits before DGT would accept my registration

Exhausted Regards
Steve
That will have to be rectified. Something was (is?) wrong with the register form, you really ought to be able to fill in 12 charactes (digits and capitals) which you find in the menu under "Bluetooth status" : BX- XXXXXXXXXXXX

Anyway, my advice is don't hurry, I've got the impression they're working on it at DGT...

Something for next week, I gather.

Xavier
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

SJE, who is that guy in your AVATAR?
I think the Revaltion II is a beautiful machine as is. If I had Mr. SJE's talents maybe I would be wondering why the REV II doesnt have an open system. If I had SJE talents I would be trying to program an arm robot to work with my DGT board.
Anyways, With regard of the emulations:
DOes anybody have an idea in what NEW engines is Ruddy working on? Any ideas what will be in the next firmware.
I was able to download most of the emulation's manual from some french site but there are a few english manuals missing (eg london, glasgow). Dont you think that ed SHroder and Richard Lang should provide those manuals when you buy the emulations since it is their product?
Now that I have used the REV for couple of weeks, I think another improvement should be that REV II reads the position of pieces on the board as soon as the board is TURN ON and asks you who is to move next. Kind of like a shortcut for ANALYZe or position SET UP.

Mike
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

chesspcmac wrote:SJE, who is that guy in your AVATAR?
Oh that's easy...

RoboCop... :lol: