Advice for general workflow using HIARCS with chess books

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

e4-homie

Advice for general workflow using HIARCS with chess books

Post by e4-homie »

I am slowly working my way through the book Opening Repertoire: The Queen's Gambit by Damian Lemos. What is the best way to use HIARCS while studying chess books?
  • Should I create a database dedicated for the book?
  • Should each chapter of the book (Gambit decline, Tarrasch defense, Slav defense, etc.) be it's own separate "HIARC game"? And if so, just work the variations within that game or create their own "game"?
In general, I'd like to learn from you what the ideal workflow is when working with HIARCS, chess books, or chess videos.

Thanks!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Advice for general workflow using HIARCS with chess books

Post by mrudolf »

e4-homie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:38 am I am slowly working my way through the book Opening Repertoire: The Queen's Gambit by Damian Lemos. What is the best way to use HIARCS while studying chess books?
I don't know about the books, but for opening databases I tend to use a single game for a single variation I may want to prepare. For example, you are likely to know your opponent plays Exchange Ruy Lopez against 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6, so your line against it would be a single game in my database. This make it easier to adjust your repertoire (move a game to another database or replace it).
EloDeficit

Re: Advice for general workflow using HIARCS with chess books

Post by EloDeficit »

You could save all games in a single database, add custom flags to games as needed, and which you could then use in addition to HIARC's built-in facilities to search based on ECO classifications.