Dedicated comp's and the end game

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Something like a Fidelity Excel Club 68000 in my opinion plays a very intelligent and competent endgame for it's overall playing strength. I think I would always defer to Fidelity machines with hash tables for the endgame as well as the strongest hash table Novags (though with limited experience with the Novag machines I still prefer the Fidelity endgame).

Of course these days with Resurrection II running strong engines (HIARCS is my engine pick over all other engines, especially in the endgame) there is no doubt as to what dedicated machine plays the strongest endgame, but only a very small number of people will ever have the luxury and enjoyment of owning one.
There is also the affordable picochess (just needing a DGT board, a DGT XL clock, and a raspberry pi) to replicate a dedicated computer experience.

On the endgame, Picochess uses stockfish, which I think is quite strong in endgames. I think Stockfish is stronger than Hiarcs in endgames, but seems to overvalue the 2 bishops.