Sad...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Sad...

Post by Fernando »

Sad to see how fgew visits this place has. I come here once a day at least with the desire to read something new and/or see an answer to my own stuff and almost all the time nobody is here, cold take my heart, I feel like is best not to comeback.
Mmmmm

Fern
Festina Lente
IA

Post by IA »

Hi Fernando, some people go to the forum having little new mainly in the portable world, Hiarcs was once a leader in this field and many we entered the forum to see the latest news and updates Palm, Pocket PC .... But now everything is focused on PC and Mac and people have changed a lot in recent years.

In the era of Smartphone and Tablet not have world champion Hiarcs program for Android has disappointed many customers, which I am, I just hope that the next computer revolution with the launch of Windows Phone 9 I have the portable version Hiarcs 15 as the longed version of Hiarcs Android just never come.

Already Fernando anything you do not like chess programs for Smartphone and Tablet, but today the Smartphone are present and are substitutes for PDAs famous years ago.

Regards Fernando... :D
pr1uk

Re: Sad...

Post by pr1uk »

Fernando wrote:Sad to see how fgew visits this place has. I come here once a day at least with the desire to read something new and/or see an answer to my own stuff and almost all the time nobody is here, cold take my heart, I feel like is best not to comeback.
Mmmmm

Fern
Now that would be sad if you never came back
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Sad to see how fgew visits this place has. I come here once a day at least with the desire to read something new and/or see an answer to my own stuff and almost all the time nobody is here, cold take my heart, I feel like is best not to comeback.
Mmmmm

Fern
Outside Germany, you could almost count on your fingers the number
of people who are interested in collecting, or even discussing, dedicated
chess computers. We are a small bunch.
But don't go away. Just drop by maybe once or twice a week, that way
there will normally be enough to keep you reading for a few minutes at least.
I found on ebay a chess computer just for you. It has seen better days
but still works ok. The seller may ship to Chile, you have to ask. It will
kick your butt....here it is:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261490748738 ... 1438.l2649
L
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Its quality not quantity that matters here.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cubeman wrote:Its quality not quantity that matters here.
Well Said Regards
Steve
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote:...the desire to read something new...
Fern
Hello Fern.

I'm a fairly new member on this forum. I'm just an average chess player who has a great deal of love for HCE on Mac and iOS devices. I own a handful of newer dedicated machines, but have no interest in collecting "classic" chess computers (due to the cost and availability).

Mark's intro to this forum reads: "I am hoping we are going to have some interesting discussions on this new forum about Hiarcs, computer chess, dedicated chess computers, ... and many other subjects."

I've attempted to contribute to the forum on topics relating to modern computer chess (not related to "which is the most powerful engine"), but rather HIARCS on iOS, computer chess on Mac, DGT boards, PicoChess, etc...

It seems to me the majority of activity on this forum (however limited) appears to revolve around the Rev II & classic chess computers.

I'll certainly keep coming back to stay abreast of HCE updates, but don't have much to contribute on the two topics listed above.

Greg
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:
Cubeman wrote:Its quality not quantity that matters here.
Well Said Regards
Steve
Ain't that the truth. If you want to read absolutely inane stuff on a chess forum, go read the General Chess Discussion section of chess.com. It is the effluent of either very young kids or people with, well, issues.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I joined this forum back when it started, mainly the rage back then was Hiarcs on Palm and then as part of the Pocket Fritz series then iOS, my main interest is still the mobile chess field but now a days even hype over mobile chess is dwindling as there are no new developments and Android has surpassed Palm/Windows and iOS in terms of broad appeal with apps on Android being slightly more advanced. Would still like to see Hiarcs re-enter the fray with new engine and new platforms and to use the multicore advantages of all the new handheld mobile devices. But even I use my mobile now a days for the online aspect of chess and not so much the study of chess.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cubeman wrote:Would still like to see Hiarcs re-enter the fray with new engine and new platforms and to use the multicore advantages of all the new handheld mobile devices.
+1 Cubeman. A new version of Deep HIARCS running on a multicore iPhone AND interfacing with a DGT USB board would be my personal Nirvana!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Fern, All

Greetings!

I do visit regularly, but remember that Computer Chess is a niche area, and we tend to have different interests within that, e.g. collecting, iOS, 'dedicated' (table top) machines (past and present) ...

Wouldn't it be great if future engines could summarise why they were making a certain move, especially in a complex position. e.g. The display might read

'My recommendation is ... which weakens Black's Kingside pawns. I rejected playing ... on account of ...' etc.

That would be a great training tool.

Different topic - I understand from Ruud that v 3.10 will be released soon for the Rev 2. Thanks to All who have helped me get the best out of mine.

Best Wishes

Shaun
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Well, I got what I wanted, a lot of posts about what I said. :-)
BTW, It is a sad truth that this field is losing interest and not due to poverty, but of excessive riches. There are too many engines, too powerful, every day a new one, etc. Besides that, it looks like that everything that could be discussed already was discussed and even fought long ago.
That is one of the reasons this place is attractive, as much to talk of old machines has an aura that no engine can have. Any of them no matter if we have it or we wanted to have it when it was new, is surrounded by an atmosphere which is oir life, the days when we bough it or seen it or desired it, the first day of the machine in the table of our house, the first game, the smell of new stuff, etc, etc, not to mention the long history of awful defeats and glorious -even if scarce- victories.
So we can get a kick from them because our life and because of the experiences of other people. I like to read about how Mr. X got this or that machine.
I am playing in this very moment old Chess Challenger 7, which no doubt I am defeating slowly -as any machine can slaughter you if you get too much confident- but the essential thing about this game is that makes me remember the very first game I played against it just one hour or two after I bought it some moment in 1979 o 1980. Hoe many emotions overwhelmed me in that moment! And at least a shadow of them I experiment now, when at 65 years of age I play CC7.
That is the thing we pursue here, pals.

Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Post by Larry »

That's the spirit, Fernando.
Firstly, regarding engines. I have nothing against them and used to be
interested, even downloading the latest version of this one or that one.
No more...there are just too many. And perish the thought of actually
paying for one. Hiarcs being an obvious exception. :lol:
The Fidelity '8' level with it's light on every square was my first foray
into the world of dedicated units. I currently own about 70 or so units.
A small collection by some standards, but I do start getting a feeling of
being snowed under by too many machines. It becomes too hard to store
them. About half of mine are handhelds, and they can easily fit into a
wooden chest at the foot of the bed. The tabletops are in the wardrobe,
and there is very little spare room for more.
While I have spent good money building up the collection, come selling
time the money will come back, and look at the fun factor along the way.
Of course part of the fun is dropping into forums like this and reading
the thoughts of other like minded collectors. Yes, days go by with hardly
a single post, but that's the nature of our hobby.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote: While I have spent good money building up the collection, come selling
time the money will come back, and look at the fun factor along the way.
L
is that your long-Range plan Larry?
sell them all ...one-by-one ...in the far distant future?

while i can see myself losing interest in the old computers some day..
i dont see myself ever selling them
perhaps giving them away...or better yet...

Being Buried With Them Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I had, too, challenger 8, kind of a revamped CC7 with almost same program, but I was so a bad player that I lost many game to it. You have a bigger collection than mine, which is below 20 machines, more or less. In fact I do not deserve to be called a collector. Several of those machines were given to me by Steve Blincoe, a generous guy and REAL collector, perhaps one of the 2 or 3 bigger of the world. Other I bought in eBay but not anymore as much my financial situation is OK, but not that good to expend money in a unit that comes to me at double price due to mail delivery to a so far country as mine.
I think I have enough. from time to time I take a stroll along sites of machines and looks at them and read his specs, but there I stop.
You see, old age is to lose interest and stamina for everything....

Fern
Festina Lente