DGT board C++ interface project

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

shiv

Re: DGT XL clock arrived

Post by shiv »

sje wrote:
sje wrote:My DGT XL clock has arrived and works solo. I'll be doing basic connectivity and functional testing with it over the next few days.
At last I've had the chance to try the DGT XL clock with the board. The DGT utility program recognizes the clock, but this takes a power cycle of the clock under some circumstances.

I have a couple of more issues to work out on my Raspberry Pi board, like getting the network interface running. Once these are resolved, I'll load PicoChess on the RaspPi and give it a try.
FYI: If you use the raspbian image (simply download and extract image onto card), networking and almost everyhing works out of the box. You can plug in a network cable and it will connect. Use the pi finder app (ivanx.com) or perform a TCP port scan on your LAN to get the ip of the pi.
sje

Post by sje »

shiv wrote:FYI: If you use the raspbian image (simply download and extract image onto card), networking and almost everyhing works out of the box. You can plug in a network cable and it will connect. Use the pi finder app (ivanx.com) or perform a TCP port scan on your LAN to get the ip of the pi.
I am already using the Raspian distribution. I use the ifconfig utility to do most network tinkering. It looks like the kernel is seeing the RaspPi NIC but is not seeing a physical connection on the NIC even after tinkering. I suspect that the RaspPi is underpowered; I will try a powered USB hub next.
shiv

Post by shiv »

sje wrote:I am already using the Raspian distribution. I use the ifconfig utility to do most network tinkering. It looks like the kernel is seeing the RaspPi NIC but is not seeing a physical connection on the NIC even after tinkering. I suspect that the RaspPi is underpowered; I will try a powered USB hub next.
Might be the power. I have used both 1A and 2A with success. I did not have to issue any ifconfig command. It was literally plug and play for me. I am using DHCP and not static IP.
sje

Post by sje »

The network connectivity problem has been solved by a cable swap (which probably didn't do anything) and by swapping out the Onn mouse for a mouse by Acer. Now my RaspPi can get the correct date/time automatically when it boots and I can get updates installed (rather slowly). I did not have to add a powered USB hub.

There's not much free space on a 4 CB SD card. With a 32 GB card, I could load many tablebase files when hosting my own chess programs.

Unfortunately, many SD cards do not work well with the RaspPi.

See: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
shiv

Post by shiv »

sje wrote:The network connectivity problem has been solved by a cable swap (which probably didn't do anything) and by swapping out the Onn mouse for a mouse by Acer. Now my RaspPi can get the correct date/time automatically when it boots and I can get updates installed (rather slowly). I did not have to add a powered USB hub.

There's not much free space on a 4 CB SD card. With a 32 GB card, I could load many tablebase files when hosting my own chess programs.

Unfortunately, many SD cards do not work well with the RaspPi.

See: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
A random 16GB SD card worked for me. I connect to my pi via ssh and dont bother with hdmi display. Apt-get installs and compiling on the Pi feels slow to me as well.

On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans? I want to add this feature to picochess and also an UI. My main utility is after myself trying to understand endgames.
sje

Post by sje »

shiv wrote:On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans?
At present, I seriously doubt if I will be doing any more public tablebase stuff this year, if ever. Maybe someone else can help.
shiv

Post by shiv »

sje wrote:
shiv wrote:On tablebases, is there a simple way to query tablebases and show tablebase moves in an understandable form to humans?
At present, I seriously doubt if I will be doing any more public tablebase stuff this year, if ever. Maybe someone else can help.
No worries. However, I was just looking for one line of info. How do I perform a tablebase position in Linux or Mac OS? It looks like gaviota API can help. I still feel this is a lot of work to do a TB lookup, but perhaps such is life.
sje

Post by sje »

shiv wrote:How do I perform a tablebase position in Linux or Mac OS? It looks like gaviota API can help. I still feel this is a lot of work to do a TB lookup, but perhaps such is life.
I have no idea. I am not the person to ask.
Revolt

Help to do comms to DIY eboard

Post by Revolt »

Hi guys,
I am *VERY* interested in an open source means to do comms to an eboard.
If I can get advice from the programs author as to how to set up the eboard comms protocol I can expedite low cost, open source DIY eboard kits.

Have a look at this more detailed post..
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7015