Is the elo system on hiarcs accurate?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kinge

Is the elo system on hiarcs accurate?

Post by kinge »

Basicly... I used to play ALOT of chess and I started again not too long ago. I have hiarcs and I am wondering if the elo system is accurate, if not how much is 2000 elo = to. Also is 2000 actually expert? Is 2000 elo actually = 2000 elo? Be honest please, I just want to know if I am actually good
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I doubt that any computer engine handicap rating is accurate with the human FIDE scale that we are use to. I have played Hiarcs against myself and other engines with handicap levels to gauge how reliable the ratings are and see that either my rating and the other engine ratings are wrong or that Hiarcs rating is wrong. Chess engine developers have struggled with this handicap method to dumb down an engine to make it look like it performs at a certain Human elo level.
Monsieur Plastique

Re: Is the elo system on hiarcs accurate?

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

kinge wrote:Basicly... I used to play ALOT of chess and I started again not too long ago. I have hiarcs and I am wondering if the elo system is accurate, if not how much is 2000 elo = to. Also is 2000 actually expert? Is 2000 elo actually = 2000 elo? Be honest please, I just want to know if I am actually good
Unfortunately I would have to say no :( In all my experience with engines, when handicapped to a particular ELO level, they always play considerably below that level. Some engines will do it better than others though, but I've never come across any engine that plays accurately to the handicapped level. If I had to come up with a rough figure, I's say they tend to play about 300 - 400 points lower than the rating you select. So if you select, say 2400, you'd probably find it getting fairly close to a real FIDE 2000.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
IA

Re: Is the elo system on hiarcs accurate?

Post by IA »

kinge wrote:Basicly... I used to play ALOT of chess and I started again not too long ago. I have hiarcs and I am wondering if the elo system is accurate, if not how much is 2000 elo = to. Also is 2000 actually expert? Is 2000 elo actually = 2000 elo? Be honest please, I just want to know if I am actually good
Hello Kinge, Palm Hiarcs 12.1 works great and tells you where you made mistakes... :wink:

Regards.
jarek

Post by jarek »

Hi Kinge,
it seems that Hiarcs set to strenth 2000 ELO plays above this strength.
see here LimitStrength tournament
regards,
Jarek
Last edited by jarek on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
martinus

Post by martinus »

In my view this question is simple:

a) When an human rated 2000 plays an human rated at a certain level (let's say 1600), this opponent will feel like a 1600 rated in a 3 0 blitz, a 2 12 blitz, a 40 moves in 2 hours standard and at correspondence chess! Ok?

b) When an human rated 2000 plays a computer set to 1600, the computer opponent will feel like a:
1800 rated in a 3 0 blitz
1600 rated in a 2 12 blitz
1400 rated in a 20 moves in 2 hours standard
1200 rated in a correspondence chess game

So, what we need here is to accept that a computer chess rating is variable for a certain time, like:

- Computer engine (let's say Hiarcs here) set to 1600 plays at 1600 in long blitz games with increment. At Lightning and fast blitz it plays at 1800, in Standard it plays at 1400 and for unlimited human use of time (Correspondence Chess) it plays at 1200.

See you!