Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

Steve B wrote:
chesspcmac wrote:How do you tell the computer in this situation black is at the bottom and white is to move?
Thanks Steve!!

"the devil is wise because he is old not because he is the devil" Regards

Mike
that is a little tricky
there is a "reverse the board" key you must press
then set up the position
the last piece you place on the board determines the color to move
so make sure you place a white piece last

you will have to fiddle with this a bit but eventually you can get the board to realize that black is on bottom moving up the board when setting up a position
I tried this last week and got it to work but it took me a few tries

Black From Bottom Regards
Steve
This can be done even easier although i am not sure if Steve is indicating this procedure. Goto setup, press Enter to store the current position and press Enter yet again. The system will now indicate reverse board.
The new Arrow signalling even gives you more information who is at play and what the direction for play is..
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

ifekali wrote:It's 13 cm from the front edge to the fields. It's just about right.

What bothers me is the side rails, lifting the chessboard off the surface. I'm guessing this protects the Rev from coke spills at computer chess tournaments that Ruud goes to. :-|

However, I'm guessing there's about zero other Rev owners that do so. Prove me wrong, I'll eat this post along with the replies.

The damn rails add too much unnecesarry volume and weight. I want the board flat on the table.

I'm cutting them off.

-Izmet
Izmet,

On my system you can slide a flat mirror like surface from beneath the Revelation II, so the space there can be used for coke related matters. However, i have it there to check if my hair is ok.

I know you dislike the rails, however i like them very much. It gives the system a specific and unique design. And as i told you, you can remove the rails, however this can damage the board in a cosmetic way (which is not guaranteed ;) ). Remember the rails also give the possibility to take the board easily from the table. Most owner would like to store the system after playing so now they can lift the board with ease. As the Revelation II has some weight, if the board is flat on a table it is not that easy to lift from a table.

From a design point, and Steve knows this, my first idea with the Revelation I was a drawer like system as the Mephisto boards. When this did not work, i liked the rails this much, that it was kept in the design.

Greetings from Holland,
Last edited by phoenixcs on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

Steve B wrote:Seems the Rev II Site finally has the registration process working in good order
i was able to register recently with no problems
you will need your serial number and Bluetooth address to register
Undisclosed Sources tell me the new 3.14 Firmware upgrade will be posted to the site sometime next week and available only to registered owners
it is imperative that all Rev II Owners register on the official site

http://www.revelationii.com/

as mentioned in my post above.. the Upgrade brings significant enhancements to the E-Board functions of the board ..along with some other tweaks

Deep Throat Regards
Steve
Steve,

Yep, they published 3.14 as a new production releases this week. Glad the site is now working as it should be. In the future if we have newer engines, this also gives the possibility to distribute these easier.

Best,
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
ifekali

Post by ifekali »

phoenixcs wrote: I know you dislike the rails, however i like them very much.
When I look at it, it is a beautiful machine. Removing the rails would make it elongated, a bit weird.

Your design choices are good. It's only the utilitarian in me that cries foul. ("I'll be *using* the damn machine, not looking at it!")

I'll probably solve my problem by mounting the Rev into a table flat with the surface like the Rev I you did once iirc.

-Izmet
ifekali

Post by ifekali »

phoenixcs wrote: On my system you can slide a flat mirror like surface from beneath the Revelation II, so the space there can be used for coke related matters. However, i have it there to check if my hair is ok.
OMG, took me a day to get the joke. Rotfl.

I meant Coca Cola spills, of course. :)

-Izmet
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

With the Release of the new 3.14 Firmware upgrade for the Rev II..
there have been significant improvements to the E-board and UCI server features of the board
even though all of these new enhancements are great they can sometimes be overwhelming with all of the bells and whistles
i longed for a more simpler time ...i pined for the good old days where i could just turn on a dedicated chess computer and play ..so....

I Decided to test the new operating system by playing a NO Frills,Nothing Fancy,Old Fashioned ..game of Chess...
NO E-Board mode
NO Emulations Mode
NO UCI Server mode
just turn on the computer..load up Hiarcs 14.1 and play a game

i chose as the opponent.. Shredder Classic 4 running on my Quad Core 2.4 Ghz 64 bit Laptop
i dont know exactly but my laptop is probably running at least 4x faster then the 800 Mhz Xscale PXA320 processor running in the Rev II

TC was 30 Sec/Avg.
Surprisingly Shredder was out of book on move 4
Hiarcs get off to a fast start winning the minor exchange by move 24
as play continued Shredder managed to create 2 queenside passed P's forcing Hiarcs to sack its R in order to prevent their promotion
the resulting position had Shredder up a N+2P Vs.3P but the position was
drawn

[Date "2014.08.26"]
[White "Rev II-Hiarcs 14.1"]
[Black "Shredder Classic 4-Quad Core Laptop"]
[Time Control-30/Sec. Avg.]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 h6 4. Bd3 Bb4 5.e5 c5
6. Qg4 Ne7 7. dxc5 d4 8. Nf3 Nbc6 9. a3 Ba5 10. b4 Nxb4
11. axb4 Bxb4 12. Bd2 Bxc3 13. Bxc3 dxc3 14. Qxg7 Rg8
15. Qxh6 Qc7 16. O-O Qxc5 17. Be4 Bd7 18. Bxb7 Rb8 19. Rfb1
a5 20. Be4 Rb2 21. Rd1 Bc6 22. Ng5 Rxg5 23. Bxc6+ Nxc6
24. Qxg5 Rxc2 25. Qg8+ Ke7 26. Kh1 Qxe5 27. Qc8 Rd2
28. Qb7+ Kd6 29. Qxf7 Rxd1+ 30. Rxd1+ Kc5 31. Qf8+ Kb5
32. Rb1+ Nb4 33. Qc8 Qf5 34. Qd7+ Kc4 35.Qc7+
Qc5 36. Qxc5+ Kxc5 37. h4 Nd3
38. h5 c2 39. Rf1 Kd4 40. h6 Ne5 41. h7 Nf7 42. g4 Kc3
43. Kg2 Kb2 44. g5 Nh8 45. Kf3 c1=Q
46. Rxc1 Kxc1 47. Kg4 a4
1/2-1/2

FINAL POSITION
[fen]7n/7P/4p3/6P1/p5K1/8/5P2/2k5 w - - 0 48[/fen]

Shredder offered a draw here
Hiarcs was showing 0.00 as the score so i accepted the offer

Simple Yet Powerful Regards
Steve
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

How and where in the Revelation II website can this new firmware be downloaded? Is it indeed available now? I checked "Downloads" and all I saw are the Rabbit Plugins (32 and 64 bit), and the UCI Server.

Thanks
Scrooge
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Scrooge_Mcdude wrote:How and where in the Revelation II website can this new firmware be downloaded? Is it indeed available now? I checked "Downloads" and all I saw are the Rabbit Plugins (32 and 64 bit), and the UCI Server.

Thanks
Scrooge
Hello,
Well first you have to register and/or log in, then you'll notice that the Site offers more once you are logged in.

Xavier
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

xchessg wrote:
Scrooge_Mcdude wrote:How and where in the Revelation II website can this new firmware be downloaded? Is it indeed available now? I checked "Downloads" and all I saw are the Rabbit Plugins (32 and 64 bit), and the UCI Server.

Thanks
Scrooge
Hello,
Well first you have to register and/or log in, then you'll notice that the Site offers more once you are logged in.

Xavier

I am registeted at the Revation II website. I just couldn't find the log in field. Maybe because I'm using my phone. I'll check it out on a regular oc when I get home. Thanks Xavier.

Regards,
Scrooge
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

xchessg wrote:

Thanks
Scrooge
Hello,

Xavier

I am registered at the Revation II website. I just couldn't find the log in field. Maybe because I'm using my phone. I'll check it out on a regular oc when I get home. Thanks Xavier.

Regards,
Scrooge
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

Okay, I was able to log in on the Rev II website using a regular pc. I still couldn't find the latest firmware. In the "Extra Software" folder of tje "Downloads" tab, all I saw are the Rabbit Plugins (32 and 64-bit), and the UCI Server file. No v3.14 firmware. Can anyone direct me to the right spot?

Thanks,
Scrooge
Staplegrove

Post by Staplegrove »

It is in the Updates section at the bottom of the Download page.

But, it does say it is still in Beta, so I'm waiting until it becomes final before I give it a go.
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

Staplegrove wrote:It is in the Updates section at the bottom of the Download page.

But, it does say it is still in Beta, so I'm waiting until it becomes final before I give it a go.
Thanks so much.

Regards,
Scrooge
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Staplegrove wrote:It is in the Updates section at the bottom of the Download page.

the 3.14 firmware upgrade isn't really a beta
for all intent and purposes its final
Ruud qualifies it as a "Beta" because he cant guarantee it is 100% bug free
I installed it..works great
you will be missing out on a lot of the new features if you don't install it until it is "Final"(which might be never)

He Who Hesitates Is Lost Regards
Steve
Staplegrove

Post by Staplegrove »

Well if that's the case, I'll install it - thanks Steve!