Gavon is here.....

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

That case manufacturer looks interesting, especially given the design software option too. Sadly not had to use anything like this up till now but it would be nice to have a professional case for the adafruit display and buttons.

The Gavon engine count is now up to 8 with the addition of DiscoCheck in the version that Josu sent me last night 8)
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Wardy wrote:The Gavon engine count is now up to 8 with the addition of DiscoCheck in the version that Josu sent me last night 8)
Great new engine plus Josu has now provided a new 'Move Description' option of either g1f3 or now Nf3 which I think is a lot better.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Wardy wrote: The Gavon engine count is now up to 8 with the addition of DiscoCheck in the version that Josu sent me last night 8)
:idea: I’d break out the old strobe light and fog machine to witness a Gavon -- Rev II tango.

Saturday Night Fever Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:
Wardy wrote: The Gavon engine count is now up to 8 with the addition of DiscoCheck in the version that Josu sent me last night 8)
:idea: I’d break out the old strobe light and fog machine to witness a Gavon -- Rev II tango.

John
Does DiscoCheck utilize a Dancing Queen?
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Um... that would be this opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqV49us4J8

8) It’s really just a question of Stayin’ Alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9n7GirhsI
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Cyberchess wrote:

John
This is certainly possible, probably best to wait till the Rev 2 v Mysticum match concludes though?

I've booted my Pi into Raspbian overclocked to 800mhz with no hardware issues and it's easy enough to modify the boot configuration of Gavon to do the same. So matching hardware speeds is crudely possible.

Currently Gavon doesn't support pondering, not sure of the best way to try and level the field for this. I'm sure Josu will add this at some point though.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:
Currently Gavon doesn't support pondering, not sure of the best way to try and level the field for this. I'm sure Josu will add this at some point though.
no pondering??
:shock:
well then...a match against the Rev II is certainly a MUST

Staying...errr...Eating Alive Regards
Steve
:P
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Steve B wrote:
Wardy wrote:
no pondering??

Steve
:-) it could be interesting to have a pondering mismatch so to speak, the current Stockfish version in Gavon is also relatively old too but as a relative test of the current state of Gavon against a Rev II it could still be an interesting match.

I still plan to get a few more Pi's when I get some time and also investigate Pycochess......

Perhaps some kind of round robin might be in order???
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Wardy wrote:
no pondering??

Steve
:-) it could be interesting to have a pondering mismatch so to speak, the current Stockfish version in Gavon is also relatively old too but as a relative test of the current state of Gavon against a Rev II it could still be an interesting match.

I still plan to get a few more Pi's when I get some time and also investigate Pycochess......

Perhaps some kind of round robin might be in order???
actually Paul
you are probably one of the few people on earth that owns both the Rev II and the Gavon
so you are in a unique position to runs some matches on your own which would be quite interesting

Spectating Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I don't own a Rev II just yet! Still awaiting news from Ruud on that.

Until then, Josu has just emailed to say he'll add pondering as a UCI option for those engines that support it and a novag style rotating display to show evaluation data etc to a version this weekend. So assuming testing goes well we could have a level playing field shortly.

So maybe a short match between us as a taster might be an option? Best of 5?

Obviously once my Rev appears I can do much more testing between the two ;-)
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Of course anyone else who owns a Rev II currently is welcome to be an opponent against Gavon too, Steve contributes a lot already.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:I don't own a Rev II just yet! Still awaiting news from Ruud on that.

Until then, Josu has just emailed to say he'll add pondering as a UCI option for those engines that support it and a novag style rotating display to show evaluation data etc to a version this weekend. So assuming testing goes well we could have a level playing field shortly.

So maybe a short match between us as a taster might be an option? Best of 5?

Obviously once my Rev appears I can do much more testing between the two ;-)
Still need to finish the Rev II Match..with 2 games to go
my guess is you will have the Rev II in by the time my match is complete so you will probably be on your own with the Gavon
if after my match is over you STILL don't have the Rev II..we will arrange something

Where Is Your Rev II already Regards?
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Deal!

Fingers crossed it turns up shortly...............
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Excellent!

Perhaps Gavon (Disco Check) should dance with the Rev II’s Toga program. This would be reminiscent of the vintage frat film “Animal House”.

8) All night dorm party regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:Excellent!

Perhaps Gavon (Disco Check) should dance with the Rev II’s Toga program. This would be reminiscent of the vintage frat film “Animal House”.

8) All night dorm party regards,
John
Disco Inferno Regards
Steve