iPad PGN question

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

lexvo

iPad PGN question

Post by lexvo »

I'm trying to import the following PGN via the clipboard:

[Date "????.??.??"]
[Result "*"]
[FEN "1kr2b2/ppr1nq1p/5p2/3RpP2/R2pP3/3N2B1/2P4P/3Q3K w - - 0 1"]

1.Rxe5 fxe5 2.Nxe5 Qe8 3.Qxd4 b6 4.Nd7+ Kb7 5.Rxa7+ Kxa7 6.Qxb6+ Ka8 7.Qa6+ Ra7 8.Nb6#

When I want to load (paste) this, the menu says "No PGN game available".
I can load (paste) this PGN in other chess programs however.

Obviously, Hiarcs is missing something in this PGN. I have tried making small changes in the PGN text, but that didn't help. Am I overlooking something?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "?"]
[Black "?"]
[Result "*"]
[SetUp "1"]

1.Rxe5 fxe5 2.Nxe5 Qe8 3.Qxd4 b6 4.Nd7+ Kb7 5.Rxa7+ Kxa7 6.Qxb6+ Ka8 7.Qa6+ Ra7 8.Nb6# *

Try importing this one!
lexvo

Post by lexvo »

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that one works.
I managed to get it to work by importing it in another chess program, export it, and import the PGN in Hiarcs.

So it looks like Hiarcs needs those extra lines. The problem is, I import PGN's from chess.com and these are all in the short format as shown in my first post.
Tord Romstad

Re: iPad PGN question

Post by Tord Romstad »

lexvo wrote:I'm trying to import the following PGN via the clipboard:

[Date "????.??.??"]
[Result "*"]

1.Rxe5 fxe5 2.Nxe5 Qe8 3.Qxd4 b6 4.Nd7+ Kb7 5.Rxa7+ Kxa7 6.Qxb6+ Ka8 7.Qa6+ Ra7 8.Nb6#

When I want to load (paste) this, the menu says "No PGN game available.
Are you sure you copied this correctly before importing to Hiarcs (and that you didn't, for instance accidentally omit the initial '[' character in the first header tag)? I don't currently have Hiarcs installed on any of my devices, but Stockfish, which as far as I know has identical or nearly identical PGN code, has no problems importing the above game fragment. Incomplete headers shouldn't matter, the only required header tag in the above example is the FEN tag, and this is required only because this fragment doesn't start from the initial position (a full game doesn't require any headers at all). I would expect it to work the same way in Hiarcs.
lexvo

Re: iPad PGN question

Post by lexvo »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Are you sure you copied this correctly before importing to Hiarcs (and that you didn't, for instance accidentally omit the initial '[' character in the first header tag)? I don't currently have Hiarcs installed on any of my devices, but Stockfish, which as far as I know has identical or nearly identical PGN code, has no problems importing the above game fragment. Incomplete headers shouldn't matter, the only required header tag in the above example is the FEN tag, and this is required only because this fragment doesn't start from the initial position (a full game doesn't require any headers at all). I would expect it to work the same way in Hiarcs.
Yes, I checked that the whole code is complete. Besides, I have an other chess program (Chess pro with coach) which imports the PGN without any problem.