HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone
 
 QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

DGT board C++ interface project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
shiv
Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DGT XL clock arrived Reply with quote

sje wrote:
sje wrote:
My DGT XL clock has arrived and works solo. I'll be doing basic connectivity and functional testing with it over the next few days.

At last I've had the chance to try the DGT XL clock with the board. The DGT utility program recognizes the clock, but this takes a power cycle of the clock under some circumstances.

I have a couple of more issues to work out on my Raspberry Pi board, like getting the network interface running. Once these are resolved, I'll load PicoChess on the RaspPi and give it a try.


FYI: If you use the raspbian image (simply download and extract image onto card), networking and almost everyhing works out of the box. You can plug in a network cable and it will connect. Use the pi finder app (ivanx.com) or perform a TCP port scan on your LAN to get the ip of the pi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sje
Full Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 639
Full Name: Steven Edwards
Location: Land of Snow, Mud, and Bugs, NH USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DGT XL clock arrived Reply with quote

shiv wrote:
FYI: If you use the raspbian image (simply download and extract image onto card), networking and almost everyhing works out of the box. You can plug in a network cable and it will connect. Use the pi finder app (ivanx.com) or perform a TCP port scan on your LAN to get the ip of the pi.

I am already using the Raspian distribution. I use the ifconfig utility to do most network tinkering. It looks like the kernel is seeing the RaspPi NIC but is not seeing a physical connection on the NIC even after tinkering. I suspect that the RaspPi is underpowered; I will try a powered USB hub next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiv
Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DGT XL clock arrived Reply with quote

sje wrote:
I am already using the Raspian distribution. I use the ifconfig utility to do most network tinkering. It looks like the kernel is seeing the RaspPi NIC but is not seeing a physical connection on the NIC even after tinkering. I suspect that the RaspPi is underpowered; I will try a powered USB hub next.


Might be the power. I have used both 1A and 2A with success. I did not have to issue any ifconfig command. It was literally plug and play for me. I am using DHCP and not static IP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sje
Full Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 639
Full Name: Steven Edwards
Location: Land of Snow, Mud, and Bugs, NH USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The network connectivity problem has been solved by a cable swap (which probably didn't do anything) and by swapping out the Onn mouse for a mouse by Acer. Now my RaspPi can get the correct date/time automatically when it boots and I can get updates installed (rather slowly). I did not have to add a powered USB hub.

There's not much free space on a 4 CB SD card. With a 32 GB card, I could load many tablebase files when hosting my own chess programs.

Unfortunately, many SD cards do not work well with the RaspPi.

See: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiv
Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sje wrote:
The network connectivity problem has been solved by a cable swap (which probably didn't do anything) and by swapping out the Onn mouse for a mouse by Acer. Now my RaspPi can get the correct date/time automatically when it boots and I can get updates installed (rather slowly). I did not have to add a powered USB hub.

There's not much free space on a 4 CB SD card. With a 32 GB card, I could load many tablebase files when hosting my own chess programs.

Unfortunately, many SD cards do not work well with the RaspPi.

See: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards


A random 16GB SD card worked for me. I connect to my pi via ssh and dont bother with hdmi display. Apt-get installs and compiling on the Pi feels slow to me as well.

On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans? I want to add this feature to picochess and also an UI. My main utility is after myself trying to understand endgames.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sje
Full Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 639
Full Name: Steven Edwards
Location: Land of Snow, Mud, and Bugs, NH USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiv wrote:
On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans?

At present, I seriously doubt if I will be doing any more public tablebase stuff this year, if ever. Maybe someone else can help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shiv
Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sje wrote:
shiv wrote:
On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans?

At present, I seriously doubt if I will be doing any more public tablebase stuff this year, if ever. Maybe someone else can help.


No worries. However, I was just looking for one line of info. How do I perform a tablebase position in Linux or Mac OS? It looks like gaviota API can help. I still feel this is a lot of work to do a TB lookup, but perhaps such is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sje
Full Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Posts: 639
Full Name: Steven Edwards
Location: Land of Snow, Mud, and Bugs, NH USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiv wrote:
How do I perform a tablebase position in Linux or Mac OS? It looks like gaviota API can help. I still feel this is a lot of work to do a TB lookup, but perhaps such is life.

I have no idea. I am not the person to ask.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Revolt
Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Help to do comms to DIY eboard Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am *VERY* interested in an open source means to do comms to an eboard.
If I can get advice from the programs author as to how to set up the eboard comms protocol I can expedite low cost, open source DIY eboard kits.


Have a look at this more detailed post..
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7015
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP