Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Thanks Shaun, I must drop Ruud a line about it. I imagine it might be something that appeals more to the weaker chess players amongst us. Mind you the Rev 2 is capable of a standard well beyond all of us.

I too think that the idea of having a separate box of tricks is a good one and makes upgrading the hardware more straightforward. Although personally, I can't really imagine electing to update the hardware for the Rev 2 given that its already capable giving the strongest players in the world a run of their money.

Regards,

Paul H
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

I've just been looking at the available programs in the emulation set and noticed that the later Ed S. ones seem to be missing.

I'm pretty certain Ed has ported these to UCI so does anyone know why there's no

RISC II (Gideon 3.1?)
ChessMachine (whatever version that was...)

?
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Carl Bicknell wrote:I've just been looking at the available programs in the emulation set and noticed that the later Ed S. ones seem to be missing.

I'm pretty certain Ed has ported these to UCI so does anyone know why there's no

RISC II (Gideon 3.1?)
ChessMachine (whatever version that was...)

?
Hi,

These emulations are no UCI engines! Emulations work within 8 bit or 16 bit software emulated "hardware".

Which is exactly the reason why Gideon versions running on ARM2 processors don't run within the emulation package. Ruud has worked on a ARM2 emulation, but it's complicated; For starters the Mephisto RISC sets have actually two CPU's on board, the ARM2 and an 8 bit in the control unit...

Xavier
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Hi,

These emulations are no UCI engines! Emulations work within 8 bit or 16 bit software emulated "hardware".

Yes I realise this, but I thought now it has been ported to UCI there would now be a certain "openness" to the code which might make permission easier etc.

Which is exactly the reason why Gideon versions running on ARM2 processors don't run within the emulation package. Ruud has worked on a ARM2 emulation, but it's complicated; For starters the Mephisto RISC sets have actually two CPU's on board, the ARM2 and an 8 bit in the control unit...

Xavier

But this I didn't know.
Now it makes sense why it is so hard.

I really hope he succeeds, if he does just about every Rev II owner will want that emulation...
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Is there a way to attach files to this message system? I have carefully gone through the BT2630 test, removed numerous mistakes and recorded the solve times onto an excel spreadsheet.

It's quite interesting to see how all the dedicated machines perform against each other.

If there's a way, I'll post it and anyone with a Rev II machine (or other high end dedicated) can add their results...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:Is there a way to attach files to this message system? I have carefully gone through the BT2630 test, removed numerous mistakes and recorded the solve times onto an excel spreadsheet.

It's quite interesting to see how all the dedicated machines perform against each other.

If there's a way, I'll post it and anyone with a Rev II machine (or other high end dedicated) can add their results...
Hi Carl
you cant attach a file to a post but you can attach a link to a web site which contains that file for downloading

here is a link for other BT test Suites(2630 and 2450) for dedicated computers

http://www.schachcomputer.at/bt2630.htm

How Suite It Is Regards
Steve
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Just a thought: with the Revelation II is it possible to load the latest HIARCS books (the one available by subscription) into the onboard 14.1 engine instead of the standard one?
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Thought I would revive this thread with a question. It has already been asked by Shaun earlier. However, with no clear answer forthcoming I thought Id give it another shot. Anyone know what effect UCI limit strength has on the play of the chess engines, what the actual purpose of this function is and how it interacts with other strength reducing functions such as lowering elo etc.? Many thanks in advance.

Paul H
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Actually, Ive just found an old thread entitled 'How to adjust the proper settings for play" and Harvey Williams states that you need to enable UCI limit strength in order to activate the lower elo settings. Ive been doing this intuitively anyway, but its very helpful to know nonetheless. Loving playing on this chess computer by the way. It is a joy to own and use.

Paul H
Shaun

Altering Rev 2 performance

Post by Shaun »

Hi Paul, would welcome your further comments on this interesting sub-topic. Do you play it or play other computers agonist it? Or both?

Best Regards
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Hi Shaun,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've only just seen your post. I no longer pit computer against computer due to time constraints. I just play the beast myself. The issue I have is how to tame the selected engine to play a realistic game of chess without making daft moves or over obvious weak moves. At the moment, using Hiarcs, I am experimenting with a stronger ELO of around 1500 but lowering the selective search value and the combination search value. This seems to be producing a better result for me. Relying on lowering the elo alone seems less effective in producing a believable opponent. The trouble is I haven't yet come across owners of the Revelation 2 who talk about ways of taming strength for best results. In my case its a work in progress.

Best Regards,

Paul H
Shaun

Another trip to DGT anticipated!

Post by Shaun »

For the second time in some 12 months, my Rev 2 has developed a major fault. This time it's the OLED display. It's completely blank. If this was a new car, or a tv, you'd be asking for your money back. I'm disappointed, frankly, because I haven't used it very much and have taken great care of it. If I wanted something that'd last for a few months, I'd have bought second-hand and cheaply. Credit to Ruud and Ken of Doska Chess, though, who came back to me really quick. Anyone in the community experienced similar difficulties?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Ruud has posted an April 2015 update in the news secton of his web site
in that update..he mentions that to date more then 150 Res ll's have been sold worldwide
an overwhelming success
at an average price of $4000 USD a pop.well you can do the math...
his company has come a long way from 2005 when he released the very first Resurrection I modules ..and I ..your humble correspondent..was his very first customer

Happy 10th Anniversary!

Take Over Candidate Regards
Steve
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello Steve and all,

Anybody has decided to update their Rev II with the new Anniversary Edition module ?

I have ordered my upgrade recently. Seems easy to do the update : unscrewing those 14 screws and swapping the old "computer on module" (PXA320) for the other with an iMX7...

See it there: https://youtu.be/FQBKZ6XzHoc

Swappable regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.