Anand Does it Again!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Anand Does it Again!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Congratulations to Vishy who has won the 2014 candidates tournament and will get his rematch v Carlsen in an attempt to become a 6x World Champion. 19 years after 1st getting to the final he does it again!

Full details here http://candidates2014.fide.com/

Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

A fantastic performance and an incredible achievement.

:D
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Still 1 round to go:
Larry

Post by Larry »

1.5 points clear of the field, aged in his mid 40,s. He is one of the all time greats.
L
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Aronian broke my heart...thought it was his time. Vishy did what he had to do and deserves the rematch...just hope he does something different in his preparation this time. I am pulling for him to take down Magnus.
Kind Regards,
Harry Miktarian
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Mark Uniacke wrote:A fantastic performance and an incredible achievement.

Which basically means another Match victory for Magnus Carlsen ....This time Anand has about a 5 percent chance to win a single game in the upcoming World Championship Match.............
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Somehow I think that Anand would fare better against Carlsen if he didn’t have the home court advantage this time.

I recall from my own games how I had been doing well in online blitz for the entire summer until my girlfriend came over and watched me play. The psychological pressure of my wanting to play my best blitz chess resulted in a sharp rating decline of about 200 points. I have fared much better as a guest player in clubs where the crowd of onlookers were clearly biased towards my opponent, as I didn’t have any worries about disappointing them.

Hoping for an exciting rematch regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:
I recall from my own games how I had been doing well in online blitz for the entire summer until my girlfriend came over and watched me play. The psychological pressure of my wanting to play my best blitz chess resulted in a sharp rating decline of about 200 points.
I can certainly understand how having a girlfriend nearby while you are playing ..can result in a drastic rating decline...although perhaps not for the reason you mentioned

:P

Im Just Sayin Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:
I recall from my own games how I had been doing well in online blitz for the entire summer until my girlfriend came over and watched me play. The psychological pressure of my wanting to play my best blitz chess resulted in a sharp rating decline of about 200 points.
I can certainly understand how having a girlfriend nearby while you are playing ..can result in a drastic rating decline...although perhaps not for the reason you mentioned

:P

Im Just Sayin Regards
Steve
:oops: Um… another factor…

:? Performance Anxiety Regards,
John
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

RadioSmall wrote:

Which basically means another Match victory for Magnus Carlsen ....This time Anand has about a 5 percent chance to win a single game in the upcoming World Championship Match.............
It means nothing of the sort, many wrote Vishy off after the last match and most did not give him a chance in this tournament. He proved in this tournament he is the strongest challenger to Carlsen.

Vishy's quality of play in this tournament was at a similar level to Carlsen's. In fact Dr Regan reported that Vishy's play was at 2945 Elo when analysing the move quality of Vishy's moves throughout the candidates tournament.

I hope Carlsen thinks it will be as easy as you do...
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Mark Uniacke wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:

It means nothing of the sort, many wrote Vishy off after the last match and most did not give him a chance in this tournament. He proved in this tournament he is the strongest challenger to Carlsen.

Vishy's quality of play in this tournament was at a similar level to Carlsen's. In fact Dr Regan reported that Vishy's play was at 2945 Elo when analysing the move quality of Vishy's moves throughout the candidates tournament.

He may be the strongest challenger , but a player that plays at 2945 Elo , even in a subset of games would not lose 3 games in a single match to Carlsen ..Dr Regan is deluding himself with this number big time..... Magnus will Crush Anand in the upcoming Match.....
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

RadioSmall wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:

He may be the strongest challenger , but a player that plays at 2945 Elo , even in a subset of games would not lose 3 games in a single match to Carlsen ..Dr Regan is deluding himself with this number big time..... Magnus will Crush Anand in the upcoming Match.....

The problem for Anand was that he didn't seem to have a clue how to tackle the problem Carlsen. Pre-match comments like "He's (Carlsen)ridiculously difficult to play against" says it all i.m.o.

His renewed vigour in play suggests we can all hope that he noticed something when analysing his games against Magnus. Maybe he will come back to crush and win back his title. It has been done many many times before...

I personally just hope and pray that Vishy won't try to confuse the Champ by copying his style of play. That could turn out to be to boooooring to watch!

Xavier
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I wonder if in this rematch Carlsen will win more easily or the match will be closer. Probably Anand will have to play in safe mode and the games will be boring but maybe is the only way for Anand to have a chance against Carlsen

Playing safe mode regards
Ricardo
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Vishy's quality of play in this tournament was at a similar level to Carlsen's. In fact Dr Regan reported that Vishy's play was at 2945 Elo when analysing the move quality of Vishy's moves throughout the candidates tournament.
As a general observation, I tend to think that people sometimes make more of performance ratings than they ought to. Yes, I think they are of interest, but performance ratings merely reflect the essence of human play versus the way a computer plays. A computer always plays at it's ELO rating (for better or worse) whereas a human can have a huge range of perceived playing strength.

I've played a few games in my life that a FIDE Master would have been proud of. And I have played many games that have elementary blunders in them. I have heard Expert rated players routinely say they have played games that are of IM calibre, yet they are still Expert rated players. But of course IM rated players will be playing games at times that are of high GM standard. And so it goes on.

The one thing that is of course relevant about the large disparities in human performance ratings versus actual ratings is that a lower rated player on their best day can meet a higher rated player on their worst day. That is fine for one off games, but I think it is stretching things a bit to think that such an occurrence is going to repeat itself game after game during a match. I've found in all the years of games I've played with computers, that once you get to 10 games or more (and these World Title matches tend to be at least that long), then the relative truths tend to come out.

Personally speaking, I had a lot of difficulty understanding why Anand was so seemingly so heavily criticised after the match last year. Afterall, he performed at his rating, as did Carlsen. You can't really ask for more than that, though you can certainly hope for more than that.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

The candidates tournament was great having just retired and now have time i watched it all live on the TV with Youtube. Apart from the games i also enjoyed Victories comment shame she was playing in Germany for the last two games. She had a voice that made an old man happy "for sure" i can still hear her saying that mm. Never realised before you can get live chess wow i love it roll on the next tournament.