Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks

Now there is upgrade information on Ruud's Site

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php

upgrade looks great

Cant Wait Regards
Steve
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

-" Switching between different modus is improved, you can do this now with CLEAR + ENTER to go to standby and then ENTER to switch on again or ENTER +UP or ENTER +DOWN to switch to e-board or emulation modus."

Anybody cares to clarify this, thanks

"ahhh regards" "exciting regards"

Miguel
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote:-" Switching between different modus is improved, you can do this now with CLEAR + ENTER to go to standby and then ENTER to switch on again or ENTER +UP or ENTER +DOWN to switch to e-board or emulation modus."

Anybody cares to clarify this, thanks

"ahhh regards" "exciting regards"

Miguel
Hi Miguel
while i do not yet have the upgrade...i think this means you dont have to power OFF the computer if you want to switch to Eboard or Emulations modes if you are currently in the normal engine mode as you have to do now
you can enter "standby mode" then switch from normal mode and go to Eboard or Emulations
it avoids a complete power down

3.14 Regards
Steve
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Thanks Steve!!!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Seems the Rev II Site finally has the registration process working in good order
i was able to register recently with no problems
you will need your serial number and Bluetooth address to register
Undisclosed Sources tell me the new 3.14 Firmware upgrade will be posted to the site sometime next week and available only to registered owners
it is imperative that all Rev II Owners register on the official site

http://www.revelationii.com/

as mentioned in my post above.. the Upgrade brings significant enhancements to the E-Board functions of the board ..along with some other tweaks

Deep Throat Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:Seems the Rev II Site finally has the registration process working in good order
Maybe they're expecting a steady flow... Go check on newinchess.com, under "Top sellers in our shop": In 6th place we have... Revelation II. Now doesn't that bring tears to your eyes, Steve? If not, it certainly will rise an eyebrow at Saitek HQ.

Crisis is behind us regards
Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

xchessg wrote:
Go check on newinchess.com, under "Top sellers in our shop": In 6th place we have... Revelation II. Now doesn't that bring tears to your eyes, Steve? If not, it certainly will rise an eyebrow at Saitek HQ.

Crisis is behind us regards
Xavier
Wow
:shock:

Well.. Ruud must now be a very wealthy man
i am glad..he deserves it
i only hope he will remember those first ..poor poverty stricken customers ..who helped him get his first start

Unwashed Knuckle Dragging Masses Regards
Steve
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Steve, Has Mark Felt ....I mean deep Throat told you was new for 3.14!!! I hope is true what you said about the upgrade being released next week.
In other note, now that I had a chance to play with the REV II for several days one thing that bothers me is setting up a chess position, whats the use of having recognizable pieces if you have to place the pieces on the board when you are told to do so? I wish I could read a chess book with the REV II and the computer was able to analyze whatever position is on the board as long as you tell it whether is white or black to move (without using the taking back option :( )

Dreaming regards

Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Not sure of the issue your having with setting up a position Mike
it works like a snap:

turn on computer
set the pieces up anywhere you want
press and hold ...position set up until you hear a beep
press clear ..and wallah
your position is in the computer

just ignore what you see on the screen until after you hear the beep and press clear

Snap Crackle And Pop Regards
Steve
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

How do you tell the computer in this situation black is at the bottom and white is to move?
Thanks Steve!!

"the devil is wise because he is old not because he is the devil" Regards

Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote:How do you tell the computer in this situation black is at the bottom and white is to move?
Thanks Steve!!

"the devil is wise because he is old not because he is the devil" Regards

Mike
that is a little tricky
there is a "reverse the board" key you must press
then set up the position
the last piece you place on the board determines the color to move
so make sure you place a white piece last

you will have to fiddle with this a bit but eventually you can get the board to realize that black is on bottom moving up the board when setting up a position
I tried this last week and got it to work but it took me a few tries

Black From Bottom Regards
Steve
PATB

Post by PATB »

Is there a site where I can see other dimensions of the full chassis besides WxDxL? I am interested in knowing the distance from the edge of the board (chess board) to the edge of the chassis closest to the player. I am trying to see if it would be uncomfortable for me to reach out and make moves, because the display extends into the player's edge.

I am currently using a DGT board with picoches or laptop, but would like to upgrade to a Rev II. The Rev II is a beautiful machine! The main thing that is stopping me from ordering is the uncertainty of whether or not the board will be too far out for me. I can't tell from the pictures.
ifekali

Post by ifekali »

It's 13 cm from the front edge to the fields. It's just about right.

What bothers me is the side rails, lifting the chessboard off the surface. I'm guessing this protects the Rev from coke spills at computer chess tournaments that Ruud goes to. :-|

However, I'm guessing there's about zero other Rev owners that do so. Prove me wrong, I'll eat this post along with the replies.

The damn rails add too much unnecesarry volume and weight. I want the board flat on the table.

I'm cutting them off.

-Izmet
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ifekali wrote:It's 13 cm from the front edge to the fields. It's just about right.

What bothers me is the side rails, lifting the chessboard off the surface. I'm guessing this protects the Rev from coke spills at computer chess tournaments that Ruud goes to. :-|

However, I'm guessing there's about zero other Rev owners that do so. Prove me wrong, I'll eat this post along with the replies.

The damn rails add too much unnecesarry volume and weight. I want the board flat on the table.

I'm cutting them off.

-Izmet
Actually i take my Rev ll and Rev I boards everywhere with me
the nifty carry cases make them easy to tote around
you put your arms through the straps and you can carry them around on your back like a back pack
i even take them with me on short trips to the grocery store when i am in the mood for a cold beverage or a pack of Cigarettes

Rev To Go Regards
Steve
PATB

Post by PATB »

Ifekali, thank you for the quick reply and measurement.